Ported material

Ported Material  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think material with ported content belongs on this site?

• In it's own section.
    • Mixed in with all of the original art
    • In the Nonsense thread.

e.g. "That Jar Jar Binks model you've made looks bad, why not just port it from ____?" is not constructive criticism. It is not helpful to the modder and is very disrespectful. When people put themselves out there and take up something like modelling - something that has a steep learning curve - then criticism is to be expected, but negatively comparing people's original work to ports just shoots down any motivation for that modeller to continue to learn, work and improve their finished product.

Fortunately, this type of behavior is covered under our rules (Don't be a jerk). I've seen what you describe and we can try to coerce people not to do it.

Ultimately I think there could be an argument that discussion of porting material (or encouraging others to port material) can be construed to say that JKHub encourages copyright infringement, but this is not the case. So it's something to thing about.

However, neither the rules regarding ported content (content which is wholly ported from other sources = not okay, content which uses ported content in terms of a remix = okay, but JKHub defers liability to uploaders) nor the file categorization is going to change. The rules aren't going to change because we've had the debate many times before and it boils down to the same facts. The categorization isn't going to change because:

1. We (frankly) have too many categories as it is. There's some categories with only 1 or 2 files in them. Also it's likely that file uploaders will try and put their files in other categories.

2. Adding a "Contains Ported Content" tag is something that file uploaders aren't going to put on their files.

3. Related to the above:  we can't effectively police what files are ports anyway (and neither could jk2files). We rely on people having a keen eye for a port when they see it. If we tried too hard to police ports, we'd be put in a position where we assume liability for the content, and those are both things that we don't want.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

@@eezstreet

Im glad YOU'VE come to an agreement lol

Im just bustin your balls.

Port your hearts out then. I just wont consider your material worth viewing, or you an artist, or continue this charade that "hard work" goes into them, and I feel it degrades the site. Im over it lets move on.

Moderators can detect that in most of the cases till the uploader's file will be approved I guess.

In most cases, I suppose. It still makes us look as if we're trying to foster it, which is not really the case. It's more accommodation than appreciation.

@@eezstreet

Im glad YOU'VE come to an agreement lol

Im just bustin your balls.

Port your hearts out then. I just wont consider your material worth viewing, or you an artist, or continue this charade that "hard work" goes into them, and I feel it degrades the site. Im over it lets move on.

Er, I don't know if you intended this, but that came across as a really weird personal attack?

Damn Chalk not again, I thought you let it go! xD

I don't think anyone who ports content into JKA generally considers themselves for that specific piece of content as an "artist", those that do are just being egotistic because they're putting something into JKA which doesn't exist yet and at that stage where they're simply proud of themselves, just like in any situation. Porting still isn't a 5 minute job though, if it's just something that has 100% weight like a helmet then fine I completely agree with where you're coming from, but for me it still gets treated the same "technically" as any other model, in regards ONLY to the weighing process; aligning the model to the jka skeleton, assigning correct weights etc. It's a 50/50 thing for me (if we're still discussing all of this), so long as those who post ported content don't claim the model creation as their own work. There's still a lot of man hours that go into putting a model that isn't scaled/posed correctly to JKA's skeleton and making it playable in-game.

Damn Chalk not again, I thought you let it go! xD

I don't think anyone who ports content into JKA generally considers themselves for that specific piece of content as an "artist", those that do are just being egotistic because they're putting something into JKA which doesn't exist yet and at that stage where they're simply proud of themselves, just like in any situation. Porting still isn't a 5 minute job though, if it's just something that has 100% weight like a helmet then fine I completely agree with where you're coming from, but for me it still gets treated the same "technically" as any other model, in regards ONLY to the weighing process; aligning the model to the jka skeleton, assigning correct weights etc. It's a 50/50 thing for me (if we're still discussing all of this), so long as those who post ported content don't claim the model creation as their own work. There's still a lot of man hours that go into putting a model that isn't scaled/posed correctly to JKA's skeleton and making it playable in-game.

I disagree.

It's really just a matter of getting that content ingame. There's no creative license there. No matter how hard or difficult it is to do shouldn't matter.

Bek likes this

It was more saying that porting into jka doesnt involve any real "hard work", which is a lie as weighing models isn't the simplest process (unless it's just a helmet as mentioned). It wasn't anything about the artist/creative side, as did say.. porting content shouldn't be considered an artist's role but at the same time it's still not a 2 minute process. But it's fine this topic has reached it's end so I won't intervene anymore here.

Arbok, Ramikad and TheWhitePhoenix like this

It was more saying that porting into jka doesnt involve any real "hard work", which is a lie as weighing models isn't the simplest process (unless it's just a helmet as mentioned). It wasn't anything about the artist/creative side, as did say.. porting content shouldn't be considered an artist's role but at the same time it's still not a 2 minute process. But it's fine this topic has reached it's end so I won't intervene anymore here.

I am not trying to be dismissive of your thoughts, I was merely pointing out how that factors into the discussion.