**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

Pretty much this. I followed the mod rather religiously back in its prime. The audio was processed through what was then the highest quality software and sound card(s). The result were higher quality midis that had been processed to mp3s.

On a note related to the project I completely obliterated the entire top of level 7 (Ramses Hed), which was what I had added on from DarkStartMojo's work on the lower floor. I tinker with it now and again, but the goal is to return to something more true to the original level. Some of the mod's levels take a little license on adding extra geometry (particularly Gromas Mines and the Imperial Prison), but this level really should stay pretty true to the original. I don't see the need to do much more than add detail to the original elevations/hallways/rooms/etc.

I've reinstalled all my old tools and source to move forward, but it will always be at an incredibly slow pace. I was recently laid off from my job so I have free time until I find something new. I'll be lucky if I get level 7 redone and put the finishing touches on 8. I know I had my fair share of naysayers as far as directions I took, so I'll be taking their opinions into account. That being said I'll take opinions of those who assist with the mod more so.

Sucks about your job, dude. BUT this is back on track, as you said, at a slow pace though. Fingers crossed.

I'd hesitate to even say it's back on track. I don't want to make any commitments. I work on it occasionally, but I feel like I misled people into thinking this could actually get completed last time. Short of someone making a tool to physically convert the original Dark Forces levels for reference I don't see how it could. All of the programming issues I could (somewhat) easily tackle, and the community could handle any few remaining models that are left, but the maps, that's a HUGE bottleneck. I am going to send the original level files to the author of 3D Object Converter. If he can get them to load, the tool has the ability to export into multiple formats. From there I can scale to size and import, then rebuild things section by section, making life much simpler. It might not turn out quite as "Ultra HD" as the community might like, but I can physically build detail into areas, or use those areas as a reference and rebuild whole sections, or (worst case scenario) simply run the original geometry. I really don't want to just straight up port geometry, but at the same time I'm just one person. Having an incomplete-yet-completable game might spark interest from mappers outside the community to help.

I'd hesitate to even say it's back on track. I don't want to make any commitments. I work on it occasionally, but I feel like I misled people into thinking this could actually get completed last time. Short of someone making a tool to physically convert the original Dark Forces levels for reference I don't see how it could. All of the programming issues I could (somewhat) easily tackle, and the community could handle any few remaining models that are left, but the maps, that's a HUGE bottleneck. I am going to send the original level files to the author of 3D Object Converter. If he can get them to load, the tool has the ability to export into multiple formats. From there I can scale to size and import, then rebuild things section by section, making life much simpler. It might not turn out quite as "Ultra HD" as the community might like, but I can physically build detail into areas, or use those areas as a reference and rebuild whole sections, or (worst case scenario) simply run the original geometry. I really don't want to just straight up port geometry, but at the same time I'm just one person. Having an incomplete-yet-completable game might spark interest from mappers outside the community to help.

You know, at this point, I'll say "do what you must". Even if you have to convert the remainder of the levels from the original game, thus not making it as easy on the eyes unless someone grew up in the 90s (like me), the effort will be what truly matters.

Heh, it's funny to hear you say that. I still find the original game's architecture to be enough to envelop me into the game (except maybe a few major exterior scenes). I'm 37, so I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to not needing things to be ultra amazing looking to enjoy thoroughly. I'm not opposed to it, but I also don't have that kind of devotion and time. Levels 11 and 12 could totally reuse most of the original geometry and still be pretty convincing. Hopefully something turns out with 3D Object Converter so this can pick up some steam. Details can come later if someone else is interested.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

If he can get them to load, the tool has the ability to export into multiple formats. From there I can scale to size and import, then rebuild things section by section, making life much simpler. It might not turn out quite as "Ultra HD" as the community might like, but I can physically build detail into areas, or use those areas as a reference and rebuild whole sections, or (worst case scenario) simply run the original geometry. I really don't want to just straight up port geometry, but at the same time I'm just one person. Having an incomplete-yet-completable game might spark interest from mappers outside the community to help.

Honestly, if you could plug the missing gaps with straight-up ported geometry but, as you said create a completable game, I think that would be a HUG achievement.

Updates:

• Sent samples of the Dark Forces level format, along with a link to the XL Engine source code to the author of 3D Object Converter. Hopefully with that plus my format documentation he/she will be able to write a plugin. If so I'll purchase a license so I can convert it to a common 3D format, export to .map in Blender, then dump it into GTKRadiant to get some more traction on this project.
  • Send a DevianArt message to DarkStarMojo, who had level 7 totally complete and did extensive work on level 9. Whatever I get from him would be a massive increase in productivity. I don't expect to hear from him since very other way of contact I've tried has failed, but you never know.
  • Just for fun, here are a few screenshots of level 8 with some VERY early lighting. I can't remember if any of them are actually new areas.

LEVEL 8 - ICE STATION BETA

26fuICo.jpg
DhqC4qZ.jpg
5Ma6SqF.jpg
iOL5loC.jpg
i03H6Lw.jpg
8io4ae0.jpg

Lastly, I was trying to come up with some sort of canon-ish way to present the fact that when you go up the elevator in the middle of level 7 that you're actually transitioning into a ship. In the original game it was hard to understand that. Since the hallways look Corellian, I thought I could use the Gozanti-class cruiser as the "ship" you're getting into. My thought is a more obvious "airlock" will help players to understand, and perhaps a schematic image on a monitor before you transition into the ship. Whatever it is, I don't want to add something ultra complex, but rather a simple solution so that we don't lose the essence of what it is. Here are some images of the Gozanti-class cruiser. I don't know for sure it has any of those Tantive IV-style white hallways, but it's Corellian, and it seems like it'd be the right dimensions. Thoughts on this idea?

Imperial_Freighter.jpg
9e94dcc73f4d108678018a514b3d6ed5.jpg

When i played this mod - Dark Forces mod from 2008 i loved many things... but i rly loved that You are using guns only... Most of Sp modifications focus on the characters with the lightsaber.. i think making some blaster action and overall guns mechanics in Jedi Academy are... very .. well made o.o I mean we have rly great variation of weapons .. 

Jeff, LucyTheAlien, yeyo JK and 7 others like this

Heard back from the creator of 3D Object Converter. Though it turns out we know each other on Zenhax.com, he wasn't interested in this format. Still, it was a longshot. Luckily GTKRadiant allows you to import images to work from like modeling programs do, so I can always create a top-down screenshot to work from.

lpriefer01 likes this

Heard back from the creator of 3D Object Converter. Though it turns out we know each other on Zenhax.com, he wasn't interested in this format. Still, it was a longshot. Luckily GTKRadiant allows you to import images to work from like modeling programs do, so I can always create a top-down screenshot to work from.

At least he was kind enough to respond back to you. :)

Teancum, AngelModder and lpriefer01 like this
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh man I'm so glad we're finally getting back to the Dark Forces Mod!! It's been so long since I can now imagine Kyle Katarn working for Section 9, it's just that I've actually been watching the new live action Ghost in the Shell film with Scarlett Johansson. Loved the film since it takes elements from the original anime film, it's squeal Innocence, and Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig! Anyways wrong topic (lol), Dark Forces Mod is one of my favorite Star Wars shooter games and I'll always keep playing it everytime. BTW since April Fools was yesterday, who remembers Lucasarts promoting a game that was meant to be a remake of the game we're currently making called "Dark Forces Gold"? Bet they fooled us there! :lol:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040407192636/http://darkforces.jediknight.net/fool.htm

TheWhitePhoenix and yeyo JK like this
  • 2 weeks later...

Right, so I'm trying my hand at rigging now. I downloaded the 3DSMax trial to convert Mohc to a .3ds file, and I'm going to rig him up in Blender. More specifically I'll probably be rigging him to Hap's Imperial Officer improvement as that has caps. I tried using JO's skeleton with Hap's file, but was getting errors, so that sucks -- but at least the body will have all its caps, etc and I'll just need to rig the model to JA's skeleton

Hello here, i wasn't aware about this project but it looks awesome !

It's the mod then ? Do we need JK2 or JK academy to load it ? Im a bit lost with all the pages... I can share it on some retro/classic fps websites who are not aware of this project !
There is a group in fb who is called "classic fps fans", there is some fans of Dark Forces games, they should be happy to know this project !  :D 

Jeff likes this
  • 1 month later...

Updates:

• Sent samples of the Dark Forces level format, along with a link to the XL Engine source code to the author of 3D Object Converter. Hopefully with that plus my format documentation he/she will be able to write a plugin. If so I'll purchase a license so I can convert it to a common 3D format, export to .map in Blender, then dump it into GTKRadiant to get some more traction on this project.
  • Send a DevianArt message to DarkStarMojo, who had level 7 totally complete and did extensive work on level 9. Whatever I get from him would be a massive increase in productivity. I don't expect to hear from him since very other way of contact I've tried has failed, but you never know.
  • Just for fun, here are a few screenshots of level 8 with some VERY early lighting. I can't remember if any of them are actually new areas.

LEVEL 8 - ICE STATION BETA

26fuICo.jpg

DhqC4qZ.jpg

5Ma6SqF.jpg

iOL5loC.jpg

i03H6Lw.jpg

8io4ae0.jpg

Lastly, I was trying to come up with some sort of canon-ish way to present the fact that when you go up the elevator in the middle of level 7 that you're actually transitioning into a ship. In the original game it was hard to understand that. Since the hallways look Corellian, I thought I could use the Gozanti-class cruiser as the "ship" you're getting into. My thought is a more obvious "airlock" will help players to understand, and perhaps a schematic image on a monitor before you transition into the ship. Whatever it is, I don't want to add something ultra complex, but rather a simple solution so that we don't lose the essence of what it is. Here are some images of the Gozanti-class cruiser. I don't know for sure it has any of those Tantive IV-style white hallways, but it's Corellian, and it seems like it'd be the right dimensions. Thoughts on this idea?

Imperial_Freighter.jpg

9e94dcc73f4d108678018a514b3d6ed5.jpg

I've recently been replaying the OG game and just beat level 7 a week ago. I had a hard time figuring out what was going on - those interior halls did, indeed, feel like a Corellian ship (aka it reminded me of the opening of SW ANH), but there were Imperial-marked doors, so I didn't know if it was a Corellian ship that was perhaps inside a Star Destroyer, or what. Further, I was confused by the fact that your goal is to get to ANOTHER ship and leave a tracking device on it. Were you basically supposed to be cutting through this Corellian ship at the same dock to come out the other side and plant the tracking device?

I think some kind of a 'blueprint' or mall style 'you are here' schematic (or series of schematics as you progress) would be super helpful.

ZanderNao likes this

I have never played Dark Forces that is probably an unforgivable sin.

Why do not make a mobile version of this Android/iOS. I would giv3 it a try definitely.

I am genuinely curious of the story.

While ago there was a Jedi Academy Emulator for Android and it was doing quite well.

Are any of the Android ports actually in good legal standing?

Actually not, because the developer made money with them. But on the other hand, he only provided an "emulator" for each game. The asset files needed to be added seperately, so it was required to own a copy of the game.

There were more ports, like Quake 1-3 and Wolfenstein. Unfortunately, those ports have vanished from Google Play, probably due to legal reasons. At least they don't appear in my country anymore. But still, the idea is great to have games like Jedi Academy running on an Android device.