**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

Regardless I start my new career job a week from Monday and it so at that point I'll probably stop the mod. I hadn't planned on announcing it yet, but it's just too huge and undertaking and expectations are such that it's assumed that I'll finish most of the levels. That's just beyond my capabilities.

I had a feeling this might happen, it's a lot of work for one person. It was the reason why originally I asked if you'd be willing to collaborate and our 2 mods could share material. Maybe then it could have even drawn enough attention to where some more capable modders would be willing to help out.

Hope you pick at this from time to time still, the original DF mod demo to me was the best example of what a TC should be, it felt like another game and not just a modified version of another.

I had a feeling this might happen, it's a lot of work for one person. It was the reason why originally I asked if you'd be willing to collaborate and our 2 mods could share material. Maybe then it could have even drawn enough attention to where some more capable modders would be willing to help out.

Hope you pick at this from time to time still, the original DF mod demo to me was the best example of what a TC should be, it felt like another game and not just a modified version of another.

Yeah, really it came down to spending a few hundred vs several hundred hours on a mod. Eight levels versus somewhere in the high teens of levels. (I think you have a few pretty much done, yeah?) Anyway, you're always welcome to anything I get knocked out or that's contributed to me. And don't forget if you need UI or code updates you can ping me.

But I'll say officially that I think I'm going to keep at it as long as I can, but just at a slower pace based on my amount of free time as my career starts. I feel totally confident that two more levels can be churned out.

Upload incoming of the most recent build I have. Work has made me much busier than I anticipated, so I wanted to make sure that if I wasn't able to get back to modding the mod's files didn't get lost to time. I'm not quitting yet, just archiving.

• To try out some of the maps, use devmap and then the map name. The names are ramshed, robotics, narshada, jabshipfuelstat, and executor. Impcity and archamer are not included in this build as they're just one room. Ramshed and Robotics are the most complete. All maps are incomplete, but they're fun to explore
  • You can spawn and take a look at Dark Forces Jan, but I don't think I made an NPC file for her, so you'll have to do that separate
  • You'll see textures from the Mysteries of the Sith mod. I'm still hunting down permissions, but the mod won't work without them. As this is just an online backup I see no problem packaging publicly available files
  • I still haven't rebuilt the Kyle customization menu (for the third time), so for now there's no customization
  • To play, copy everything from the /!Dark/ folder in the rar file EXCEPT the /source code/ folder to your /Jedi Academy/GameData/ folder and run DarkForces.exe

https://www.mediafire.com/?5gg2l9ure8q4ckw

Upload incoming of the most recent build I have. Work has made me much busier than I anticipated, so I wanted to make sure that if I wasn't able to get back to modding the mod's files didn't get lost to time. I'm not quitting yet, just archiving.

• To try out some of the maps, use devmap and then the map name. The names are ramshed, robotics, narshada, jabshipfuelstat, and executor. Impcity and archamer are not included in this build as they're just one room. Ramshed and Robotics are the most complete. All maps are incomplete, but they're fun to explore
  • You can spawn and take a look at Dark Forces Jan, but I don't think I made an NPC file for her, so you'll have to do that separate
  • You'll see textures from the Mysteries of the Sith mod. I'm still hunting down permissions, but the mod won't work without them. As this is just an online backup I see no problem packaging publicly available files
  • I still haven't rebuilt the Kyle customization menu (for the third time), so for now there's no customization
  • To play, copy everything from the /!Dark/ folder in the rar file EXCEPT the /source code/ folder to your /Jedi Academy/GameData/ folder and run DarkForces.exe

Uploading now, watch this post for a later update

If I may make a suggestion, don't quit, but don't push yourself to focus on this singly in your spare time. Whatever time you HAVE for this, use it wisely and to your advantage.

I hope that you'll eventually catch a break as well, so you don't burn yourself out. That would suck very badly. Hang in there, Tean. You really have made an impact in the community. ^_^

Teancum and McGroose like this
  • 2 weeks later...

So gang, I'm sorry to say that the DF project update is officially cancelled. I only ever restarted it as a project until I got my new job, and since I've started working I've never looked back. I'd love to say that I'd come back to it, but frankly the process was so difficult for me that if I have time to mod again I'll either do smaller JKA mods, or more likely, mod other games. But let's be realistic here, there was no way whatsoever that this project would have ever been totally finished. There's just too much to do and too little man(woman)power to do it. I knew that from the start, but it was nice to have an early summer project for a while.

If I can find out who did the MotS mod textures I can upload the source files officially for anyone to tinker with our split out into separate mods (like Jan, Phase II, etc). But I honestly don't feel like digging too hard. Hopefully it'll be easy to track the texture artist down, or maybe the MotS mod source files have free use permissions. I also am in contact with Darth_Linux, who in turn is in contact with DarkStarMojo (though DarkStarMojo rarely checks his messages). If I ever get DarkStarMojo's map files I'll include them, and probably will compile them as part of the mod as a last hurrah.

Thanks to all who supported this mod, and I'm sorry if I got your hopes up. I had always planned on using this as something to do I got my job, and now I just have no interest in going back.

don't worry, as soon as the source files are released, i will see what .maps i can modify and possibly finish, then have the help of some others to do some of the other things, like @@ensiform, if he has the time to do so, finish some of the coding work, like make phase 2 dark trooper accuracy higher when flying, add the geometry code so that the fusion cutter's rotating barrel and alt fire work correctly, add a new phase 3 dark trooper class that has the special feats from the original game, and some other minor changes

minor changes

... good luck with that.

Being "minor", I mean. But in all honesty I do wish you good luck if you want to continue it. I just found the whole experience really frustrating. This is an amazing mod that deserves to be finished, but I'm just not the guy to get it done.

THE JEDI ARE TAKING OVAH :(.

shiiiiiiiiieeeeeet

in all seriousness, @@Teancum, could you at the very least, when you have time, finish the minor code edits needed to be finished, like phase 2 dts having low accuracy, wierd sound quality in roqs and some other sounds when not in eax (eax only fixes the sounds, not the roq audio, but has glitches with npc mouth sync in cutscenes), and some other things?

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

shiiiiiiiiieeeeeet

in all seriousness, @@Teancum, could you at the very least, when you have time, finish the minor code edits needed to be finished, like phase 2 dts having low accuracy, wierd sound quality in roqs and some other sounds when not in eax (eax only fixes the sounds, not the roq audio, but has glitches with npc mouth sync in cutscenes), and some other things?

Nope. Sorry. I have no idea how to do any of that to be honest. Never made it that far. Those would be huge fixes for me, but might be much easier for the OpenJK team.

Teancum, What matters the most is that you got a job that you're  satisfied with. That's much more important than working on a game mod. In the long run, it's definitely the smart choice for you to make your job your #1 priority. And ya, you're right to say that recreating the entire mod mainly by yourself would be unrealistic, but with what you have left us with, we're a significant step closer to that long-term goal. :)

To be honest, I'd just be content if someone can fix the DT Phases II + III to have properly animated jetpacks (blue flames) and to hold their weapons with both hands instead of shooting them like a pistol. If we can get someone to do that, I'm content.

If there's anything we can say about this endeavor, it's that we finally got some proper Dark Troopers in Jedi Academy. The possibilities are endless....  :ph34r:

Teancum, What matters the most is that you got a job that you're  satisfied with. That's much more important than working on a game mod. In the long run, it's definitely the smart choice for you to make your job your #1 priority. And ya, you're right to say that recreating the entire mod mainly by yourself would be unrealistic, but with what you have left us with, we're a significant step closer to that long-term goal. :)

To be honest, I'd just be content if someone can fix the DT Phases II + III to have properly animated jetpacks (blue flames) and to hold their weapons with both hands instead of shooting them like a pistol. If we can get someone to do that, I'm content.

If there's anything we can say about this endeavor, it's that we finally got some proper Dark Troopers in Jedi Academy. The possibilities are endless....  :ph34r:

If anything, @@Teancum has brought this mod one step closer to completion. And @dankswagmemezmaster could add to it bit by bit with what he can do, even if it's just a little bit with each update. Hell, I applaud him for his MOTS addon and small revival parts. So, when someone is ready to pick up the torch again, it'll be right here waiting for them. 

KyleKatarn1995 likes this

If anything, @@Teancum has brought this mod one step closer to completion. And @dankswagmemezmaster could add to it bit by bit with what he can do, even if it's just a little bit with each update. Hell, I applaud him for his MOTS addon and small revival parts. So, when someone is ready to pick up the torch again, it'll be right here waiting for them. 

I agree, let's hope this Dark Forces mod continues on sometime in the future.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been following the DF conversion mod since its conception, I think 2003.

What is it going to take to get the mod "complete," even if "complete" just means being able to go through rough versions of all the levels with proper cutscenes and music?

My understanding is the work is already more than halfway done. All the DF textures? Made. HUD? Made. DF original weapons? Made. Soundtrack ported in, new menu, rough skeletal outlines of each level, as far as my memory of the original website goes, all that is done already.

What is missing is polish, enemy placement, various event triggers, detail, etc... But make no mistake, in 2008 when this 6 level demo was released, more than half the work to make the mod was already done.

It's a life goal of mine to see the original mod finished. What would it take to get it there? I think the smartest and most realistic option is to finish what's already been started, where all the groundwork has already been laid.

Is there *any chance* of this ever being finished, even if it's rough? Not talking specifically to the TC here, I'm talking to the community.

What is it going to take to get the mod "complete," even if "complete" just means being able to go through rough versions of all the levels with proper cutscenes and music?

My understanding is the work is already more than halfway done. All the DF textures? Made. HUD? Made. DF original weapons? Made. Soundtrack ported in, new menu, rough skeletal outlines of each level, as far as my memory of the original website goes, all that is done already.

What is missing is polish, enemy placement, various event triggers, detail, etc... But make no mistake, in 2008 when this 6 level demo was released, more than half the work to make the mod was already done.

It's a life goal of mine to see the original mod finished. What would it take to get it there? I think the smartest and most realistic option is to finish what's already been started, where all the groundwork has already been laid.

Is there *any chance* of this ever being finished, even if it's rough? Not talking specifically to the TC here, I'm talking to the community.

Right now modders are focused on the DFII mod as opposed to the original Dark Forces. As for what it would take to get stuff finished, honestly it's probably mappers mostly and a few new models here and there. In my opinion the recent take on the DFMod went way off course. If only there was access to what the second team did with the DFMod. I don't know if anyone ever tried to reach DarkStarMojo for the stuff he and his team did.

KyleKatarn1995 likes this

Well none of the DF2 mod team members were ever part of this mod, this mod really hasn't had a full team in a very long time.

I was never too amazed with the original DF since it was really just a Doom/Nukem type game where the rest of the series (JK) had a much more dynamic and unique feel that really hasn't been replicated to this day. The one thing right now is a lot of major mods are focusing a lot on code ATM considering the massive changes being made to the game engine by way of OpenJK.

The mod needs talented mappers, texture artists and modelers.

yeyo JK likes this

A truckload of mapping work. The rest is beans compared to the probably 150+ man-hours of mapping work needed (as an extremely low estimate). Trouble is nobody is interesting in mapping.

Right now modders are focused on the DFII mod as opposed to the original Dark Forces. As for what it would take to get stuff finished, honestly it's probably mappers mostly and a few new models here and there. In my opinion the recent take on the DFMod went way off course. If only there was access to what the second team did with the DFMod. I don't know if anyone ever tried to reach DarkStarMojo for the stuff he and his team did.

Trouble is there wasn't really a course left to go on. I was sort of flying wherever the wind took me as I was still learning the engine. I did try several times to contact DarkStarMojo in several ways. I even went so far as to get a Facebook friend invite from the original team leader who then tried to introduce me to DarkStarMojo through Facebook, but he never responded.

Honestly no major-work mod has a chance of surviving this late in the game's life. I love the dedication of the team from the DF2 mod, but even then we're talking way over 20 levels. Neither mod will ever fully see the light of day. That's the reality, though I wish it weren't.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. Well, thanks for the update.

Related question, I guess. The original mod promised you would hear "the original music exactly as the composer intended." I'm pretty sure I have this soundtrack, and it does sound like a much higher quality synth than what you hear in the original game. My question is... where does it come from? Did the team just run through original source material through better quality synthesizers, or what? I can't seem to find any details on this.

Interesting. Well, thanks for the update.

Related question, I guess. The original mod promised you would hear "the original music exactly as the composer intended." I'm pretty sure I have this soundtrack, and it does sound like a much higher quality synth than what you hear in the original game. My question is... where does it come from? Did the team just run through original source material through better quality synthesizers, or what? I can't seem to find any details on this.

I think the team made it. Not sure exactly sure how, but I think they used some audio software or something. I remember reading something like that somewhere.

Pretty much this. I followed the mod rather religiously back in its prime. The audio was processed through what was then the highest quality software and sound card(s). The result were higher quality midis that had been processed to mp3s.

On a note related to the project I completely obliterated the entire top of level 7 (Ramses Hed), which was what I had added on from DarkStartMojo's work on the lower floor. I tinker with it now and again, but the goal is to return to something more true to the original level. Some of the mod's levels take a little license on adding extra geometry (particularly Gromas Mines and the Imperial Prison), but this level really should stay pretty true to the original. I don't see the need to do much more than add detail to the original elevations/hallways/rooms/etc.

I've reinstalled all my old tools and source to move forward, but it will always be at an incredibly slow pace. I was recently laid off from my job so I have free time until I find something new. I'll be lucky if I get level 7 redone and put the finishing touches on 8. I know I had my fair share of naysayers as far as directions I took, so I'll be taking their opinions into account. That being said I'll take opinions of those who assist with the mod more so.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this