**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

okay, i found out something: the hazardtrooper gets its animations not by getting hardcoded via class, but by a hazardtrooper.gla and animation.cfg in its model folder, so the phase II can get its animations by having its model.glm modified to use those animations

EDIT: actually, the model.glm NEEDS to be modified in terms of bones, as i just did what i said above, but i got an error saying the model.glm's bones are different from the animations: 3bHnWvR.jpg

okay, i found out something: the hazardtrooper gets its animations not by getting hardcoded via class, but by a hazardtrooper.gla and animation.cfg in its model folder, so the phase II can get its animations by having its model.glm modified to use those animations

EDIT: actually, the model.glm NEEDS to be modified in terms of bones, as i just did what i said above, but i got an error saying the model.glm's bones are different from the animations: 3bHnWvR.jpg

This is commonly known by most that have been modding this game for a while. Anything can have it's own skeleton, you just can't have a player in MP with a custom skeleton, all players in MP must use the _humanoid.gla. It's all about the compiling process, you need in depth knowledge of a 3d program and assimilate to make it all happen. I can share my knowledge of such things but most people just instantly assume it's too difficult without even attempting it.

eezstreet likes this

This is commonly known by most that have been modding this game for a while. Anything can have it's own skeleton, you just can't have a player in MP with a custom skeleton, all players in MP must use the _humanoid.gla. It's all about the compiling process, you need in depth knowledge of a 3d program and assimilate to make it all happen. I can share my knowledge of such things but most people just instantly assume it's too difficult without even attempting it.

the screenshot was sp

That's because the model is weighed to 1 skeleton and trying to reference an animation set that uses another, you cannot do that.

If you want animations for it you'll have to make them yourself.

i cannot do that unfortunately, yes it might be easy, but i don't have the time to do it, guessing @@Jeff or @@katanamaru could do it though

The Dark Troopers work fine using normal animations aside from their terrible aim. There are default animations for flying and landing. I'm not sure if they're just jump animations being use, but it looks fine.

The Dark Troopers work fine using normal animations aside from their terrible aim. There are default animations for flying and landing.

i know, just that phase 2 dark troopers would look better and cooler with the rocket trooper anims :)

the above screenshot with the jo stormie, text in the console, but replace the last part(53 != 236) with (0 != 40), what i did was i modified the model.glm with hxd hex editor, and changed its anim path from models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid to models/players/rockettrooper/rockettrooper, as the rockettrooper anim gla is located there

did that, same error as screenshot above, but says at the end: 0! =40 :(

That's not at all what he meant, actually. He meant rig it in 3DSMax/Softimage XSI to the original Rocket Trooper skeleton (hex editing won't help). But again, it's not necessary. They look great with the default skeleton. The Phase III might need torso animations that are wider so the arms don't clip, but the Phase II is fine. I haven't really looked much into the Phase III other than playing a round of multiplayer with @@Jeff's converted model. Since it'll be literally the last thing the player encounters and we may not get that far I don't want to spend a lot of energy on it.
swegmaster likes this

That's not at all what he meant, actually. He meant rig it in 3DSMax/Softimage XSI to the original Rocket Trooper skeleton (hex editing won't help). But again, it's not necessary. They look great with the default skeleton. The Phase III might need torso animations that are wider so the arms don't clip, but the Phase II is fine. I haven't really looked much into the Phase III other than playing a round of multiplayer with @@Jeff's converted model. Since it'll be literally the last thing the player encounters and we may not get that far I don't want to spend a lot of energy on it.

maybe not nessecary, but it would be an enhancement, part of the reason i'd like rocket trooper anims on the phase 2 is because i don't want it to look like its firing a blaster pistol when holding a repeater:

hhqEo5G.jpg

and who wouldn't want to see a phase 2 posed like this:

V3tAxGu.jpg

N8EQ10p.jpg

Fair enough point. We'll have to see if someone can right the Phase II and Phase III to the Jet Trooper skeleton.

***EDIT***

Small fix, but the ammo counter will no longer display for melee. I'm working on knocking out the last of the code requirements. I got that job I wanted and I start a week from Monday, so I want to get that out of the way. Since I'll have less time I'm not going to make totally separate entries for the new weapons, they'll replace the existing ones for the mod, but I'll make the source code available if someone wants to use it in their mod.

***EDIT #2***

Since we're going single barrel with the updated Fusion Cutter I went back to the DEMP-2 as my stand-in model. Now the alt fire will shoot a beam like the disruptor. Mortar Gun damage has been increased to 95, which is just 5 less than the rocket launcher.

Nar Shaddaa looks pretty awesome, but will it still be possible to beat the level in 30 seconds like in the original Dark Forces?

You know, by jumping to the bridge right next next to the room with the Nava Card? The bridge that's right at the beginning of the level? XD

KyleKatarn1995 likes this

just to be sure, when you make the maps @@Teancum, will you implement difficulty settings into them? like hard=more enemies, and easy=less enemies

and could you also make the stormtroopers active like in jo? i remember if you were escaping the stormies and there was an imp. officer of any kind around, it would actually command the stormies to find you