**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

Posting another backup. Again, please remember this isn't a beta or anything like that. It has everything up until I started having troubles. I think it's dated May 25. It doesn't include the new Dark Troopers or Jan that I know of. Just posting on the web so I have an alternate backup. I need to take another break as my maps build fine but they won't load in-game, staying at roughly 1/3 loaded and then eating a ton of CPU cycles and memory indefinitely.

Again -- NOT A BETA. It's just an online backup that other people can play around with. DO NOT REPORT BUGS

https://www.mediafire.com/?83cch9nn3n3aqyw

swegmaster and gabtrucker like this

Posting another backup. Again, please remember this isn't a beta or anything like that. It has everything up until I started having troubles. I think it's dated May 25. It doesn't include the new Dark Troopers or Jan that I know of. Just posting on the web so I have an alternate backup. I need to take another break as my maps build fine but they won't load in-game, staying at roughly 1/3 loaded and then eating a ton of CPU cycles and memory indefinitely.

Again -- NOT A BETA. It's just an online backup that other people can play around with. DO NOT REPORT BUGS

https://www.mediafire.com/?83cch9nn3n3aqyw

oh relax, i'm not gonna report bugs, in fact, i might as well post some footage of the backup so that people can get an idea of what to expect :)

Teancum and TheWhitePhoenix like this

IMAGE DUMP TIME!

Still VERY work in progress, but this is an improvement over the old version, yes?

**Ignore the framerate. I haven't done a -vis pass yet, so that will improve.

WC4lGFw.jpg

SvP38rq.jpg

BAvBkES.jpg

J4heam6.jpg

what framerate? because the map crashes for me everytime with the 2nd backup :(, and this is on a fresh 2nd build backup, as well as replacing all dlls, i don't wish to bug report, but do you know anything about this @@Teancum?

what framerate? because the map crashes for me everytime with the 2nd backup :(, and this is on a fresh 2nd build backup, as well as replacing all dlls, i don't wish to bug report, but do you know anything about this @@Teancum?

This isn't the same map. I completely scrapped the exterior of that version because of the crashing, which is also why I needed the break. After starting the outside over again I think it looks much better. The outside walls look closer to the original (might still swap textures) and I like the way the ice canyon walls surround it.

swegmaster likes this

This isn't the same map. I completely scrapped the exterior of that version because of the crashing, which is also why I needed the break. After starting the outside over again I think it looks much better. The outside walls look closer to the original (might still swap textures) and I like the way the ice canyon walls surround it.

well, thats good to hear :), and have you already shared the map? i wondered that because you gave the framerate warning

Just got several map sources from @@hhunter6 -- most of them are the same as what I have or close to it. Some just have fixes and optimizations, but Nar Shaddaa is really far along. That'll help immensely. Posting screenies. No enemies cuz I done killed them all before thinking about taking screenshots. I'd say the geometry is only about 60-70% done, but what's there is totally complete, including finishing work. All the enemies have waypoints, lights are in place, finishing brush work, etc.

1Iq2ajT.jpg
nkbqABQ.jpg
slJ0VgT.jpg
yeXxmuJ.jpg
IWPr2rs.jpg
mDGLnAe.jpg
FkWbRek.jpg

Smoo, Barricade24, Maksman and 8 others like this

Just got several map sources from @@hhunter6 -- most of them are the same as what I have or close to it. Some just have fixes and optimizations, but Nar Shaddaa is really far along. That'll help immensely. Posting screenies. No enemies cuz I done killed them all before thinking about taking screenshots. I'd say the geometry is only about 60-70% done, but what's there is totally complete, including finishing work. All the enemies have waypoints, lights are in place, finishing brush work, etc.

1Iq2ajT.jpg

nkbqABQ.jpg

nkbqABQ.jpg

slJ0VgT.jpg

yeXxmuJ.jpg

IWPr2rs.jpg

mDGLnAe.jpg

FkWbRek.jpg

holy crap thats cool  :sun:

1Iq2ajT.jpg

nkbqABQ.jpg

slJ0VgT.jpg

yeXxmuJ.jpg

IWPr2rs.jpg

mDGLnAe.jpg

FkWbRek.jpg

This level totally reminds me of Niihama from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I love this one!! :D

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

Thought I'd give a general update on where we are. It's kind of hard to see what stage we're at when I'm always bouncing around with different things. So listed below is basically everything needed after the last release.

MODELS

• Jeron Fusion Cutter - 30%
    • Using the cancelled Battlefront III model. Model is obviously complete, but has not been converted
  • Mortar Gun - 90%
    • Original model is complete. Some users have suggested using JK Galaxies' weapon. Since I haven't checked with the JK Galaxies staff to even see if that's possible, we'll call this 90%
  • Assault Cannon - 0%
    • The DF team's model is giant and clunky, and clips weird in widescreen ratios. This one will need a full remodel.
  • Phase II Dark Trooper - 100%
    • @@Jeff converted the Empire at War: Forces of Corruption model, then added the Jet Trooper's legs. He then adjusted the texture color. Model-wise it's perfect!
  • Phase III Dark Trooper - 100%
    • Converted from the cancelled Battlefront III game by @@Jeff. Looks great!
  • Kyle model(s) - 90%
    • Need the DF Kyle kitbashed as an alternate head for the JO model, and vice versa
  • General Mohc - 30%
    • HapSlash's original model was found, but it needs rigging, caps, and whatever else people who rig models might think it needs. Technically speaking it's a cutscene-only model, but others might want to use the model in multiplayer, thus the 30%. As far as "official" mod status it only needs rigged, so I'll call it 75% as far as that's concerned.
  • Jan Ors (Dark Forces) - 100%
    • Completed by the amazing @@Jeff
  • Moff Rebus - 30%
    • A decent placeholder is used in a reskinned Rax Joris, but something unique would be cool
  • Crix Madine (prisoner) - 50%
    • The regular prisoner model would be fine aside from the head. For the head Luke's head model could be flipped on the X axis, making the hair flow in the opposite direction. From there we just add a bearded face that isn't Luke's and we've got a decent Crix analog. Although Crix would not have facial hair as a recently jailed Imperial officer, so maybe clean shaven? That's how they depict him in Dark Forces.

MAPS

• Level 7 - Ramsees Hed - 65%
    • Needs scripting, AI waypoints, detail work and optimizations
  • Level 8 - Robotics Facility - 60%
    • Needs exterior details, AI wapoints and optimizations
  • Level 9 - Nar Shaddaa - 60%
    • Level needs finished, but what's there is 100% complete (AI, scripting, etc)
  • Level 10 - Jabba's Ship - 50%
    • Level needs finished, but what's there is mostly complete (AI, scripting, etc)
  • Level 11 - Imperial City - 5%
    • Nothing is there except the initial landing zone
  • Level 12 - Fueling Station - 15%
    • About 25% of the geometry is done, but the center "wheel" of the station is askew, so much of this will have to be remodeled.
  • Level 13 - The Executor - 75%
    • 95% of the level is complete. Only a few optimizations are needed. But there are no enemies, and no scripting has been done
  • Level 14 - The Arc Hammer -   2%  
    • We have a single room, the pod that you ride over in from the Executor, so not even 10% complete

CODE AND SCRIPTING

• Engine - 80%
    • Weapons need to be coded as separate from JO/JA weapons the player uses. The Fusion Cutter will be WP_JAWA, the Mortar Gun WP_RAPID_CONCUSSION, and the Assault Cannon as a new WP_
    • AI code for Dark Troopers needs updated and improved
  • Interface - 80%
    • Improvements needed for Kyle customization

Also here are some Executor screenshots, because why not?

UwCWA8w.jpg
Ai49LT3.jpg
pe2XBPo.jpg
UT9hhRg.jpg
vle1gAP.jpg
bjkhRbz.jpg
NoQwBKc.jpg

Thought I'd give a general update on where we are. It's kind of hard to see what stage we're at when I'm always bouncing around with different things. So listed below is basically everything needed after the last release.

MODELS

• General Mohc - 30%
    • HapSlash's original model was found, but it needs rigging, caps, and whatever else people who rig models might think it needs. Technically speaking it's a cutscene-only model, but others might want to use the model in multiplayer, thus the 30%. As far as "official" mod status it only needs rigged, so I'll call it 75% as far as that's concerned.
  • Moff Rebus - 30%
    • A decent placeholder is used in a reskinned Rax Joris, but something unique would be cool
  • Crix Madine (prisoner) - 50%
    • The regular prisoner model would be fine aside from the head. For the head Luke's head model could be flipped on the X axis, making the hair flow in the opposite direction. From there we just add a bearded face that isn't Luke's and we've got a decent Crix analog. Although Crix would not have facial hair as a recently jailed Imperial officer, so maybe clean shaven? That's how they depict him in Dark Forces.

What would you have in mind for Moff Rebus? I could help with that (and possibly the others too).

McGroose and KyleKatarn1995 like this

@@eezstreet -- thanks much! If you get a chance please send an updated model my way via PM. No rush. In fact if you're swamped I can always do the work myself later on.

@@Psyk0Sith -- I think this guy (remove the tattoos, add hair) is a great model for Moff Rebus. He's the right build, the right age, and he's wearing the right shirt. His face feels very "I make weapons for a living." As far as pants, something brown-ish with black boots and some sort of work-based belt. Welding goggles like this might work well for his head. They'd fit in universe and the forehead position would let us see Rebus' eyes. I've included the original sprite reference on the right.

3763648492_c7a6011d81.jpg161205108033_1.jpg2438055-moff+rebus.png

wait wtf, i just remembered, the roq cutscenes, the ones for the other levels haven't been done, ex with the robotics, you know how before starting the gromas mines level, a roq cutscene would shot the moldy crow flying to the gromas mines, well the robotics level had a cutscene similar in the original game that also started before the level, but the cutscene recreation was never done, or at least maybe not released

So basically, Rax Joris with a different torso & goggles?

Also an FYI - Noesis exports correct normals for MD3 models (from Max, smoothgroups & explicit), so no need to have PoS blocky looking brushwork or poorly exported MD3 models. :P