**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

I understand how porting from the cancelled Battlefront III game would be alright, but how is porting anything from a released game like Forces of Corruption legal? 

I'm sure it's perfectly fine; I'd just like to know why. The model is sooooooooo good.

He sent it to me, too.

I understand how porting from the cancelled Battlefront III game would be alright, but how is porting anything from a released game like Forces of Corruption legal?

I'm sure it's perfectly fine; I'd just like to know why. The model is sooooooooo good.

The updated EULAs for Star Wars games now allow it.

So I figured something out that veteran mappers probably already know. If you set a misc_model to "solid" it'll compile as BSP data, right? Well I might just use this trick to make much simpler, yet detailed, canyons for level 8. Basically you compile, then once you get the layout you want, use the decompile feature of q3map2 to decompile your bsp back to a map file. Now those models are BSP data as a bunch of single-sided brushes. You just delete what you don't need and you've saved a lot of effort.

'Course it's really only useful to an extent. If you overdo it you'll get compile errors.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

NICE! That looks great! Hey I've been meaning to ask you a few things:

1. Is it difficult for you to kitbash multiple layers? Like with Kyle, is it easy to get Outcast Kyle's head on Mercenary Kyle and vice versa? I'd love it we could do a few characters that were customizable via turning surfaces on/off like the default species. I don't necessarily want the Kyle bodies merged, but the optional heads would be nice. If they were merged I think there would be too many torso customization options.
  2. Feel 100% free to say no to this -- but what do you think about kitbashing the JA rocket trooper's legs onto the Phase II mesh. I think it would beef it up a bit more, and the original texture you modified could possibly be remapped to the legs.

Also everyone... guess who's going to be an easter egg. It'll be a static model (no AI or animations), but I thought this little guy would be fun. I already know where I'm going to put him, but I don't wan to spoil it so I won't give it away.

project-242-XOL47UR2OL.jpg

Also from that same project (JK: Enhanced) I get to use a few items:

project-242-dPRqSg2efs.jpg

The Revive (third on top) can be used if I ever want to make an Icarus-scripted powerup. The backpack (middle bottom) will be used for getting Kyle's gear back on Jabba's ship. I'm thinking about using the keys, too and seeing if I can make them something you can pick up. Wish I had a way to make a third key, though. In JO/JA there are only two kinds of keys.

the revive has a different look in df, and the df mod team actually made a revive powerup model that looked like the original game's version

also, i'm not sure how you'd use scripting to make weapons fire faster with the faster firing powerup, as it seems the only way to change weapon firing speed is by modifying weapons.dat, unless you code it in to actually override the weapons.dat when you pick it up

I hadn't planned on the overcharge powerup. The revive is easy since it can be attached to an Icarus script. Touch-->Set player health to 100, shields to 100 (200 on easy)-->delete the powerup, and done.

I hadn't planned on the overcharge powerup. The revive is easy since it can be attached to an Icarus script. Touch-->Set player health to 100, sheilds to 100 (200 on easy), and done.

the overcharge was in the first level in the original game, it was in the secret area behind the giant wall that could be brought down with a switch, contained in a room where you first saw the interrogator droids(which you should modify their class to be able to shoot), there was also super shields, which made your health and shields on your hud(along with their numbers) yellow and gave you unlimited shields for a limited amount of time

NICE! That looks great! Hey I've been meaning to ask you a few things:

1. Is it difficult for you to kitbash multiple layers? Like with Kyle, is it easy to get Outcast Kyle's head on Mercenary Kyle and vice versa? I'd love it we could do a few characters that were customizable via turning surfaces on/off like the default species. I don't necessarily want the Kyle bodies merged, but the optional heads would be nice. If they were merged I think there would be too many torso customization options.
  2. Feel 100% free to say no to this -- but what do you think about kitbashing the JA rocket trooper's legs onto the Phase II mesh. I think it would beef it up a bit more, and the original texture you modified could possibly be remapped to the legs.

#1 That's not difficult at all.

#2 The entire leg (feet and all) or just certain parts?

I wasn't able to read most of those as YouTube wouldn't play it back in a high enough resolution. Why not just type it out? I caught the lag when looking a specific direction in Ramses Hed. I already said that the maps aren't optimized, nor was that release anything more than just a taste to get an idea as what's to come.

I wasn't able to read most of those as YouTube wouldn't play it back in a high enough resolution. Why not just type it out? 

ehh, i kinda felt like showing off footage of all the phases of the dark troopers, so heres what i typed in the vid:

the phase I can be improved by adding a new class for it that makes blaster bolts deflect off of it, but do partial damage to it as well, and have it not do so much damage that it allows me to be killed in 2 hits

the phase II can be improved by adding rocket trooper animations onto it and having more accuracy

the phase III can be improved the same as the phase II, but with some more attacks

the mortar should have its own ammo instead of me having to bind its ammo type to detpack

i replaced the weapon pickup sound to that of the unused ammo sound in the df game files as it sounded more realistic to that of an actual weapon pickup noise

i gave the phase III 2500 health so you could use the big guns on it

i also replaced the phase I sounds with that of the higher pitched voices in the files(there were wavs in it that couldn't be played by windows media player, so i used online-audio-converter.com to convert all of them to mp3 and get rid of the lower pitch voices)

phase I kills in 2 hits with full shields and health, melee also seems to affect shields, which i don't like since shields are supposed to only protect you from guns and not physical attacks

Edited by swagmaster
Teancum likes this

The flying dark troopers are actually already running the rocket trooper animations through code. I agree the Phase III will eventually need more advanced attacks. As far as accuracy that's something that definitely needs to be addressed. 

Omega likes this

and i did say in the video that i couldn't wait for the map optimizations :)

The flying dark troopers are actually already running the rocket trooper animations through code. I agree the Phase III will eventually need more advanced attacks. As far as accuracy that's something that definitely needs to be addressed. 

thats when you had the reskinned hazardtrooper as the main model, but with the new phase II model, its literally holding it as if it were a blaster pistol

Teancum, Omega and KyleKatarn1995 like this

Glad to see this mod is alive again and coming along beautifully, by the way has anyone made a kell dragon yet for Jabba's ship?

As far as I know, they haven't. I don't remember seeing them in the source files for the 2008 build anyways.

Teancum, you can correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have the source files anymore that I can find on my local drives. I think they were in the progress of making a model? In either case, a Kell Dragon is needed - so that Kyle can beat it to death with his fists. :P

KyleKatarn1995 and Omega like this

As far as I know, they haven't. I don't remember seeing them in the source files for the 2008 build anyways.

Teancum, you can correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have the source files anymore that I can find on my local drives. I think they were in the progress of making a model? In either case, a Kell Dragon is needed - so that Kyle can beat it to death with his fists. :P

Correct, they never made a Kell Dragon, so I've been using a rancor. Given that you only ever see them on Jabba's ship I'm kind of okay with using rancors instead. It seems like a lot of work what with both modeling a non humanoid and then creating an all new animation set. Right now on Jabba's ship you just run from the rancor.

@@Jeff -- top notch, dude! Excellent work as always.

Omega likes this

I wonder if you could use the kell dragon from Dark Forces 2 enhanced, and possibly use the actions of a howler I think they are called in JA? I don't know, just a thought though. I'm always thinking of what could be possible to get this mod going with you guys  :winkthumb: