**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

Oh Riiiiiiight. That was one I made myself. I'll have to redo it.

On a different note--since we can now borrow from other Star Wars games I'm going to use one of the canceled Battlefront III weapons as the new fusion cutter. I'll let people use the original with an optional patch. I'm still taking a break, but please cast your vote for which one of these four looks the best. I've added the original names from SWBF3 above them, but in the DF mod they'll simply be the Jeron Fusion Cutter. Personally I like the first one since it's already got some green on it, or the second one as it feels much more like something from Dark Forces.

Imperial Arc Cutter

SWBF3_IMP_arc_cutter.jpg

Alliance Arc Cutter

SWBF3_Arc_Cutter.jpg

Republic Fusion Cutter

Rep_Fusion_Cutter.jpg

CIS Arc Cutter

CIS_arc_cutter.jpg

Oh Riiiiiiight. That was one I made myself. I'll have to redo it.

On a different note--since we can now borrow from other Star Wars games I'm going to use one of the canceled Battlefront III weapons as the new fusion cutter. I'll let people use the original with an optional patch. I'm still taking a break, but please cast your vote for which one of these four looks the best. I've added the original names from SWBF3 above them, but in the DF mod they'll simply be the Jeron Fusion Cutter. Personally I like the first one since it's already got some green on it, or the second one as it feels much more like something from Dark Forces.

Imperial Arc Cutter

SWBF3_IMP_arc_cutter.jpg

Alliance Arc Cutter

SWBF3_Arc_Cutter.jpg

Republic Fusion Cutter

Rep_Fusion_Cutter.jpg

CIS Arc Cutter

CIS_arc_cutter.jpg

don't worry m8, i've already done a 3rd head just like yours, and since when could we borrow stuff from other games :o, i think the imperial arc cutter makes the most sense, because why not? the jeron fusion cutter is what i'd say is used by imperials, and the imp arc cutter is the only one with a bit of green

I'm torn between the Imperial and CIS Arc Cutters. The Imperial one has that green on it, which would correlate to the massive green projectiles launched by the Jeron Fusion Cutter in the original game. Both models look the most menacing to me and I wouldn't want to get caught on the business end of either of those.

Teancum likes this

now, a couple of things @@Teancum:

1. i tried a bunch of things to get the phase I darktrooper to hurt you without having to kick, like

- giving it an actual saber, the arbiter retextured to be black, but it didn't work, as it seems the noblade flag is a bit glitchy with npcs

- making it not have a sith sword, as its saber type just makes the user undying

- having it use the cyberninja blade, which was actually successful, but i would like to make it invisible

2. were there textures you had that aren't included in the backup build or dfmod source files? because this:

U5oawRm.jpg

there were also a couple of other missing textures

3. make some changes to the code when you decide to:

- make the mortar gun more powerful, as its real weak, it takes like 3-4 hits on an enemy to kill, when in the original it took 1 or 2 depending on the enemy type, i would rather use thermal detonators than that

- what i found with the demp2/fusion cutter is that it acted really wierd with secondary fire, like when i fire one direction the shots went toward each other, but when i looked to my right and fired they were in a 4-formation like it was supposed to, when i look up, it makes the 4-formation go sideways, so when you do get to fixing the jeron fusion cutter, fix it

- modify the assault cannon to have a blue version of the bowcaster wall impact instead of being a concussion explosion, and make the secondary fire not be a pulse rocket with a concussion explosion, and make it have its original impact from ja

- readd the galak_mech class and have it fly and be able to shoot rockets out of its shoulder-rocket launcher(when its added onto the actual model)

- make the blaster rifle's primary fire be as accurate as its secondary fire, as it seems to be rapid fire with almost accurate shots, unlike the original

sorry if i sound like i'm criticizing, but i'm just pointing out some of the things you could do to make it better :)

Edited by swagmaster

1) Yeah, fixing the Phase I is on the list. I messed with it a bit, and actually melee seemed to look the best so far, but I'll fix it up once levels 7 and 8 are nearly complete

2) Yep, I have textures I don't yet have added to build.pk3, as we discussed before.

3)

• The Mortar Gun has already been upgraded.
  • The Fusion Cutter issues were known and mentioned before (thus why I'm dropping the four barrel model). I won't be doing anything at all to support four barrels as it requires all new, complex trigonometry and calculus functions to be added to the core code.
  • As far as the Assault Cannon goes, it's last on the list of weapons for now. I have the Phase II troopers using a repeater and that works really well for now. I have to be careful not to spend too much time on things that can be fixed later when there are still eight levels in total to finish.
  • Phase II and III's will use the Rocket Trooper class, which works incredibly well for them. I don't see any reason to use the Galak mech as it's really different from what I'm shooting for

Maybe I am alone on this but it may not be the wisest idea to be using ported models if you are going to "revive" the DF mod. It just won't work.

And why exactly doesn't that work? If I may be so bold I'm one person with a wife, kids, and a career trying to work on a mod that several people worked on before, and with very little outside work from the community. I'll do whatever I can within reason to provide as high quality of a mod that I can while minimizing the amount of work I have to do.

Sorry to be a bit bold there, but A) I don't get why "It just won't work.", and B) it hasn't revived anything. I'm still having to do all this pretty much solo. I've had some very kind contributors here and there, but I've dumped far more hours into this lately than my own job.

TheWhitePhoenix, Jeff and eezstreet like this

1) Yeah, fixing the Phase I is on the list. I messed with it a bit, and actually melee seemed to look the best so far, but I'll fix it up once levels 7 and 8 are nearly complete

2) Yep, I have textures I don't yet have added to build.pk3, as we discussed before.

3)

• The Mortar Gun has already been upgraded.
  • The Fusion Cutter issues were known and mentioned before (thus why I'm dropping the four barrel model). I won't be doing anything at all to support four barrels as it requires all new, complex trigonometry and calculus functions to be added to the core code.
  • As far as the Assault Cannon goes, it's last on the list of weapons for now. I have the Phase II troopers using a repeater and that works really well for now. I have to be careful not to spend too much time on things that can be fixed later when there are still eight levels in total to finish.
  • Phase II and III's will use the Rocket Trooper class, which works incredibly well for them. I don't see any reason to use the Galak mech as it's really different from what I'm shooting for

ok, but will you have the mortar stay at not being as powerful as in the original game? and what about using the ported model from bf3?

edit: some more issues:

- openjk didn't work 100% with the dfmod, as audio actually had some issues, like with eax turned off, the menu sounds sounded a little wierd, and the roq cutscene audio was completely f*cked up because it sounded so low-pitched, and because the new darkjedi build is just openjk with some code changes for the dfmod, it carries the same issues

It'll be powerful, but I don't know that it'll be exact. The point will have it to be a one hit kill against basic NPCs, but have the damage they deal to you to be less powerful like other weapons do by default.

Which BF3 model? I already downloaded and credited Free Radical & Jeff for the Phase III Dark Trooper conversion. Other than that there's the updated fusion cutter model, but I haven't decided which one yet.

swegmaster and eezstreet like this

It'll be powerful, but I don't know that it'll be exact. The point will have it to be a one hit kill against basic NPCs, but have the damage they deal to you to be less powerful like other weapons do by default.

Which BF3 model? I already downloaded and credited Free Radical & Jeff for the Phase III Dark Trooper conversion. Other than that there's the updated fusion cutter model, but I haven't decided which one yet.

the dark trooper, @@Jolly didn't like the idea of using ported models in the dfmod to revive it

Even though I'm sounding a little "get off my lawn" and old-man like with my "I'm all alone working on this" mentality, I would like to publicly thank @ for rebuilding the customization skins for Mercenary Kyle, @@Jeff for porting the Phase III Dark Trooper, and @@eezstreet and @@ensiform for helping out with code-related stuff.

anything to help revive the dfmod :), also, what did you get done with outcast kyle?

TheWhitePhoenix and lpriefer01 like this

And also because I know a few people are curious, here's the roadmap for the next build:

1. Finish Ramsees Hed and the Robotics Facility (levels 7 and 8). These will be beta-like builds, just like the early demos for the mod were. They'll be improved on later, but will be 100% working with objectives, etc.
  2. Replace the Fusion Cutter model with one from the Free Radical SWBF3, then return it to stock DEMP-2 behavior. I thought maybe a secondary fire with a beam-like projectile would be cool, but that'll be down the road if I bother.
  3. Add Kyle customization back. Do Jedi Outcast Kyle as an alternate model with new skins.
  4. Release a pre-alpha build of Nar Shaddaa. What does that mean? It's basically where Salv left it, but textures, lights, and enemies have been added. When you reach the end of what Salv originally built, you'll get a notification on screen.

wait, if i think correctly, then almost all the enemy models are done, only thing we need is a phase 2 dark trooper

Mostly correct. We could use a Moff Rebus, but now that he an Mohc won't be sharing the Rax Joris model it's not as big of a deal.

For the Phase II Dark Trooper, I'd really like to use the Empire at War/Forces of Corruption version. They're a bit low poly, but for single player you wouldn't really notice.

Phase2DarkTroopers-EAWFOC.jpg

Does it actually change anything in-game? I thought the only difference was in the amount of shields you get. I only played it on one difficulty, but according to old documentation they hadn't implemented difficulties yet. Maybe the docs are older than what was completed. If they are I should make a note of that.

Does it actually change anything in-game? I thought the only difference was in the amount of shields you get. I only played it on one difficulty, but according to old documentation they hadn't implemented difficulties yet. Maybe the docs are older than what was completed. If they are I should make a note of that.

actually there is, the team forgot to finish the difficulty menu, it changes how fast npcs can shoot, how often they move, how high their health is(yes, the difficulty can actually boost their health, even though npcs have their health set, like have an npc health at 1000, set diff. to very hard, and i think they have like a bonus amount of health), how many enemies there are in a level, health and shields, and how many items are placed, it was in the original df too, i have some more things to say tomorrow

in the original df, if you played the jabba's ship level on hard, YOU FACED LIKE 5 FREAKING KELL DRAGONS, MAKING KYLE MORE AWESOME THAN HE IS, with only FISTS, there were also more enemies and i think maybe more i.m. mine traps

the original mod team did get difficulties in, but not fully implemented, like theres supposed to be less items on harder difficulties, but theres still the same amount of items in each level

Edited by swagmaster