**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

The hoth level already has a way to do this but it's a hard coded hack in the code for those levels to use the hoth skins.

It can be controlled through script though, SET_WINTER_GEAR true or false, and setting that to true just changes the skin to torso_g1 and lower_e1.

Teancum likes this

Would it be funny if the Ewok Easter Egg was added in the Dark Forces Mod? :)

full20120823031156.png

Is there an Ewok model? I'd totally do that. I never knew it was there.

It can be controlled through script though, SET_WINTER_GEAR true or false, and setting that to true just changes the skin to torso_g1 and lower_e1.

Which might be enough, actually. I'll have to look at how much Icarus scripting can handle, but an Enviro Suit would be cool. Maybe I can just attach a script to the brush and see if WINTER_GEAR is active. That might be plenty, actually. I'm having a HORRIBLE time trying to get OpenJK to compile at all, so at this point I'll be doing as much as I can without messing with the source code -- at least until I can get the fool thing to compile.

***EDIT***

Looking at the source, it looks like it only has the SET variable. Bummer.

Which might be enough, actually. I'll have to look at how much Icarus scripting can handle, but an Enviro Suit would be cool. Maybe I can just attach a script to the brush and see if WINTER_GEAR is active. That might be plenty, actually. I'm having a HORRIBLE time trying to get OpenJK to compile at all, so at this point I'll be doing as much as I can without messing with the source code -- at least until I can get the fool thing to compile.

***EDIT***

There's actually two: one on Fest and one in Ramsees Hed.

KyleKatarn1995 likes this

What's your issue with OpenJK compiling?

Well, the latest one is that I forgot to install the Windows SDK, which is currently installing. I'll post back if I have trouble when it's done. Are the OpenJK DLLs compatible with the original executables?

Which DLLS? SP is not compatible binary wise because of changes due to how restrictive SP's code is for modding.  MP is though.

Also which Version of Windows and which Version of Visual Studio?

I'm using Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2015 Express, which should work for what I need. Now I'm stuck with the "cannot open include file windows.h" error. As I recall I need to add another dependency, but I don't know exactly what. Thought installing the Windows SDK would do that for me.

***EDIT***

I found a couple of Ewok models that you can use as an Easter Egg for the Dark Forces Mod. Have him chained to a ball. :)

http://mrwonko.de/jk3files/Jedi%20Academy/Skins/Star%20Wars/45138/

Teancum likes this

Why in the heck are you using Express and not Community?  The SDK should be installed properly if you install with Community afaik.  With C++ language.  They are both free.  Except that Community is full featured same as Professional version.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691978&clcid=0x409

Lol, I'm actually using community. I thought I had express installed for a college course, but I guess I ended up putting Community in. I got the dll to compile, but the game exe has some zlib dependencies it can't find?

Failed during compile or failed during launch of exe?  The zlib is included in the build process on the repository so it should be there and not an external dll file required later.

UseInternalZLib should be turned on for the CMake if you check with cmake gui.

@@KyleKatarn1995

Never seen that before. Maybe it's because I didn't get far in the game. I should finally play the whole game one day.

Fun fact: Dark Forces was indexed in Germany during the 90's, but was released in a slightly censored version before that happened. It got an 18 rating, Kyle's blaster pistol was renamed into a stunning blaster (yes, RENAMED) and Mon Mothma tells in

a mission briefing that you should try to stun the enemies to prevent casualties. But because it was still similar to Doom, the game was indexed anyway and it still is to this day. I'm not kidding.

Luckily, Steam doesn't really care about that and offers the game anyway in Germany.

KyleKatarn1995 likes this

@@KyleKatarn1995

Never seen that before. Maybe it's because I didn't get far in the game. I should finally play the whole game one day.

Fun fact: Dark Forces was indexed in Germany during the 90's, but was released in a slightly censored version before that happened. It got an 18 rating, Kyle's blaster pistol was renamed into a stunning blaster (yes, RENAMED) and Mon Mothma tells in

a mission briefing that you should try to stun the enemies to prevent casualties. But because it was still similar to Doom, the game was indexed anyway and it still is to this day. I'm not kidding.

Luckily, Steam doesn't really care about that and offers the game anyway in Germany.

Wow, that's really interesting. I never noticed that Dark Forces also had to be censored.

The VC++ libraries are installed, otherwise all the other files wouldn't compile. I already double checked that. I'll look into other things, even just merging the include bundles into the project itself. It's frustrating, actually. I only need to change weapons and possibly one or two items. I may look into the original source code for that, as it's DLL-only changes from what I can tell -- just weapons and inventory changes. I want to minimize what I need to change from that standpoint.

***EDIT***

Sorry if my post seems rude, I'm just really frustrated at this. I just want to get into fixing what I need, and I've always hated getting someone else's projects running as I always seem to have trouble. It's probably me, but it's still irritating.

***EDIT #2***

Might as well lay out my code changes somewhere since I have some free time, but am not at home. For those looking, keep in mind that these are just basically my own notes.

•   WEAPONS
    • Fists: enable forward kick after 0.5 seconds of holding, or upon quick press and release. Enable grappling by pressing both buttons together, ALT Fire slightly before. It's how the game has it, and thus the 0.5 second delay if you're holding the button
    • Repeater: reign in that wild firing primary shot. I shouldn't be missing 50% of my shots at near point-blank range. Also (not code related), shrink the FPM model by about 15%
    • Fusion Cutter: Looks like the multi-barrel code from Star Trek Elite Force still exists. I think it fires from each barrel in succession based on barrelCount in weapons.dat and how many barrel .md3 files there are. Should be easy to do primary fire if that's the case. ALT fire (all four at once) might be a touch trickier. Shrink this FPM model by about 15%, too.
    • Mortar Gun: Borrow some of the grenade launcher code from the Elite Force SP code. Adapt it as necessaary.
    • Assault Cannon: Secondary ammo counter needed. It might be tricky, and I may just let it fire rockets that count as power/plasma cells for now
  • ITEMS
    • Stormtrooper Disguise: not needed, but wanted item. Store character model/skin cvars (see _WINTER_ code), change to stormtrooper NPC. When off, return to standard model/skin.
    • Mandolorian Armor: apparently Kyle got this on Jabba's ship? (so says Wookiepedia). Might be a cool bonus. Unlocks specific head, torso, and legs upon collecting
  • NON-CODE
    • Jabba's Ship: Use Icarus script to give Kyle his gear when he finds it. Use Jedi Knight: Enhanced backpack model (over at jkhub.net)
    • Ewok easter egg. Some time far down the line?

***EDIT #3***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBNuCOtPodc -- C++ template?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 -- C++ Redistributables? I should already have these installed. Check x86/32-bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1MRUiJAOq0

https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/tree/a42d139480c84f2fc8fa85c1fca446d04301dc33 -- older OpenJK builds might be more compatible with jasp.exe and might compile easier. See at what point the engine was changed

But you see, it's not finding the c runtime headers when compiling them. So I don't think the engine or renderer is even succeeding in compiling as they depend on the bundled libs that are failing.

Let me double check when I get home. But again I'm not sold on using OpenJK as of yet as I only need DLL changes. I suppose it all swings on getting it to compile soon.