**OFFICIAL** Dark Forces Mod revival topic

By the way, I noticed that Jedi Knight Galaxies has some far better weapon models than the original DF Mod had. It would be cool to try and get those in this.

Which ones? I'm a big fan of most of the weapons, even though the fusion cutter and repeater are HUGE in game. But if they have a better mortar gun or assault cannon I'm all ears.

Which ones? I'm a big fan of most of the weapons, even though the fusion cutter and repeater are HUGE in game. But if they have a better mortar gun or assault cannon I'm all ears.

They have the Bryar Pistol, various types of E-11, a Mortar Gun, thermal detonators and mines.

They've also got a pretty good Concussion Rifle. The proximity bombs that JKG has are the Sequencer Charges from Jedi Knight though.

Yeah, forgot about the Concussion Rifle. But as far as I know the sequencer charges are the same in both games, as well as the thermal detonators.

I got a basic look at their Mortar Gun from some YouTube footage, but I haven't had any luck getting their models working in game (haven't tried very hard). That's the one I'm most interested in.

***EDIT***

Got the external view working, but the first-person model I didn't spend much time figuring out. It's a better model than the original team's by all accounts except one: the stock clips into the player's arm in third-person.

One thing interesting is that I still found HapSlash's General Mohc model that we can totally use in the game's cutscenes instead of that reskined Rax Joris model. If only HapSlash releases the model so far...

http://hapslash.tripod.com/jkii/wip_swdf_mohc.html

Sadly, it's one of many great models HapSlash never released. I hope that somebody else will make one some day.

There IS a way! You guys remember the Enter the Dark Lord mod? The general that appears in the beginning is PERFECT for General Mohc! :D

Darn it! You beat me to mentioning it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who remembered the Mohc model from that fun little mod. 

Anyway, the progress you've made on the mod is astounding! It's great to see such a wonderful mod being continued while upgrading it with the luxury of improved models and character diversity (Ponda Boba for example - you should also consider using some of the other high quality alien models available here, such as JKHub's Nikto, Devaronian, and Twilek models). For the more non-traditional enemies, you've already got the Dianoga finished and Krell Dragons could just use the default Rancor spot as a base with obvious NPC edits. Even if a Krell Dragon model isn't made, you could always just use the Reek model available here. It would work just as well.

The mentioning of General Mohc got me to wondering just exactly how you, or anyone, would go about having Dark Troopers work properly in this game. They're the only AI in the game that really needs questioning now. We've got a Dark Trooper Phase 1 model, but I don't remember it working right at all in the 6 level demo. It had no special AI; just a standard saber wielder. It used Desann's heavy stance, but did no damage to you unless it kicked you. I remember that he actually held a reborn saber without the blade activated. It was buggy overall, but a start. Unless they exist somewhere in the bowels of the internet, there does not exist either a phase 2 or phase 3 Dark Trooper model. The Jump troopers in jka are kind of close in that regard in terms of AI, but they still won't work for a Phase 3. I hope someone can make proper models for both phases.

By the way, have you ever tried DarkXL? It improves the visuals of the original Dark Forces game so that it'll be easier to get a proper level layout. It's a bit glitchy now, but I definitely recommend you try it out for a reference.

So we're missing models for Phase 2 and 3 Darktroopers, a weapon texture and effects for the Assault Cannon.The Dianoga could use a complete remodel because it uses a howler skeleton as a base and mainly uses collision damage for an attack.Don't forget the Kell Dragon model.

The dianoga was completed by an original team member, and as far as the Kell Dragon, only two of them appear in the game (both on Jabba's Ship), so rancors work fine. It works especially well since in the original opening cutscene Jabba says something about feeding Kyle to his favorite Kell Dragon, but since he doesn't speak any Earth language, I can just change the subtitles. I'll probably change up the intro "fight" as well. Right now I just let the rancor run loose, but he can't follow you through the small doors. I haven't actually been able to kill him even with cheats, but I think that works. It keeps the player moving.

Someone had the great idea of using Hazard Troopers as placeholders for the Phase II and Phase III Dark Troopers, and so I think when the time comes I'll do that. For the Phase II I'll just reskin it grey, then for the Phase III exosuit I'll reskin it black and scale it up by about 15%. That should do until better models come along, if they ever do. I'm not too concerned with it for now though as I have to finish Ramses Hed and the Robotics Facility before the problem arises.

The following have to be fixed via code updates, so I plan to focus on most of them in one go:

• Phase I Dark Trooper's melee attacks
  • Permanent implementation of the "iknowkungfu" cheat to allow for kicks and grapples - wall running will be still be cheat-only
  • Doubling melee damage
  • Setting melee as the default weapon (instead of the lightsaber, which will still be accessible via cheats)
  • Dedicated weapon slots for the fusion cutter, mortar gun, and assault cannon
  • Grenade Launcher-like projectiles for the mortar gun

The following are things I'd LOVE to do, but I don't want to get to ahead of myself (basically, these are just ideas I could do, but I don't want to spread myself too thin)

• Blaster Pistol customization similar to lightsabers. These would have .blaster files that stored the model info, color info for the projectile, and firing sound. A new menu would let you select your pistol. This would also be great because it'd free up a slot as we would not need slots for both the bryar and JA pistol.
  • Separate sprint and walk keys so you can speed up or slow down your movement. Right now the sprint key is used to walk
  • Items to diversify gameplay: Stormtrooper disguise (you could sneak through sections, but would still have to kill certain officers to get keys), a field light (flashlight), ice cleats

The Phase 1 Darktrooper is holding a lightsaber with an invisible blade  when it supposed to have a melee weapon it crashes the game on OpenJK SP when it tries to attack.Here's something one of the Nina series of sp mods actually implements Galak's Suit as an enemy with all working animations.You could use a reskinned Galak Mech Suit for Mohc.Since both Mohc and Galak fight similar except the General can fly with his powered armor.

lpriefer01 likes this

I'll try and support OpenJK, but in the end whatever is easiest to get the mod to run correctly is what I'll code. I plan to use the OpenJK code as a base where possible. The Phase I will just use the same type of melee as Galak, who, incidentally, is also using a special type of melee.

lpriefer01 likes this

just some things u could do with the code, like first off, re-add the inventory, that's missing from jedi academy sp, and make the assault cannon have 2 types of ammo: plasma cartridges and rockets, also, the rancor not fitting through small doors could be fixed via modifying the rancor npc file's height

A reskinned Rocket Trooper would be good for the Phase II DT; however, the Phase III DT has a jetpack and is quite fast, so using a Hazard Trooper is a bit questionable. On the other hand, Mohc hardly used said jetpack in the actual game, so I think using the Hazard Trooper may be justified. It'll just look wierd to see the Dark Trooper slowly waddle his way over to Kyle or move both fast and awkwardly. Whatever - I think the final boss is unimportant now. Just food for thought.

KyleKatarn1995 likes this

just some things u could do with the code, like first off, re-add the inventory, that's missing from jedi academy sp, and make the assault cannon have 2 types of ammo: plasma cartridges and rockets, also, the rancor not fitting through small doors could be fixed via modifying the rancor npc file's height

Actually the inventory is still there, completely functioning, aside from a bug with the Light Amp Goggles. It's just never used.

Yeah, I forgot to put the Assault Cannon's ammo usage on the list. In the end I don't want to create an all new ammo type, so it'll use power cells and rockets (if I ever get to it). I'm not worried about the Rancor. In the original game the Kell Dragon dies before you get to the small door (person sized) so I don't want the rancor to follow anyway. As far as inventory, the only thing I didn't put on the list that aren't in JA were the access codes. The original DF team just used keys instead, and I think that works fine.

A reskinned Rocket Trooper would be good for the Phase II DT; however, the Phase III DT has a jetpack and is quite fast, so using a Hazard Trooper is a bit questionable. On the other hand, Mohc hardly used said jetpack in the actual game, so I think using the Hazard Trooper may be justified. It'll just look wierd to see the Dark Trooper slowly waddle his way over to Kyle or move both fast and awkwardly. Whatever - I think the final boss is unimportant now. Just food for thought.

The boss battles won't be 100% exactly like the original. That being said, I faced off against the original Phase III just a few weeks ago and all he did was fly. Also, the Phase II normally flies, and in both cases my most recent playthrough showed they rarely touch the ground. So strapping a jetpack on the Hazard Trooper works just fine. I'm no modeler so I have to use what's around. These would be stand-ins in case we never get someone to model them.
McGroose likes this

Hi @Teancum, you might be interested on this: https://community.moviebattles.org/threads/lt-claims-workshop.60/page-2

I have something i know i've been wanting for a long time :
darktrooper_zpsnkuiysdi.jpg

Yes ! it is it ! A nice, 3D model of the original dark trooper phase 3 ! coming directly from the old beta of Battlefront 3 (made by free radical ), i ported this baby as soon i saw it ! i mean look !

The only problem is that it is from another game, so i guess that will be a problem. I think you could include it, if Lt.Claim gives permision, as an external addon, maybe linking to it on the readme, if the rules allow that.

Omega likes this

Yeah, I don't know how the staff feels about Battlefront 3 stuff being ported. Over at gametoast.com where I'm an admin (a Star Wars Battlefront site) we allow it since the game was never released. In fact it was totally replaced by DICE's Battlefront. If the staff is okay with it I'll totally use it.