Can't launch Jedi Knight, please help.

Hello all, I just downloaded JK academy from gog as I want to learn mapping however it seems I am having some trouble launching it, any help or suggestions would be greatly apprecitated, I am running windows 7 - 64bit

jkprob_SP.jpg

JA: v1.0.1.0 win-x86 Oct 24 2003

Initialising zone memory .....
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\GOG Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets3.pk3 (16 files)
C:\GOG Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (62 files)
C:\GOG Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8320 files)
C:\GOG Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (15346 files)
C:\GOG Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData/base

----------------------
23744 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing jaconfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium IV

------- Input Initialization -------
Skipping check for DirectInput
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Working directory: C:\GOG Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
succeeded
...setting mode 4: 800 600 FS
...using desktop display depth of 32
...calling CDS: ok
...registered window class
...created window@0,0 (800x600)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (4)
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...calling CDS: ok
...created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Ok, I don't know how to do that and most likely would need a short walkthrough, perhaps a pre-existing tutorial?

See here for how to install OpenJK.

As for the graphics card driver, it depends on the type of graphics card you have. See the manufacturer's website for details.

Also what exactly is this "OpenJK"?

An open source release of Jedi Academy that's more up-to-date than the current retail versions. You can read more about it here.

Raz0r likes this
  • 4 weeks later...

Cheers for the help man, I definitely will be moving into OpenJK ASAP, it's just I previously put it in the folder when it was first mentioned in the thread and it still did not seem to solve the problem of the "opengl" error.

I would like to put it in the folder now actually but I just want to make sure things are the best they can be for the way they are before I go adding the fancy stuff, any more help is welcome.

You should not be installing 3rd party opengl dlls at all.  You should install proper drivers from your graphics chip manufacture.  IE nVidia, AMD, Intel.    OpenJK isn't fancy stuff at all.  Just a community replacement that has fixes and minor enhancements.

You should not be installing 3rd party opengl dlls at all.  You should install proper drivers from your graphics chip manufacture.  IE nVidia, AMD, Intel.    OpenJK isn't fancy stuff at all.  Just a community replacement that has fixes and minor enhancements.

My PC is a HP Pavilion dv6-6134tx and uses the ATI Radeon graphics, I have noticed there are threads online about this particular setup crashing JK, in fact I got the opengl dll idea from a thread claiming that it fixed it, so I am unsure if it is the best thing for it, or if I can upgrade my drivers to something that works, like I said I have searched and am still unsure what exact drivers I would install in my system.

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206018

^ Thread discussing opengl "fix"

I have noticed a bug or two in the game and my GtkRadiant seems to be having trouble also, so this possibly may be linked, I am currently downloading the ATI 11.12 Drivers mentioned in the update towards the end of the OP's post.

How are you still on a card that is before things got re-branded to AMD?  Upgrade to a new PC, its 2016 not 2003.

My pc is a hp pavilion from 2011, ATI seems to have been re-branded to AMD but you see lots of "ATI/AMD" references, just installed the 11.12 drivers to no avail as it still needs opengl, thanks anyway.. I will keep trying.

Cheers for the help man, I definitely will be moving into OpenJK ASAP, it's just I previously put it in the folder when it was first mentioned in the thread and it still did not seem to solve the problem of the "opengl" error.

I would like to put it in the folder now actually but I just want to make sure things are the best they can be for the way they are before I go adding the fancy stuff, any more help is welcome.

It seems like you installed OpenJK correctly, but aren't running it the right way. You don't just plop it into the Gamedata folder and run the shortcut from gog.com, you need to actually run the OpenJK binaries instead of the jamp.exe/jasp.exe.

Who is watching? likes this

It seems like you installed OpenJK correctly, but aren't running it the right way. You don't just plop it into the Gamedata folder and run the shortcut from gog.com, you need to actually run the OpenJK binaries instead of the jamp.exe/jasp.exe.

Ah yes I see, how do I run these binaries? (Perhaps someone could send me a working game with OpenJK within an email or something, would that be easier?)

Either way, I am always eager to learn.

*Take note that I still seem to "require" the opengl32.dll in my GameData folder and that my AMD drivers are now 11.12

Open (hehe) openjk.x86.exe/openjk_sp.x86.exe. It's a replacement for jamp.exe/jasp.exe, which the GOG shortcut uses.

Oh haha! I am not too advanced, I forgot to paste the extracted files into my GameData folder, I have since done that and have successfully played OpenJK! :D

Ok so after doing this I then removed the opengl.dll from GameData and proceeded to launch OpenJK, it actually still launched but glitched to all hell, here is a screenshot of the menu the audio was also repeating itself and full of bugs..

How do you guys think I should proceed from here, also I have noticed your names are all in the OpenJK credits. :P

Gl_erroropen_JK.jpg

What happens when you go to a map? (ie, devmap mp/ctf1)

I started a game in both single player and multiplayer and it seems to be the same glitch that happens at the menu, the only way I can describe it is that everything is repeating, the sound is repeating, the camera movements are repeating, the player movements are repeating.

Like a bumpy road for instance that "bop" sound you hear when you start a mission, you will here that like 6 times or so before it stops, so it happens once the first time then it's like "bopbopbopbopbop" and fades away, same thing with the character movements etc, it was like a parallel universe to be honest.

I wonder what could be causing this, as the game looks great, it doesn't seem to want to crash, it's almost as if some setting is not correct or something..

• 2 weeks later...