Jedi Academy is in SERIOUS need of new vehicle mods.

There is a mod, called Asteroid Mod, which allowed some kickass dogfights. I still have it, I think, I can see if I can reupload it. If y'all are up for it, I would love to work on this kind of mod. I am also working on a complete conversion for Jedi Outcast - Academy, which replaces Desaan with a Knight Of Ren, and remakes the story of Kyle Katarn into a modern "canon" rendition. And as for the "Jedi Academy" conversion, I am considering making it a Kylo Ren story, for the dark side ending...

To be honest, I don't even remotely remember there being an vehicles you can control/drive in JKA. Certainly not in Single Player, at least.. :huh:

There's the Tauntaun (yes, it's a vehicle) on Hoth, the swoop bike on some planet that has Korriban statues (the guys at Raven were lazy I guess), the AT-ST on that imperial level with Rax Joris, and...I think that's it...unless you count the E-Web Turrets available on Vjun and a bunch of other maps... :shrug:

Oh yeah, and there are the Tie-fighters/ bombers at Byss, though you can't control them...

Darth Sion likes this

I've modelled some of the TFA vehicles as map objects for some maps I'm working on, if somebody knew how and wanted to convert them into vehicles I'd send the files over.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window? window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)}); h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)}); var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f; if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c= 0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})(); pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://jkhub.org/index.php?s=e206f5c98694832ebba4257b7cf01f87&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=7485&p=107577&md5check=bdd0f5f0ebdd1a4a36083685a1184406&isRte=1,XJjZaj8buz,true,false,IqOiZdHkG-U'); //]]></script>JGSysDU.jpg&&0

YEzNT9H.jpg

xJbMmsw.jpg

nTmTb7I.jpg

@@GPChannel

There's the Tauntaun (yes, it's a vehicle) on Hoth, the swoop bike on some planet that has Korriban statues (the guys at Raven were lazy I guess), the AT-ST on that imperial level with Rax Joris, and...I think that's it...unless you count the E-Web Turrets available on Vjun and a bunch of other maps... :shrug:

The Tauntaun was the most unnecessary "vehicle" of the entire game. Sure, it was great to see them on the Hoth mission. But apart from riding them, they had no significance at all.

The swoop bikes were a great idea, but they had no fluent control. And as soon as they accelarate, they are fast as ass and you have even less control over them.

Using vehicles was and still is a total mess in Jedi Academy. As if the developers finished the development and later said "Hey, the game will be out next week. Let's put some vehicles in there!", but they forgot to test them.

The Tauntaun was the most unnecessary "vehicle" of the entire game. Sure, it was great to see them on the Hoth mission. But apart from riding them, they had no significance at all.

The swoop bikes were a great idea, but they had no fluent control. And as soon as they accelarate, they are fast as ass and you have even less control over them.

Using vehicles was and still is a total mess in Jedi Academy. As if the developers finished the development and later said "Hey, the game will be out next week. Let's put some vehicles in there!", but they forgot to test them.

Eh, what can you do? :shrug:

Apparently, that's why vehicles need an overhaul :D

Hmm I think that Vehicles are nice to Jka... but as the props on the maps.

AT-St vehicle was weird to play... The same with the ships.

This could be cool idea though if for example Movie Battles 2 (which i think is the biggest mod ever and has longest life time and rly strong community) would take a risk and work on the vehicles. For Multplayer ? It would be nice! Hoth map like battlefront with AT AT (not the new EA one... classic one) with the trigger enity that will be activated by AT AT walker when he would come near generator. I dont know..

The vehicles and ships are not finished, pushed like many stuff in the game... Making them right now would be cool but honestly - worth it? With the gameplay and vehicle functions right now? I think not..

There are many modifications about chaning the saber combat (there was one .. but .. Yeah.. ekhm) , the battlefront like, Movie Duels mod - which is nice ^^ and there are codes that are out (but i am not telling that they are easy to understand.. because they are probably hard to learn and i know nothing about them). Soo...

Why nobody bothered about vehicles ? Because probably they have not much to offer , controls are awful (yeah.. fixing controls would be another work ) , combat gameplay, and other problems...

I agree with Lancelot . Game is not finished by Lucasarts anyway and have many issues. But that doesnt change the fact that we can add new stuff and make this game even better :3 And this commuity shows that it is possible in many ways

TheWhitePhoenix and Lancelot like this

I've modelled some of the TFA vehicles as map objects for some maps I'm working on, if somebody knew how and wanted to convert them into vehicles I'd send the files over.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window? window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)}); h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)}); var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f; if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c= 0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})(); pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://jkhub.org/index.php?s=78c285f4c7debd5434c83b5e99e63d7b&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=7485&p=107577&md5check=3fa5ca738e6f339962b5df5f94604c35&isRte=1,XJjZaj8buz,true,false,zDHpxUQGw-U'); //]]></script>JGSysDU.jpg&&0

XLxsFSI.png

xJbMmsw.jpg

nTmTb7I.jpg

This is perfect! This is exactly what I'm talking about! :D

@@Xplicit, get rid of Google scketchup, it's a terrible modeler, there are WAY better free options and you'll never be able to use it to put your models in game. You'll be forced to use another program no matter what way you look at it.

i got Blender too, but i don't understand anything lol

Hmm I think that Vehicles are nice to Jka... but as the props on the maps.

AT-St vehicle was weird to play... The same with the ships.

This could be cool idea though if for example Movie Battles 2 (which i think is the biggest mod ever and has longest life time and rly strong community) would take a risk and work on the vehicles. For Multplayer ? It would be nice! Hoth map like battlefront with AT AT (not the new EA one... classic one) with the trigger enity that will be activated by AT AT walker when he would come near generator. I dont know..

The vehicles and ships are not finished, pushed like many stuff in the game... Making them right now would be cool but honestly - worth it? With the gameplay and vehicle functions right now? I think not..

There are many modifications about chaning the saber combat (there was one .. but .. Yeah.. ekhm) , the battlefront like, Movie Duels mod - which is nice ^^ and there are codes that are out (but i am not telling that they are easy to understand.. because they are probably hard to learn and i know nothing about them). Soo...

Why nobody bothered about vehicles ? Because probably they have not much to offer , controls are awful (yeah.. fixing controls would be another work ) , combat gameplay, and other problems...

I agree with Lancelot . Game is not finished by Lucasarts anyway and have many issues. But that doesnt change the fact that we can add new stuff and make this game even better :3 And this commuity shows that it is possible in many ways

MB2 had (maybe it still has) a Vehicle Map Pack, though it only contained the incredibly small (for vehicle and gunship combat) Geonosis map featured in Movie Duels 2, and Siege Destroyer.

MB2 had (maybe it still has) a Vehicle Map Pack, though it only contained the incredibly small (for vehicle and gunship combat) Geonosis map featured in Movie Duels 2, and Siege Destroyer.

The question is .. was it worth the gameplay? It could be a nice change or little diffrent experience.

I didnt play MB2 at all so i cant tell :P

The question is .. was it worth the gameplay? It could be a nice change or little diffrent experience.

Siege Destroyer is an incredibly fun map for LAN parties that was done by Raven if I recall correctly. 

Langerd likes this

Questionable. Siege Destroyer is a good dogfight map. That might be worth it, especially with a good number of players. On the other hand, Geonosis is only fit for walkers and tanks - there are Republic Gunships and Geonosian Starfighters, but they're a pain to fly through that small map. Admittedly, though, vehicle combat has its potential, given enough players and good maps.

Langerd and TheWhitePhoenix like this
  • 3 months later...

Coming from the machinima/film/comic part of the Jedi Academy community, even if vehicles don't handle that well in the engine, they are dramatic game changers for getting your story across. There's only so much re-skins can get across. I have entire chroma key maps that let me film motion passes to make vehicles look like they are traveling through space in more realistic methods, but there are so many vehicles that could be brought into the engine...

Rebels offers the Inquisitor tie fighters, troop transports, alternate swoop bikes, the Phantom, even the Ghost itself (though that'd make a better map than a vehicle).
Episode VII offers all those amazing models shown above that could be converted.

Then there are things we haven't yet seen realized from the EU...

I will gleefully and joyfully celebrate any vehicle mod, with or without an engine overhaul... Though if that did happen, I might not have to use green screen to have them fly gracefully in Jedi Academy, haha.

JGSysDU.jpg

XLxsFSI.png

xJbMmsw.jpg

nTmTb7I.jpg

Would there be a way to make them spawnable NPC objects, even if they were static and didn't move, if no one got around to turning them into vehicles? Sort of like that "throwable stuff pack" from a while back?

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

To clarify: Asteroids was made by a Raven Software employee, not officially released by Raven.

I'd consider tackling vehicles if it meant first person models for controlling the vehicles. Dogfights are just so much better when you're behind the controls.

That would be nice. Something to look forward to in JKA Enhanced, perhaps? You never know.

Coming from the machinima/film/comic part of the Jedi Academy community, even if vehicles don't handle that well in the engine, they are dramatic game changers for getting your story across. There's only so much re-skins can get across. I have entire chroma key maps that let me film motion passes to make vehicles look like they are traveling through space in more realistic methods, but there are so many vehicles that could be brought into the engine...

Rebels offers the Inquisitor tie fighters, troop transports, alternate swoop bikes, the Phantom, even the Ghost itself (though that'd make a better map than a vehicle).

Episode VII offers all those amazing models shown above that could be converted.

Then there are things we haven't yet seen realized from the EU...

I will gleefully and joyfully celebrate any vehicle mod, with or without an engine overhaul... Though if that did happen, I might not have to use green screen to have them fly gracefully in Jedi Academy, haha.

Would there be a way to make them spawnable NPC objects, even if they were static and didn't move, if no one got around to turning them into vehicles? Sort of like that "throwable stuff pack" from a while back?

^THIS. Without a doubt THIS. Vehicles help people who make machinimas. Even if they don't use them, they can summon them as well to make something like a packed hangar scene just before a space battle. :D

ZanderNao likes this

You might ask why I'm posting a video of LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens here. Simple answer: It has one of the greatest flight controls I've ever experienced in a game (and I must admit that the control is better than in Battlefront).

The control is responsive, fluent and so satisfying that you can't complain at all. And the dynamic camera is just great. If there's a way to make something similar in Jedi Academy, that would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-7LD91X-A

I have it but it's just a bare model, JA flight mechanics suck too much for me to want to make it work, if you wanna even call it that.

I'm only really interested in making things that I can be challenged to animate, walker type vehicles have been interesting me the most lately.

Is there a way to make it a spawnable model without animations?

I have it but it's just a bare model, JA flight mechanics suck too much for me to want to make it work, if you wanna even call it that.

I'm only really interested in making things that I can be challenged to animate, walker type vehicles have been interesting me the most lately.

Well, I'm gonna repeat what @ asked you. Is it possible to get it to work without animations by just making sure it works right in game?

Also, if so, and if it's easy to learn how to rig it into the game, do you mind giving it to me and Jchap if so via PM?