First Person Lightsaber Mod Request

What do you mean it doesn't open? :huh:

Okay, for trouble shooting purposes, follow these steps *closely* when setting the mod up, guys:

1. Obtain the latest files.

2. Copy/move "openjk.pk3" to "~/Documents/My Games/OpenJK/base/" (if it doesn't already exist, create it).

3. Copy/move "openjk.x86.exe" to "<game install directory>/GameData/".

4. Run "openjk.x86.exe".

Since OpenJK does not use the default retail game's configuration files, if this is your first time using OpenJK, you may need to set up your game settings again (or quit and copy the contents of "jampconfig.cfg" to "openjk.cfg").

5. In game console type "exec views" to set up the key bindings using the script we've created earlier.

MrHeisenberg likes this

I did all you said, the game doesnt opens :(

Check the following in your GameData folder:

Do you have "SDL2.dll"?

Do you have "rd-vanilla_x86.dll"?

Do you have "OpenAL32.dll"?

Do you have "EaxMan.dll"?

Do you have "IFC22.dll"?

Are any of these missing?

MrHeisenberg likes this

I agree. This is weird... :mellow:

Do you have a custom graphics card setup? Or is your Windows interfering with the running of the program in some way?

Were you able to run the latest OpenJK EXE?

The "views.cfg" works fine in single player too, it just needs an invisible playermodel. I used to have an invisible playermodel pk3 but I lost it. I know how to remake it though.

The "views.cfg" works fine in single player too, it just needs an invisible playermodel. I used to have an invisible playermodel pk3 but I lost it. I know how to remake it though.

I did make one, and I still have it lying around somewhere... Perhaps I should include it with the mod, as an extra?

I did make one, and I still have it lying around somewhere... Perhaps I should include it with the mod, as an extra?

Probably. I have it too, but I have one small problem with it.

The Saber blade is invisible, I set the NPC to be WP_NONE yet it still holds a Saber in-game that has no blade. No matter what saber I change it to, the blade is invisible. :(

I've found it. I just had to put the finishing touches on the script for it.

You can download it here.

Put both files in your base folder.

To use it in-game, simply type in the console: exec clearmodel

The reason I haven't included it in the mod is that there is no way to revert back to your original player model. So, once you run this, you will stay invisible for that game run/save (unless you manually change the CVARs back to what they were before the script ran).

As far as I know, unfortunately there's no working way to read/retrieve the value of a variable when scripting for JKA SP currently, so there's no way for me to save the current character using a script, then switch back to it later. This is why this is a standalone, one-shot thing...

But it does work, and you can play Single-Player in full first person view with it.

(Not sure about the cutscenes... You may remain invisible even there...)

MrHeisenberg and Daedra like this

I've found it. I just had to put the finishing touches on the script for it.

You can download it here.

Put both files in your base folder.

To use it in-game, simply type in the console: exec clearmodel

The reason I haven't included it in the mod is that there is no way to revert back to your original player model. So, once you run this, you will stay invisible for that game run/save (unless you manually change the CVARs back to what they were before the script ran).

As far as I know, unfortunately there's no working way to read/retrieve the value of a variable when scripting for JKA SP currently, so there's no way for me to save the current character using a script, then switch back to it later. This is why this is a standalone, one-shot thing...

But it does work, and you can play Single-Player in full first person view with it.

(Not sure about the cutscenes... You may remain invisible even there...)

It is perfect, and works for all stances. I was trying to avoid using scripts by using an invisible playermodel (then you would only need to combine first person view ' with playermodel invisible) but the script is fine too. :)

I was trying to avoid using scripts by using an invisible playermodel (then you would only need to combine first person view ' with playermodel invisible) but the script is fine too. :)

Using a custom playermodel (i.e. "playermodel invisible") utilises and NPC, and changes your player settings (such as current abilities and Force settings). This method keeps all your current player settings and progress in abilities, and only changes your look to invisible.

Using a custom playermodel utilises and NPC, and changes your player settings (such as current abilities and Force settings). This method keeps all your player settings and progress in abilities, and only changes your look to invisible.

Yes, as I said, script is fine also. :D Now both SP and MP are working, so there would not be much left to tweak.

@@Cerez @ What version of OpenJK are you using?

I'm using an older build, from around December 2015, but it in theory it should work with any build. Not sure why yours is not starting.

When you installed the original OpenJK files, was it starting then? You can try to download and install a different build. It's possible that the build you've downloaded is messed up somehow.

MrHeisenberg likes this

I'm using an older build, from around December 2015, but it in theory it should work with any build. Not sure why yours is not starting.

When you installed the original OpenJK files, was it starting then? You can try to download and install a different build. It's possible that the build you've downloaded is messed up somehow.

The original exe did start, and i tried with a 2015 build too, same result :(

The original exe did start, and i tried with a 2015 build too, same result :(

Same result, as in the 2015 build works as well, or that it doesn't work? :shrug:

What version of Windows are you running?

Did you copy *all* the files from the build package?

If you want me to help you, you'll need to be more specific.

MrHeisenberg likes this

Nop, it doesn't works.

Im using windows 10 and yes i copy all the files from the package

This is how i install everything:
-Install a clean and fresh Jedi Academy with the 1.01 patch.

-Download a OpenJK from https://builds.openjk.org/ and copy *all* the files to Gamedata.

-I copy the openjk.pk3 to My Games/OpenJK/Base.

-I copy the openjk.x86.exe to Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy/Gamedata.

-I try to run openjk.x86.exe but it doesn't opens, like that, doesnt opens, not even a little.

Since the game doesn't opens it never crashes, so no logs to check what is the problem. If i do all this steps without changing the openjk.x86.exe it opens but it crashes because it cannot match the ip

Hmm... so the older build will not launch on Windows 10 at all? Even with the official EXE you download?

@@Raz0r, @@Xycaleth, were there any updates for Windows 10 compatibility to OpenJK that I'm unaware of?

@@MrHeisenberg, try this: Right click on the "openjk.x86.exe" and go to Properties. I the compatibility settings tab switch it to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode. Apply the changes. See if that makes a difference in running it.

Edit:

After doing some digging, this definitely smells to me like a Windows 10 thing. I'm tempted to just go with the saying "get an actual operating system" if you want to play the game. :P (I said it before and I'll say it again, don't take the plunge into Windows 10, people. It's not worth it, and the way back is up a very-very steep cliff, full of rolling gravel. >.<')

Anyway, try playing with the compatibility settings, @@MrHeisenberg, and/or running the game with admin rights.

@@Cerez

There is something that could possibly be added. I had taken a look into the difference between the First Person Gun mode and the First Person Saber mode (SP version). I noticed that there's an option for swaying in the options menu, which makes the camera shake while you're moving with a gun (to give the sense that you are actually moving in First Person).

I managed to track down the cvars for it, though I cannot get the "sway" mode to activate in First Person Saber.

The commands are:

cg_runpitch 0.002
cg_runroll 0.005
cg_bobup 0.005
cg_bobpitch 0.002
cg_bobroll 0.002

This is what makes the camera move as if you are actually moving while holding a gun in First Person.

If you can get this to activate on the First Person saber, then it would be perfect (I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out and so far have not got it to activate for the First Person saber yet).

MrHeisenberg likes this