Rend2 - A Modern Renderer

Xycaleth

It does not store light positions at all.  Unless the map was compiled to bsp with -keeplights they are stripped from the entity structure which is in the bsp.  The only lights you would still have are the ones from shaders.  You also wouldn't know if there were any light adjustments made during the original light compile either via scale etc...

It does not store light positions at all.  Unless the map was compiled to bsp with -keeplights they are stripped from the entity structure which is in the bsp.  The only lights you would still have are the ones from shaders.  You also wouldn't know if there were any light adjustments made during the original light compile either via scale etc...

Oh, that's too bad. :/

I've had a few maps I've decompiled where the lights were kept, not sure why/how.

Anyways, isn't there a cvar to disable the showing of lightmaps? Maybe that could be useful for already compiled maps.

I've had a few maps I've decompiled where the lights were kept, not sure why/how.

Anyways, isn't there a cvar to disable the showing of lightmaps? Maybe that could be useful for already compiled maps.

There is r_lightmap or so, but I think it does the opposite - 1 shows the lightmap and no textures, 0 is default and is the combination of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Things are looking pretty grey now, but it's getting closer to what I'm aiming for (code-wise):

test.png

Here's a fun fact: the majority of the time generating this image is proportional to the number of pixels in the image. For 800x600, that's 480000 pixels. If we say a large BSP map will have maybe 100 lightmaps (this might be an over-estimate), which are 128x128 (because that's how big they are), then that's 1638400 pixels, i.e. roughly 3-4x more pixels. At the moment, a high quality render would probably take me around 30 minutes for 480000 pixels, so for a very large map, that would be less than 2 hours. As far as I know, Q3Map2 can take over a day to run the lighting phase for a large map.

These are all very rough numbers, but I'm hoping they're approximately reflect the kind of speed I'll be able to get - and I haven't even made this multithreaded yet. And it's not even making use of GPUs.

SomaZ, minilogoguy18, DT85 and 3 others like this

Does anyone have any indoor maps (strictly no skyboxes) that I could use for testing purposes? :)

I have my WIP Ilum map that's all indoor and very small still. And extremely dark. If that's of interest.

For the moment, yeah. Now I think about it, not many maps will have only light entities, but on the off chance, I'm still looking :P

I have my WIP Ilum map that's all indoor and very small still. And extremely dark. If that's of interest.

I'd be interested in that. Could you send the .map over? I don't need the textures for now, if you have any custom ones.