Rend2 - A Modern Renderer

Xycaleth

Are you using Rend2? Did you set cl_renderer to rend2?

Yes, ofc.

@@Xycaleth the grid I'm seeing there reminds me of mudbox, @@Sovietskiy Partizan I guess you loaded the model into mudbox and started painting in the bump channel and let mudbox export that as a normal map?

Yes its exported in Max and then made in Mudbox. Bump map then made in photoshop through nvidia plug in.

You use .shader for the vanilla renderer and .mtr for the rend2 renderer. Bascially, it's to make sure your model can be used with both renderers without errors.

I see, I'll try it later.

I think it's the lack of lighting variation that's the problem. If you set r_cubeMapping 1, you'll get a wider ranger of lighting/reflections which will make the normal map more pronounced:

shot2016-05-23_19-20-21.jpg

P.S. your specular map is completely wrong :)

Sentra and DT85 like this

I think it's the lack of lighting variation that's the problem. If you set r_cubeMapping 1, you'll get a wider ranger of lighting/reflections which will make the normal map more pronounced:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/jka/shot2016-05-23_19-20-21.jpg

P.S. your specular map is completely wrong :)

I see. Yes it looks much better this way :] I don't know what other good options rend 2 have.

Specular is from original. I noticed AshuraDX's texture scheme https://jkhub.org/images/BfZjGlt.png , but I didn't figured out how Specular from mudbox should connect yet.

should just have used Girs spec map isntead of making a new one

I've updated archive with it  https://mega.nz/#!dAZWxJDB!vtFCzAEP28OqFPR4CQ7HqfP-H2xqzJ8kosMB-dqjol4 , but now it looks like metal object. Needs more work.

cYt49Mu.jpg

Also I've tried to make real normal map for model, but something is wrong with this exact model :

ik2cP4L.jpg

Normal map out is bad because of UVs or other problems(like subdivision) with malak model - https://soundcloud.com/sovietskiy-partizan/malaks-laugh

• 3 weeks later...

Lighting intensifies:

lightmap3.png

lightmap4.png

I'll explain what I'm up to I suppose :P I'm hoping to write a faster lightmap generator, as a Q3Map2 light stage replacement. It's something that I've wanted to do for a long time now, and it lets me stretch my knowledge a bit further into areas I've not really looked at before. But you ask, how does this fit into rend2? Well the issue is that Q3Map2 bakes the direct lighting into the lightmap - this is a problem with rend2 because it means you'll get inconsistencies where extra shadows or lighting are added as you'll clearly see what's lightmap and what's not. This new lightmap generator will optionally output only indirect lighting (light contributions which have bounced off a map surface at least once), as well as produce the conventional lightmaps that BSP stores internally. With an indirect lighting only lightmap, adding the real time lighting/shadows will look natural.

It's a sideways step to completing rend2, but it's something I've really been wanting to try and do. It won't be able to work with maps where you don't have .map file, but I can imagine something where you can specify light locations and it can make use of these as light sources.

It's a sideways step to completing rend2, but it's something I've really been wanting to try and do. It won't be able to work with maps where you don't have .map file, but I can imagine something where you can specify light locations and it can make use of these as light sources.

As far as I remember you can decompile a bsp into a map and DT mentioned in the old rend2 thread that it still stores the light positions. Well, we should check that again. Then it wouldn't be any problem to make new indirect light maps for the original jka maps and enhance their appearence even more in rend2.

Anyways. This looks very promising. Good job, very good job.

As far as I remember you can decompile a bsp into a map and DT mentioned in the old rend2 thread that it still stores the light positions.

You sure? To my knowledge, decompiling a .bsp into a .map obliterates light entities.

Grab likes this