Rend2 - A Modern Renderer

Xycaleth

@@Xycaleth

Remember when I said I was testing out rend2 on MBII and i had some FPS woes? Well, I've narrowed it down to just one thing - shadow map size. If set @ 512x, I get decent FPS. So it's probably just my video card isn't good enough to display higher resolution shadow maps in this game.

Xycaleth likes this

@@Xycaleth

Remember when I said I was testing out rend2 on MBII and i had some FPS woes? Well, I've narrowed it down to just one thing - shadow map size. If set @ 512x, I get decent FPS. So it's probably just my video card isn't good enough to display higher resolution shadow maps in this game.

What graphics card do you have?

Well I get random spikes of low fps for a second on Atlantica even in vanilla with my 980gtx but that might be my computer having issues and it's infrequent. Or it could be the PVS of the map I'm not sure.

I get that too. Even on standard jka maps. I got a gtx980ti. But i can't tell when this happens. Looks random to me. Haven't tried it on vanilla yet.

For some reason i cant get it to work. I followed instructions and i get this crash log:

OpenJK: v1.0.1.1 win_msvc-x86 Mar 20 2016
Initialising zone memory .....
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\OpenJK\base
D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets3.pk3 (16 files)
D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (62 files)
D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8320 files)
D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (15346 files)
D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base

----------------------
23744 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing openjk_sp.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec_sp.cfg
Running Jedi Academy Mode
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
Trying to load "rd-rend2_x86.dll" from "D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData"...
Mismatched REF_API_VERSION: expected 8, got 15
Couldn't initialize refresh

Hey there and first of all thanks for keeping JK alive! :)

I've run into a problem with rend2 and need help. Previously I was able to load rend2 using my old 660 ti card. Since it died a horrible memory-related death, I got a 280 gtx as a replacement and now I can't use rend2 for whatever reason. The console doesn't report any errors, allowing the game to launch, but then screen goes white and the whole thing just crashes.
Is there a specific OpenGL level requirement for rend2? Nvidia website says my card supports up to OpenGL 2.1.

Hey there and first of all thanks for keeping JK alive! :)

I've run into a problem with rend2 and need help. Previously I was able to load rend2 using my old 660 ti card. Since it died a horrible memory-related death, I got a 280 gtx as a replacement and now I can't use rend2 for whatever reason. The console doesn't report any errors, allowing the game to launch, but then screen goes white and the whole thing just crashes.

Is there a specific OpenGL level requirement for rend2? Nvidia website says my card supports up to OpenGL 2.1.

This seems to indicate that the minimum version of OpenGL is 3.2.

Thanks for the quick reply! Guess I'm doomed to get a newer card then and suffer horrible input lag again :/

EDIT: did some research on the subject and it appears I may have a chance running rend2 if I update drivers (using 186.82 here) as OpenGL 3.0 is basically an answer to DX10, requiring similiar hardware (4.0 shaders).
Funny part is that the newer drivers is the sole reason I got such an old card, lol