TFA - Deleted Scenes [SPOILERS]

Ok, so this post is to all of you who managed already to see the deleted scenes from SW Ep. 7 and what do u think of them?

Personally i will say, that the scene where Finn and Rey are in the snow speeders chased by snowtroopers is so bad, because you can see the Blue/Green screen was not cut very smooth and the CGI is very ANH styled, i mean srly from 1977 - 2016 ???? And about the rest scenes like  "Finn will be fine" seems that he may be ok in Episode 8 and the "Jakku Message" is a scene that would turn the entire movie on 360 degree.. Leia says about the map "take it back to Luke" WTF O.o

Smoo likes this

The deleted scenes are incomplete. The chase scene wasn't finished, so it is released as it is. Aside from this one most other episodes are nothing special. The various trailers, promos and also toys suggested we would see something like this in the film. I don't how that would fit into the plot though.

Very different photos showed so much made specifically for the film, like curious droids, unusual aliens, all of which was left behind the scenes. And even the deleted material doesn't show much in this regard. An Article here describes some of the moments, which would be memorable. But they are nowhere.

I hoped to see Consteble Zuvio, Rey vs Unkar confrontation, Tripd AT-AT like machines and some more things.

Having rewatched Episode VII several times together with the new materials, I feel, that the film is quite weak even though I would give it 7/10. Having read several reviews, made especially when DVD is out there (almost or not), I agree with most of them, that the first 1/3 of the film is far better than what we see later. I hoped that at least the deleted scenes would expand the explanation of the last 2/3s and throw away the confusion.  

DarthDementous likes this

The squadrons launching from D'qar and entering hyperspace is the most incomplete out of them you can even see the street where the base was filmed.A lot of the promotional aliens weren't even shown in the movie such as the ithorian inspired alien.

I'll leave this here.

NumberWan likes this

The resemblance of TFA to ANH is okey in some scenes and moments. But when it is present throughout the whole film, it works like a bad joke, which isn't bad per se, but repeated more than twice becomes at least boring. Just I said I would still praise the film and recommend watching it (my personal formula is IV-V-VI-I-II-II-IV-V-VI-VII) for the younger audience of fans (especially the ones I am responsible for in bringing up ;) )

I will still buy a DVD perhaps, and I even have the action figures now. But the weaker side of the movie made me write my own version of The Force Awakens plot. Maybe I will post it somewhere here, when i am satisfied with all the things in it. :) I would still insert some of the deleted scene back into the film.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

Wasn't a huge fan of the deleted scenes. Really proud of the decisions Abrams and his editor made on this film to leave these moments out. While having Kylo on the Falcon is really cool conceptually, you'd then need the speeder chase and more outdoor stuff to build that outdoor atmosphere more, so I think it was an OK cut.

The resemblance of TFA to ANH is okey in some scenes and moments. But when it is present throughout the whole film, it works like a bad joke, which isn't bad per se, but repeated more than twice becomes at least boring. Just I said I would still praise the film and recommend watching it (my personal formula is IV-V-VI-I-II-II-IV-V-VI-VII) for the younger audience of fans (especially the ones I am responsible for in bringing up ;) )

I will still buy a DVD perhaps, and I even have the action figures now. But the weaker side of the movie made me write my own version of The Force Awakens plot. Maybe I will post it somewhere here, when i am satisfied with all the things in it. :) I would still insert some of the deleted scene back into the film.

If you want to, I say do it. I'd like to read it. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I second wanting to read that.

if you don't mind, could you outline what it was about the Force Awakens you didn't like? just out of curiosity, and maybe I can offer a different interpretation to areas you had issues with.

@@DarthDementous
It won't be easy, as I still like the movie. :) The first third of the film was very good, as I mentioned somewhere – but I don't like the idea of Lorr San Tekka having on screen time of only several minutes and then killed. Of all characters he seemed far more Star Wars than Maz Kanata and all others. Even General Hux doesn't work for me. He just doesn't feel like an Imperial. Perhaps it was on purpose.

Aside from that the film seemingly had a lot of major figures in the plot, but their role is irrelevant. The best example, as I also stated ear lie, is Captain Phasma – there was so much discussion, admiration and theories about her, that we were preparing for a bigger jump. But in the film she actually does nothing. Even her remarkable pride in remembering all the troopers numbers under her command don't help develop the character. Phasma is often compared to Boba Fett, but hey – that guy had a shot and true action both in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The prequels also introduced many new characters, but it was fun to read about them in encyclopedia and meet them again in TV series for instance.

I do expect Han Solo to have changed after 30 years and after having a son with Leia and then losing him, but for some reasons I don't believe this Han Solo to be the one I know. Something is truly odd about him in TFA, and I couldn't get rid of the feeling, that hey, Han Solo knows a lot people (his fans) are watching the Saga, so he must say some cool things, but still has to be the one to tell the story about Luke and all and all.

By the end of the movie you have a stronger feeling than with any other Episode of the Saga, that the time is short and they need to put everything into the remaining slot no matter how good that would look in the end. The way Rey escapes from Kylo might have been good, and we see as she climbs the wall of the base. But instead of a more complex reunion of her with Finn and Han, we see, that they notice her absolutely accidentally. This does happen in the movies, but here it is a very bad move. I could't help but notice, that for the Interior of the Starkiller base they made only several corridors and shot these from different angles (yes, I do understand, that even the Empire didn't bother about repetitive designs), but Phasma walks the same corridor, where Kylo on the higher ramp of it gives commands to capture Rey and feels Han Solo. Later we see Rey again in the same corridor, looking as a squad of troopers walk nearby. In another scene, the same corridor seems to serve as the floor, where Han and Chewie, and Finn enter the elevator.

The film had many concepts in architectural sense, that were far better than what we see on Jakku. It's a very strange outpost with no houses around. Yes, they can all live in AT-ATs left behind, but I don't buy it.

The Rathtars and Kahji Club are the worst concepts of a monster and of a criminal gang in the whole Star Wars franchise! Even the Serocco from KOTOR 2 was a much greater concept for an enemy, but here??? Rathtars, as I also mentioned, is a mix of Prometheus "Octopus" and Men in Black New York monster. Come on, guys, let's be original! Neither OT, not the prequels have ever failed at this.

All this is probably just a critics on my part, but the worst thing is that the film tries to play on our side by placing lots of nostalgic feelings in it. Don't get me wrong: I find Rey adorable, she surprisingly looks a lot like a Star Wars character. And the motives of her loneliness play along with other motives of Star Wars. When I watch SW I always think: this character is so alone here, so remote from all others we know, and she doesn't have the slightest idea, that there was an Invasion of Naboo, the Grand opening of the Boonta Eve Podracing, with Clone Wars and Order 66 killing all the Jedi. Does she know, that she is not even on the "farthest  star system from the centre of the Universe"? Does she know, that the Emperor submerged the whole Galaxy into Darkness the way no one else could have imagined? I get this feeling also, when we see Luke attacked by Tusken Raiders in ANH.

To tell the truth, that's what I expected from the deleted scenes. I hoped, that maybe the good stuff was dropped out because of these cuts, like Phasma in action, Zuvio introduction, Maz Kanata - Leia talk.

As for the alternative story of TFA, which @ also asked about, I've almost completed it and plan to post it as a separate thread. Though I am indecisive on who to name it, in order it not to sour too confusing with all these discussions of The Force Awakens in several places now. Ideas?

@@DarthDementous

It won't be easy, as I still like the movie. :) The first third of the film was very good, as I mentioned somewhere – but I don't like the idea of Lorr San Tekka having on screen time of only several minutes and then killed. Of all characters he seemed far more Star Wars than Maz Kanata and all others. Even General Hux doesn't work for me. He just doesn't feel like an Imperial. Perhaps it was on purpose.

Aside from that the film seemingly had a lot of major figures in the plot, but their role is irrelevant. The best example, as I also stated ear lie, is Captain Phasma – there was so much discussion, admiration and theories about her, that we were preparing for a bigger jump. But in the film she actually does nothing. Even her remarkable pride in remembering all the troopers numbers under her command don't help develop the character. Phasma is often compared to Boba Fett, but hey – that guy had a shot and true action both in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The prequels also introduced many new characters, but it was fun to read about them in encyclopedia and meet them again in TV series for instance.

I do expect Han Solo to have changed after 30 years and after having a son with Leia and then losing him, but for some reasons I don't believe this Han Solo to be the one I know. Something is truly odd about him in TFA, and I couldn't get rid of the feeling, that hey, Han Solo knows a lot people (his fans) are watching the Saga, so he must say some cool things, but still has to be the one to tell the story about Luke and all and all.

By the end of the movie you have a stronger feeling than with any other Episode of the Saga, that the time is short and they need to put everything into the remaining slot no matter how good that would look in the end. The way Rey escapes from Kylo might have been good, and we see as she climbs the wall of the base. But instead of a more complex reunion of her with Finn and Han, we see, that they notice her absolutely accidentally. This does happen in the movies, but here it is a very bad move. I could't help but notice, that for the Interior of the Starkiller base they made only several corridors and shot these from different angles (yes, I do understand, that even the Empire didn't bother about repetitive designs), but Phasma walks the same corridor, where Kylo on the higher ramp of it gives commands to capture Rey and feels Han Solo. Later we see Rey again in the same corridor, looking as a squad of troopers walk nearby. In another scene, the same corridor seems to serve as the floor, where Han and Chewie, and Finn enter the elevator.

The film had many concepts in architectural sense, that were far better than what we see on Jakku. It's a very strange outpost with no houses around. Yes, they can all live in AT-ATs left behind, but I don't buy it.

The Rathtars and Kahji Club are the worst concepts of a monster and of a criminal gang in the whole Star Wars franchise! Even the Serocco from KOTOR 2 was a much greater concept for an enemy, but here??? Rathtars, as I also mentioned, is a mix of Prometheus "Octopus" and Men in Black New York monster. Come on, guys, let's be original! Neither OT, not the prequels have ever failed at this.

All this is probably just a critics on my part, but the worst thing is that the film tries to play on our side by placing lots of nostalgic feelings in it. Don't get me wrong: I find Rey adorable, she surprisingly looks a lot like a Star Wars character. And the motives of her loneliness play along with other motives of Star Wars. When I watch SW I always think: this character is so alone here, so remote from all others we know, and she doesn't have the slightest idea, that there was an Invasion of Naboo, the Grand opening of the Boonta Eve Podracing, with Clone Wars and Order 66 killing all the Jedi. Does she know, that she is not even on the "farthest  star system from the centre of the Universe"? Does she know, that the Emperor submerged the whole Galaxy into Darkness the way no one else could have imagined? I get this feeling also, when we see Luke attacked by Tusken Raiders in ANH.

To tell the truth, that's what I expected from the deleted scenes. I hoped, that maybe the good stuff was dropped out because of these cuts, like Phasma in action, Zuvio introduction, Maz Kanata - Leia talk.

As for the alternative story of TFA, which @ also asked about, I've almost completed it and plan to post it as a separate thread. Though I am indecisive on who to name it, in order it not to sour too confusing with all these discussions of The Force Awakens in several places now. Ideas?

thoughtful response, I think a lot of it comes down to me loving the movie because I don't see some of those points as flaws, or if I do, as ones that don't detract from the overall experience.

on the topic of Phasma, we can't really blame the creators for that. it was marketing that over-saturated the advertisement, leading us to believe she had a greater importance (interestingly she's confirmed to have a larger role in Episode 8, so her character isn't wasted just yet) in TFA when in reality she was probably put in their as eye-candy as a result of her badass chrome appearance.

I thought the ways the Rathtars moved was fairly unique and made them a significant threat to their environment, basically enveloping the whole corridor as they tumbled towards you. they were pretty vicious as well, obviously CGI but in a visceral way that I didn't feel in the Prequels - probably as a technological limitation.

that whole playing on nostalgia I hope is leading up to what was promised in the later movies, new and inventive things to the Star Wars franchise. I can completely pass the reliance on nostalgia in TFA because it needed to re-kindle what people loved about the OT before taking it into uncharted territory. the Prequels started off in uncharted territory, which worked for some, but alienated most. I think JJ Abrams said something along the lines that "To take two steps forward you have to take a step back first."

the cynic in me believes they're saving the quality Deleted Scenes for another release because these were pretty naff. it'd be neat if they take extra time to polish some of them, hell even just colour grading would go a long way.

on the topic of Jakku, Niima Outpost is intended to be this remote meeting point for scavengers - a place for ships to dock to conduct trade and denizens to meet up in a neutral area. at the start of the movie we see an actual Jakku settlement where people live, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume there's settlements dotted all over the planet and Rey just chooses to live in isolation.

I think 'NumberWan's Re-Writing of TFA' would work fine, you're making it clear that you're re-interpreting it and hopefully that will be enough to distinguish it.