New Rule

I think this rule partially exists already, in regards to bumping Threads.

I know there's a rule against necro bumping Threads (meaning to post in an old Thread to bring it to the top of the Forum).

I would ask for a strict rule against bumping Threads at all.

My reasoning:

I notice there are some request Threads which have been created very recently, and the Original Poster is bumping the Thread, just because he/she hasn't had help already. Yet there are many other request Threads which haven't had any help and had been created a longer time ago, and those Original Posters have not bumped their own Threads due to no help.

I think it's getting a bit out of control, I mean, you made a request Thread, that's fine, but bumping it yourself knowing fully that there are many other requests that should have the equal oppurtunity? If someone wants to help you, they will help. Bumping Threads is not the solution.

A rule should be put in place where if you bump a thread twice you get banned for a week.

I understand what you mean, but isn't banning for a week--or banning at all--a bit extreme?

Plus I feel that this could really only apply to specific sections, as those of us with project threads tend to bump them when we have updates. (Or maybe that's just me...)

Instead of banning someone for bumping, give them a fair warning not to do it, and lock the topic if they bump it again anyways. Then they can't bump it, and it'll eventually get buried. I'm assuming that if they have to bump it, no one is willing to take it on as a project, so it shouldn't be a loss.

I understand what you mean, but isn't banning for a week--or banning at all--a bit extreme?

Plus I feel that this could really only apply to specific sections, as those of us with project threads tend to bump them when we have updates. (Or maybe that's just me...)

Instead of banning someone for bumping, give them a fair warning not to do it, and lock the topic if they bump it again anyways. Then they can't bump it, and it'll eventually get buried. I'm assuming that if they have to bump it, no one is willing to take it on as a project, so it shouldn't be a loss.

I did mean specifically for the Request Section I understand other areas have their own guidelines.

And yeah, banning for a week would be extreme, which would make bumping stop. It's like saying "Don't touch that apple or I'll cut your hand off." That apple now has pretty good security.

Bumping request threads is always a problem I guess, but unless someone bumps a thread more than once or twice, I don't mind it. Saying it's unfair to others isn't really true. They can bump their thread too. :P 

I think we as staff have been good at making sure bumping doesn't get out of hand. If you see someone bumping like crazy, report it and we'll take a look.

Daedra and therfiles like this

Bump a thread twice and get banned for a week? Sounds like it would weed out 90% of the people who make requests, surely. :D Such harsh punishments and rhetoric reminds me of Saudi Arabia, and we aren't like that here.

I don't see bumping threads as being a threat. Our anti-spam rule covers the case of someone requesting a bunch of things and bumping those threads anyway, so I don't see why it would need a special mention in the rules.

On the other hand, if you see behavior that bothers you, you are welcome to report it or message a staff member about it.

Daedra likes this