SJC First Order Duel map

Hey so, over in the introductions thread I started a poll and you guys seemed to like the First Order theme. So what's your ideas? I'm going to try something a little different this time and hope to build most of the map in 3D max, and import everything into GTK as Ase files.. Perhaps some of you modders can point me in the direction of info on poly count limitations etc..? As previously I have only used BSP to map.

Anyways would be great to hear your map ideas below?

Hey so, over in the introductions thread I started a poll and you guys seemed to like the First Order theme. So what's your ideas? I'm going to try something a little different this time and hope to build most of the map in 3D max, and import everything into GTK as Ase files.. Perhaps some of you modders can point me in the direction of info on poly count limitations etc..? As previously I have only used BSP to map.

Your works = Epic works

Hmm maybe First Order ship or the starkiller bunker base. But i think We should wait for the movie realease to have better look on the locations, models etc.

The Force Awakens has so many interesting locations to offer, it's hard for me to make a clear decision. But I would love to see Rey's home and the Starship Graveyard on Jakku, the bridge of the new Star Destroyer, the interior of the Starkiller Base and Ahch-To (for which Skellig Michael was used).

Langerd likes this

The Force Awakens has so many interesting locations to offer, it's hard for me to make a clear decision. But I would love to see Rey's home and the Starship Graveyard on Jakku, the bridge of the new Star Destroyer, the interior of the Starkiller Base and Ahch-To (for which Skellig Michael was used).

Rey's home Would be Cool. SJC is the master of small detail places so AT-AT would be cool :)

Some great ideas guys :-) I have already made some low poly stuff from EVII which I could port to JKA so we are half way there :-)

Reys home:

https://youtu.be/bsJEbk41bbY

https://youtu.be/mVYWeXygeY4

Maz Castle: (but this is stylised)

https://skfb.ly/LRHS

But the poll did favour The First Order... So I'm stuck between wanting to do the ice base and Reys home... Or maybe even the resistance base... As I also have made part of that..

https://youtu.be/b9-7DEXz_TQ

Decisions....

lpriefer01 and yeyo JK like this

Skelling Michael for sure. You can import Satellite Geological Digital Elevation Model (.DEM) files into 3ds Max. I also have Vue xStream and would be happy to assist you with terrain in 3ds Max. What 3ds Max version are you using?

Allow for swimming out to some of the nearby smaller islands-- you can put that Shark NPC model to use (or other sea creatures).

I'm not sure what the limit polycount wise is but I try to keep everything as low poly as possible, and when you export a model each part of the model can only be 500 verts max so if you do make larger models you might have to split it up.

The main limitation I've come across with when putting models in a map is the lighting, most models you'll want to use vertex lighting for but that means the shadows on them don't look great so I'd advise against making everything a model just props and that. You can apply lightmaps to models via shaders but from when I was experimenting with those it seemed to remove the smoothing groups of the model so it left them with faceted edges which looked pretty bad in game. Let me know if you find a way around that though because I'd love to create terrain in max and export that rather than making it out of brushes in GTK ^^.

Great idea. The map will surely look 100% better for it however, there's a problem. Everywhere I've read states that misc_model doesn't grab model LODs, so that means you'll have to use misc_model_static to be able to use LODs which will chew into the entity budget. Heck, I've also read that only patch brushwork has LODs and not the other brushwork. Seems very crap of whoever made radiant/q3map2 not process model LODs for misc_model. My idea around this is to merge in as many models as you can into one. Will be very tricky unless you make the entire thing in a 3d package.

Yet another pain in the donkey thing about modding this game.

eezstreet and Cerez like this

I guess something inside the starkiller base would be best suited for Jedi Academy's engine; closed spaces, corridors, rooms. Or inside a ship, for the same reason. I guess the one Han Solo was on would be cool, especially if it contains the Falcon.

I'm not sure what the limit polycount wise is but I try to keep everything as low poly as possible, and when you export a model each part of the model can only be 500 verts max so if you do make larger models you might have to split it up.

What? I'm pretty sure that limitation only applies to playermodels. Go crazy.

Personally I'd rather see an awesome looking but barely running map; then the OpenJK team can use that as a benchmark for performance optimization.

The main limitation I've come across with when putting models in a map is the lighting, most models you'll want to use vertex lighting for but that means the shadows on them don't look great so I'd advise against making everything a model just props and that. You can apply lightmaps to models via shaders but from when I was experimenting with those it seemed to remove the smoothing groups of the model so it left them with faceted edges which looked pretty bad in game. Let me know if you find a way around that though because I'd love to create terrain in max and export that rather than making it out of brushes in GTK ^^.

Right. So BSP files can actually contain models directly - I believe they're called trisoups? But those only get per-vertex lighting, which is calculated by Q3Map2. That's your ordinary misc_model. As mentioned you can use a shader to essentially turn them into brushes (force meta or something like that?), allowing them to be lightmapped, but it's much easier to simply give the misc_model spawnflags 4 to achieve this. Steer clear of spawnflags 2 (or 4+2=6) obviously, that's asking for trouble with detailed models.

And yes, forcemeta'd models lose their normals, but Q3Map2 can do angle-based smoothing, I think it's q3map_shadeangle? Look it up.

Don't worry about LOD, JA was never intended to have them, instead avoid open spaces so the whole map doesn't need to be rendered at once. If your map exclusively uses models and clip brushes, you'll need to manually place antiportals or other vis-blocking brushes to get proper portals, don't just put a big caulk cube around it. I suppose this makes the Han-Kylo-walkway a bad choice, but really I think it'd be too large for a duel map anyway if you do it to scale.

Probably avoid misc_model_static, they're a pain to work with since the editor doesn't preview them and they'll only be lit by the lightgrid, yielding even worse results than a non-force meta'd misc_model. The only reason to ever want dynamic models is if you need them to animate.

Oh, and one nice trick: You can target a misc_model to a func_* to attach it, allowing you to use models for doors, lifts etc.

DT85, AshuraDX and Futuza like this

I would luke to request either the snowy forest scene (If you could make it snow that would capture the movie's atmosphere perfectly, and destructible trees and/or a skybox of the sun dimming out might make us soil our pants) at the end of TFA on Starkiller, or the stormy scene with Kylo and his Knights of Ren, with bodies everywhere and the (sith?) temple in the background.

There is no limit on the number of polygons that a misc_model can have because they are baked into brushwork (as brushes though? or as patches? I'm not sure on which) and thus are never loaded. misc_model_static on the other hand...

Personally, I think that the First Order interior wouldn't be so good as there is already a map of it. But I would love to see the snowy forest around the base, or perhaps the big lectern thing when they are going to

blow up the planets

I wouldn't mind a flying-based map either, like the star destroyer on Jakku.

There is no limit on the number of polygons that a misc_model can have because they are baked into brushwork (as brushes though? or as patches? I'm not sure on which) and thus are never loaded. misc_model_static on the other hand...

Personally, I think that the First Order interior wouldn't be so good as there is already a map of it. But I would love to see the snowy forest around the base, or perhaps the big lectern thing when they are going to

blow up the planets

I wouldn't mind a flying-based map either, like the star destroyer on Jakku.

There's a map on the first order interior?

• 3 years later...
On 3/23/2016 at 3:19 PM, @JCulley3D said:

Some great ideas guys ? I have already made some low poly stuff from EVII which I could port to JKA so we are half way there ?

Reys home:

https://youtu.be/bsJEbk41bbY

https://youtu.be/mVYWeXygeY4

Maz Castle: (but this is stylised)

https://skfb.ly/LRHS

But the poll did favour The First Order... So I'm stuck between wanting to do the ice base and Reys home... Or maybe even the resistance base... As I also have made part of that..

https://youtu.be/b9-7DEXz_TQ

Decisions....

im working on a takodana map for battlefront 2005 do you still have anything from there