Clone trooper Phase 2 armor

before I disappear for a week (holiday in northern germany) I'll show you a preview for the game version of the helmet

the textures are definitely not final - just a preview and the model has a few gaps atm

and for you skinners, I have a preview of what the UV layout will be like:

za9C3Ahl.png

the visor is on a sepperate texture map, as requested by @@Barricade24

so some of the empty space on this helmet texture map will be filled with uvs for random extra parts, like binoculars and what else I'll find

I plan to use this distribution of texture maps :

torso & hips - 1024²

Helmet(s) - 512²

Visor(s) - 256²

right arm & leg - 1024²

left arm & leg - 1024², could use the above if your details are symmetrical

Random accesoires - a few 512² or 1024² maps

yeyo JK, Langerd, Ruxith and 9 others like this

@@JAWSFreelao you guys will also get access to these: https://jkhub.org/albums/vNfxX

Which should prove useful while skinning, I'll also prepare something to help keep the reskin quality at the level of my original textures. Basically a skin generator that takes bl&wh decal inputs and the masks them onto my existing textures - the generator will give a high level of control over wear, dirt color and a few other things

Kualan likes this

before I disappear for a week (holiday in northern germany) I'll show you a preview for the game version of the helmet

the textures are definitely not final - just a preview and the model has a few gaps atm

and for you skinners, I have a preview of what the UV layout will be like:

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window? window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)}); h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)}); var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f; if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c= 0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})(); pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://jkhub.org/index.php?s=d2919e2149f5f66fe31de2c1ed68d386&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=7338&p=105107&md5check=ecba2a4d3033837a868480b442547b35&isRte=1,XJjZaj8buz,true,false,1ncAsOrW7eg'); //]]></script>za9C3Ahl.png&&0

the visor is on a sepperate texture map, as requested by @@Barricade24

so some of the empty space on this helmet texture map will be filled with uvs for random extra parts, like binoculars and what else I'll find

I plan to use this distribution of texture maps :

torso & hips - 1024²

Helmet(s) - 512²

Visor(s) - 256²

right arm & leg - 1024²

left arm & leg - 1024², could use the above if your details are symmetrical

Random accesoires - a few 512² or 1024² maps

Wow... Amazin OqO

All righty. Barricade coming in with some observations and recommendations.

1) First the visor. For some reason this is the number on thing that is throwing me off. I think the main reason that is the angle of the T could be raised a bit.

2) The helmet fin could be a bit lower on both the front and back of the helmet.

3) I also noticed the middle line on the back of the helmet between the two dots is missing, but I'm guessing you haven't added that in just yet.

Aside from those things, the primary shape and build is pretty much on spot.

Langerd, krkarr and JAWSFreelao like this

@@Barricade24

got another 2 hours to work on it today:

still only temporary textures

new uv layout aswell:

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window? window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)}); h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)}); var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f; if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c= 0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})(); pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://jkhub.org/index.php?s=b95e9506899715e83da7afba3a454ea4&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=7338&p=105197&md5check=ecba2a4d3033837a868480b442547b35&isRte=1,XJjZaj8buz,true,false,Gwg3-dmBxFU'); //]]></script>W75vAJ1l.png&&0

Edit: one last update for the next week:

changed the geometry for the side pieces, giving them a much smoother appeareance

this time with normal maps applied for @@eezstreet

That is why.. I Love Star Wars...

and Your models sir

krkarr likes this

my 2 cents...

Id shorten the length of his eyes a bit... then take a bit out of the middle there making him a bit shorter, then look into his profile a bit... i tried a quick example and included refs backing it. very awesome man.

7XBxBQu.png

heres yours

fNbYbDF.png

heres a ref pic

yv6x2oi.png

and a very quick paint over showing some of the corrections crudely

mklhlAD.png

Looks good thus far, very clean. You doing everything in 3ds Max?

Is there a specific reason why you're not combining the armor into one 2048x map? Seems a bit excessive to have all of those texture sheets.

Out of curiosity does JKA have a resolution limit for textures? I've always thought 1024* was the max?

Is there a specific reason why you're not combining the armor into one 2048x map? Seems a bit excessive to have all of those texture sheets.

yes, with the loads of possible variation in torso meshes I thought it'd be wise to split the torso and leg uvs.

@@ChalklYne whz did everyone have to wait until after my 24 hour break with crits regarding the shape - now I have 2 meshes to alter and a UV layout to rework which is quite annoying....but oh well I guess I'll see about those changes once I'm back home

@@Scerendo none that I know of and yes, everything you see was done in 3ds max ;)

Archangel35757 likes this