Star Wars - Galaxy in Turmoil

This project plans to re-create what Battlefront III was meant to be. I think I posted about this a while back ago when the project was just a test map and some buggy animations. Here are some pictures (and a link to their ModDB) from their latest build. I am not a developer for this,I just help make descriptions and what not.

Anyways here are the pictures!

QqbIkRl.jpg

Zhio6r7.png

hiRHmJx.png

j8sCUKC.png

1j4LVdV.jpg

f7wNs9w.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsvK1qET8ts&google_comment_id=z13hc3ygmx3pyzhua23twbjoconnu15tz - Some video footage 

Their ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/games/star-warsgalaxy-in-turmoil

yeyo JK likes this
  • 2 months later...

Since this will no doubt end in either a C&D from Disney OR a huge letdown to those following it, I'm not holding my breath here.

What they should do, now that they have Valve on their side, is take their game to Disney/Lucasfilm, and pitch it to them. Ask for funding and endorsement to finish it properly.

I disagree. They will never allow this to be released. First of all, they have their own battlefront. Making another one would be wasted time for their development team and they need another Studio to support the development, as the ea battlefront get more DLCs this year. What happens then? They have two similar games. People would get angry if they want the other game, but they don't want to pay again (EA would put a price tag on that, I'll guarantee it. Or another publisher.).

Second. As far as i read galaxy in turmoil uses UE4. Epic want's royalty payments:

Once you've begun collecting money for your product, you'll need to track gross revenue and pay a 5% royalty on that amount after the first $3000 per game per calendar quarter.

I hardly doubt that ea (or another publisher) is willing to pay for a game developed by "them", because they have their own AAA engine. If they would make it, they would start porting everything again. So they could start all over again. Why developing a new game when the other one is running kind of fine?

I really hope galaxy in turmoil will be released, but not under Disney nor ea. I'm really looking forward to some new videos of it. Let's hope Valve will do their best to get this going.

But you can't pay royalties on a product that's free. Media has reported the game will be free. Most media have guessed it's to have a really famous game under their belt, so with their next game they can put "from the people who brought you Galaxy in Turmoil" in their trailers -- stuff like that.

But you can't pay royalties on a product that's free. Media has reported the game will be free. Most media have guessed it's to have a really famous game under their belt, so with their next game they can put "from the people who brought you Galaxy in Turmoil" in their trailers -- stuff like that.

ea would put a price tag on that, I'll guarantee it. Or another publisher.

EA can't just take it and put a price tag on it though. They can only offer a deal, hope that it gets accepted, or demand that it be taken down or suffer lawsuits, etc.

Also, just because it's free doesn't mean they can't do anything about it. 

SomaZ and Grab like this

Also, just because it's free doesn't mean they can't do anything about it. 

Very true, technically they can have the game removed just because it's their IP even if it was released for free. Other than the space combat portions, all of the footage I've seen of Galaxy in Turmoil looks very much as if it were still in alpha. I'm surprised they'd even bother putting it on Steam so early (as I doubt they can tag this as an early release title) when its so rough yet.

• 1 month later...

Can I say fuck on these forums? I'll go ahead and say it... FUCK EA

To be honest I was actually surprised Lucasfilm wanted to work with Frontwire to get a license but not surprised EA said no. Galaxy in Turmoil would've gave EA a run for their money and they couldn't have that... Hell they should hire these guys to make Battlefront for them. They'd obviously make more money that way. Hell I'd be willing to pay the $60 they charge for their crappy money-stealing battlefront game for Galaxy in Turmoil instead.

*sigh*

Don't be like that. They swiped stuff from a commercial game and tried to directly compete with Battlefront, yet you're making EA look like the bad guy. How could this possibly have ended in any other way?

NumberWan, Merek and Jeff like this

Like I said, saw it coming. It's silly that they'd think it would happen. EA has every right to decline and shut it down. That's the whole point of their contract. If LF started letting other studios make SW games, they'd probably take LF to court for dishonoring their contract.

And declining to license their studio is understandable. A publisher like EA can't just be like "oh alright" and suddenly have this random indie studio under their umbrella. Even if they brought them in, it would take awhile to make it legit, not to mention extremely expensive.

People are mad about a fan made game getting shut down, which is fine, but nobody should be too surprised about it all. It was inevitable.

Noodle, Merek, Teancum and 1 other like this

Yeah, it's not as if this was just some fringe indie Star Wars FPS - they actively set out in their mission statement that it was an attempt to create a Battlefront game of their own. How can you expect the company that actually owns Battlefront to be okay with that?