Real Life Models, Weapons and Maps

Hey, guys. 

Anyone have any "Real Life" models, weapons and maps? Guns being like Barretta, AK's, etc. Swords and knives. Normal looking humans, and maps of like real streets, real cities etc. A typical City Streets from LA or something would be perfect. 

Weird request, I know! But if any of you can direct me towards this sort of content I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Elliot

Hey, guys. 

Anyone have any "Real Life" models, weapons and maps? Guns being like Barretta, AK's, etc. Swords and knives. Normal looking humans, and maps of like real streets, real cities etc. A typical City Streets from LA or something would be perfect. 

Weird request, I know! But if any of you can direct me towards this sort of content I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Elliot

Some of these weapons have been made and were available on JK3Files, but they are hard to find now.

Even a Desert Eagle has been made.

http://www.lonebullet.com/file/models/desert-eagle-50-cal/818

There was a weapons pack a long time ago on JK3Files which contained over 100 real world weapons as replacements for the base models. Unfortunately a lot of the content was ported from other games and it never saw much time on the web. I still have it on my dropbox, it's called the Extreme Weapons Pack.

(shameless self plug here, I used to work on that mod)

There was a weapons pack a long time ago on JK3Files which contained over 100 real world weapons as replacements for the base models. Unfortunately a lot of the content was ported from other games and it never saw much time on the web. I still have it on my dropbox, it's called the Extreme Weapons Pack.

(shameless self plug here, I used to work on that mod)

off-topic: I wonder though, why does everyone complain about porting? The cops really couldn't care less about who ports a model from a game, and it's not like anyone's selling these when it comes to mods...

off-topic: I wonder though, why does everyone complain about porting? The cops really couldn't care less about who ports a model from a game, and it's not like anyone's selling these when it comes to mods...

It's copyright infringement. AFAIK no one has been sued for it yet, but the related companies have every right to do so, so better safe than sorry.

Counterquestion: Would you like to see something that you have created on your own being used by others without your permission?

Porting models from other games without permission means copyright infringement. And depending on the company you lifted the content from, it might cause big

trouble or a big-ass lawsuit.

Let's say the admins of JKHub would have allowed ported models on this site (and I'm talking about fully ported models, not some parts of them), this site would be closed down by now.

Counterquestion: Would you like to see something that you have created on your own being used by others without your permission?

Porting models from other games without permission means copyright infringement. And depending on the company you lifted the content from, it might cause big

trouble or a big-ass lawsuit.

Let's say the admins of JKHub would have allowed ported models on this site (and I'm talking about fully ported models, not some parts of them), this site would be closed down by now.

Actually, I'd be flattered if someone considered my work worthy of 'infringing'. Then again, one can always consider fair use and all that.

Actually, I'd be flattered if someone considered my work worthy of 'infringing'. Then again, one can always consider fair use and all that.

You might think so, but when your work gets associated with filth, you'll start to think of things the other way.

Let's say for instance that you start making stuff and you find out that you're really good at it. Everyone loves the stuff that you do. It's absolutely nuts.

Now let's assume that some Joe Schmo comes along and uses your assets in a mod, and this mod is just absolute crap. They didn't use your permission, they just tacked it on as part of a pack. Now everyone thinks that your work is crap because it's included in Joe Schmo's mod. They think that you did work for Joe Schmo, or worse, that you ripped off of Joe Schmo. Or! Joe Schmo, the cheeky bastard, starts charging money for your hard work. You might think this is unrealistic, but this is precisely why I vigorously defend my copyright on anything that I've done because there's always going to be some other guy who's going to want to cash in on what you've done. I'd know. It's happened to me, it's happened to other people on this site, and I don't foresee it stopping.

And fair use only goes so far. A lot of people like to wave around "fair use" but they have no idea what it means. Fair use grants limited use of the copyright without the permission of the copyright holder so long as the purpose of the work is not strictly nefarious (ie, it's a scholarly setting, not a commercial or personal one), the amount of work used is not substantial (but even then, this is a point of debate since stuff like samples have to be licensed), or the work is not fictional, etc.

•  
Lancelot likes this

You might think so, but when your work gets associated with filth, you'll start to think of things the other way.

Let's say for instance that you start making stuff and you find out that you're really good at it. Everyone loves the stuff that you do. It's absolutely nuts.

Now let's assume that some Joe Schmo comes along and uses your assets in a mod, and this mod is just absolute crap. They didn't use your permission, they just tacked it on as part of a pack. Now everyone thinks that your work is crap because it's included in Joe Schmo's mod. They think that you did work for Joe Schmo, or worse, that you ripped off of Joe Schmo. Or! Joe Schmo, the cheeky bastard, starts charging money for your hard work. You might think this is unrealistic, but this is precisely why I vigorously defend my copyright on anything that I've done because there's always going to be some other guy who's going to want to cash in on what you've done. I'd know. It's happened to me, it's happened to other people on this site, and I don't foresee it stopping.

Um, aren't you contradicting yourself a bit up there? You say "what if my work is so great people love it", then you say "Joe Schmo released a crap mod with my work" - won't it seem just a bit strange that a modder as crappy as Joe managed to make "great" content? And if my work is so great, won't people recognize it instantly?

Then you say "people will think I worked for/ with Joe on his mod", but how will they think this, if he never credited me anywhere? If, say, they do recognize my work and think I did work for/ with him, what does it change? The mod is crap, but the content (that I made) is good, and people can see it, so how does my reputation suffer? As far as they know, I was doing charity by helping Joe with his crappy mod! Or maybe I'm 'a staving artist' who'd work for anyone, as long as I get paid? It's really none of their business who I provide my content with and why.

Now if Joe claims all authorship (my content included), and my work isn't recognizeable enough for people to become suspicious, that's a problem. If not, I will find out about it, and will attempt seek him out, ESPECIALLY if he's charging people for it.

https://jkhub.org/files/file/2339-bloodshanks-the-shark-by-boothand-and-dt/

Doesn't get more real than a shark.

Aside from that, I've got some self-made mediocre map objects, such as lamp post, wall-lamp, moose antlers, a moose, a hat stand, a grindstone, a whale statue, an electric guitar on a stand, a sofa, some trees/rocks/foliage, none of which is aimed at a Star Wars universe.

If textures are interesting, this lot is quite set apart from SW too: https://jkhub.org/topic/3429-some-mapping-textures-im-working-on/

Circa likes this

Um, aren't you contradicting yourself a bit up there? You say "what if my work is so great people love it", then you say "Joe Schmo released a crap mod with my work" - won't it seem just a bit strange that a modder as crappy as Joe managed to make "great" content? And if my work is so great, won't people recognize it instantly?

Then you say "people will think I worked for/ with Joe on his mod", but how will they think this, if he never credited me anywhere? If, say, they do recognize my work and think I did work for/ with him, what does it change? The mod is crap, but the content (that I made) is good, and people can see it, so how does my reputation suffer? As far as they know, I was doing charity by helping Joe with his crappy mod! Or maybe I'm 'a staving artist' who'd work for anyone, as long as I get paid? It's really none of their business who I provide my content with and why.

Now if Joe claims all authorship (my content included), and my work isn't recognizeable enough for people to become suspicious, that's a problem. If not, I will find out about it, and will attempt seek him out, ESPECIALLY if he's charging people for it.

I think by "crappy" he meant as a person, not necessarily the quality of their mods. A person that takes other people's work without permission (and especially if they claim it as their own) are indeed that: crappy.

eezstreet and the_raven like this