New models from CW

Hello, i´ve just found these models of clone wars heroes from CW game. I think they could be usefull to creating JKA ones :-) 

http://tf3dm.com/search/?q=clone+wars&format=All+Formats&search=Search

https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1441777

I really like this Kit Fisto skins, which in this version isnt done yet. Mace Windu with armored hands too. And that commander Yularen and Wollfe is good too :)

@@Jeff, @@Kualan :)

Hello, i´ve just found these models of clone wars heroes from CW game. I think they could be usefull to creating JKA ones :-) 

http://tf3dm.com/search/?q=clone+wars&format=All+Formats&search=Search

https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1441777

I really like this Kit Fisto skins, which in this version isnt done yet. Mace Windu with armored hands too. And that commander Yularen and Wollfe is good too :)

@@Jeff, @@Kualan :)

I won't speak for @@Kualan but I read the threads and to anyone requesting things these don't get done in 5 minutes it requires a lot of time and calling out names in posts isn't going to get me do your request, if it interests me I'll do it if not take the time and learn for yourself.

Kualan and Delmi like this

I've been working on them for a while.  I don't have any planned release date or anything, so please for the sake of my own sanity don't ask for updates.  But, they will be here eventually  and I've always wanted to see those types of models in JKA.  I'll keep everyone posted on updates!

Jeff likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a good tutorial for rigging models? I do wish to learn how to do this.

This is a good start:

https://jkhub.org/topic/4406-modeling-tutorials/

You'll have to piece it together yourself, but I found Psyk0's web tutorials coupled with Spacemonkey's tutorial to be a great step-by-step documentation. Add to that a couple of video tutorials from fellow community members, and you have a successful curriculum.

Yea I posted the Anakin one at https://jkhub.org/topic/6571-model-requests/ too, I really wish someone make a few of these skins if they can and port it and make it work in JKA. They look amazing, if anybody just wants to relive the animated clone wars 2008+ series, with them would be awesome.

The problem with porting these models is that they are ports, not optimally designed for the game, and without legal rights to port them. Properly rigging and weighting a JKA character model takes an incredible amount of work, and few would volunteer to go through this effort for a ported model from another game.

Noodle likes this

This is a good start:

https://jkhub.org/topic/4406-modeling-tutorials/

You'll have to piece it together yourself, but I found Psyk0's web tutorials coupled with Spacemonkey's tutorial to be a great step-by-step documentation. Add to that a couple of video tutorials from fellow community members, and you have a successful curriculum.

The problem with porting these models is that they are ports, not optimally designed for the game, and without legal rights to port them. Properly rigging and weighting a JKA character model takes an incredible amount of work, and few would volunteer to go through this effort for a ported model from another game.

Thanks Cerez! My google-fu isn't so good to find these things. 

I'm more interested in rigging just for the sake of curiosity rather than for porting models. Do you know if there's a tutorial for exporting animations from blender to JA? I do have mrwonko's addons, but I can't get my animations to work ingame. 

Yes I know Cerez it is a lot of work, but all skinning for example the Ahsoka you made probably took a lot of job too and it wasn't ported or rigged. What does not take a lot of work in the world of modelling/skinning? And a breaking news, @@JungAk has found a skin which was ported from the old clone wars game to JKA, and is made to fit right into JKA and it looks absolutely amazing! This proves that there is a chance for a brighter future us waiting! Do not give up the people, it is possible! https://www.dropbox.com/s/dg7y9npzn3pxjt2/cwplo.pk3?dl=0 There is the download link. VDNoFdy.jpg

KyleKatarn1995 likes this

Yes I know Cerez it is a lot of work, but all skinning for example the Ahsoka you made probably took a lot of job too and it wasn't ported or rigged. What does not take a lot of work in the world of modelling/skinning? And a breaking news, @@JungAk has found a skin which was ported from the old clone wars game to JKA, and is made to fit right into JKA and it looks absolutely amazing! This proves that there is a chance for a brighter future us waiting! Do not give up the people, it is possible! https://www.dropbox.com/s/dg7y9npzn3pxjt2/cwplo.pk3?dl=0 There is the download link. VDNoFdy.jpg

... This came out a year ago. Itachisen ported it. It's not a bad model by any stretch but the arms are super skinny and the textures are very low res.

I have a lot of the models, though however the Plo Koon was the only one that was ever brought in game, though I can't remember from whom I got it from.  I'm still trying to get the others in game, but I can't do so until I figure out what's stopping the textures from working.

Anakin98 likes this

The stock Kel-Dor species looks way more accurate than that ported model, not sure what the hype is all about.

It's just that, at a first glance, some of the Clone Wars map designs in JKA look like they could fit The Clone Wars style, so fans feel the game could be adapted to house The Clone Wars style as well to create the high quality Clone Wars game we never had. I fell into this mistake at first as well. The truth is JKA actually has its own stylised visual style that is more realism-based, and, more importantly, any Clone Wars style character doesn't actually deform well with the JKA animations due to their thin limbs in the stylised design. JKA requires thick limbs in order to minimise the awkward deforms in its animations.

So what I've done instead is created a collection of JKA styled Clone Wars maps and characters, and that's worked quite well. I keep wondering whether I should upload it here as a bundle package (assets collection repackaged into a bundle, containing all the author readmes).

Sadly there doesn't seem to be one. I want to make custom animation for droid NPCs, like the ones the assassin droid and the saberdroid have.

I wouldn't know where to begin with that, but I'm sure someone who's worked on JKA animation before could help you. (Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who has... :ph34r:)

Post a support request in Modding Assistance to see who knows about it.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be one. I want to make custom animation for droid NPCs, like the ones the assassin droid and the saberdroid have. 

You could try the Blender + glamerge combo. You import the droid model, animate it, export the .gla (with the right skeleton setup), merge with the original animations and change its animations.cfg. I've only tested this with _humanoid NPCs, but in theory it should work fine with everything.

You could try the Blender + glamerge combo. You import the droid model, animate it, export the .gla (with the right skeleton setup), merge with the original animations and change its animations.cfg. I've only tested this with _humanoid NPCs, but in theory it should work fine with everything.

Thing is, I'm a bit lost about what you need to do to export successfully the .gla. Do I just animate things, export the .gla and then change the animations.cfg? How could I merge it with the original animations? 

Yeah .. Default Kel Dor is one of the best Jk3 models in my opinion. His outfits are awesome! I always liked his green clothes

24729-2.jpg

&&0

&&0

Kel'Dor is and will always be the best race in this game.

Langerd and Psyk0Sith like this

Thing is, I'm a bit lost about what you need to do to export successfully the .gla. Do I just animate things, export the .gla and then change the animations.cfg? How could I merge it with the original animations? 

That was a tricky part for me too at the beginning.

To animate a character, I generally put a small plane at -2.5 units under the player model - apparently that's where the ground is in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. Then you must select its skeleton and enter Pose Mode. Generally, to align the character with the ground I move its model_root down to -2.5, and the rest of the bones down of another -0.25. That seems to align pretty good with the ground, in case of a walking character.

The next step is to define a frame range (notice the Start and End numbers): it is used to define how many frames that animation will have.

Then, start posing the model. Whenever the model is in the pose you want, you'll have to insert a keyframe, so that the character will remain in that pose at that specific frame: press I, then select Whole Character. Then, move to another frame, so that you can pose the character again and keyframe it. Keep in mind the speed of the animation: many animations in Jedi Academy are played at 15-20 FPS, so you can keep it as a measure to know how many frames you might want to skip. The character will automatically blend the two poses in the frames between them. You can also preview the animation pressing Alt + A, or clicking on the Play animation button, and change the speed at which it is played, in Render menu -> Dimension -> Frame Rate - default is 24 FPS.

You can also add a specific pose to a Pose Library, so that you can re-use it again later on (Pose -> Pose Library -> Add Pose).

Rinse and repeat until you have the animation you want. At this point you should keyframe every single frame of your animation. You can do that pretty efficiently and quickly by baking the animation (Pose -> Animation -> Bake Action). Just select the Start Frame, the End Frame and the Frame Step (you'll want that to be 1, so that every single frame of the animation is keyframed). That way you'll have a whole load of keyframes that make up the animation.

Now you can Export a new .gla file which will contain these animation frames. It is important, since you want to create new animations for an existing skeleton, to write up the gla reference, under the Export JA Ghoul 2 Skeleton & Animations options. The path is relative to the base path, so you'll want to write models/players/<model name>/<skeleton>.gla. I generally export the newly created .gla in base/models/players/<random model>, just to be safe.

You can also (but this is not a necessary part) Export a new .cfg, but first you'll have to add markers to the frames. Select a frame, then Marker -> Add Marker, or press M. Then you can rename it for better understanding. When exporting the .cfg you can also select an offset - basically, the .cfg will show its frames starting at the offset frames, which you'll want to be the total animation frames of the original animations. For example, the _humanoid.gla skeleton has a total of 21376 frames. Setting that as offset will cause the exported .cfg to start from frame 21377. It is useful when you're dealing with a lot of animations and you don't want any to overlap each other.

Now it's time to merge the animations. Grab GLAMerge, then put the .exe in a folder with both the new .gla and the original .gla. I'm not sure if there's already a gla_merge.bat, but anyway you should modify it as follows:

@[member='Echo'] OFF
"glamerge.exe" "<original animations>.gla" "<new animations>.gla" -o
PAUSE
EXIT

So that the program can merge the two. Enter an output name for the new .gla, which you'll have to modify to what the original animations name was right after the program is done. In case of merging with a _humanoid.gla, you'll want to rename it to _humanoid.gla. Put it in a folder with the same name as the original one. To pick up the example of _humanoid.gla, I'll want to put the new one in models/players/_humanoid/. Then modify the animations.cfg, so that you can replace the original animations with the new ones.

Find the animation you want to replace (you can check them out with ModView). Then replace the frames of that animation with the new ones. For example, to change BOTH_STAND1, it'll have to be modified from this:

BOTH_RUN1               12305    26    0    40

To this:

BOTH_RUN1               21377    45    0    30

In short, you have to replace it with the new frames you merged. Just for completeness, those values mean:

BOTH_RUN1                 12305	             26	                 0	        40
<Name of anim>          <St. Frame> <Number of frames>   <Loop, 0=Y,-1=N>   <Speed (FPS)>

Then pack everything up in the correct folder in a new .pk3 file. And voilà!

Hope this was clear enough. And sorry for hijacking the thread :P

Noodle likes this

That was a tricky part for me too at the beginning.

To animate a character, I generally put a small plane at -2.5 units under the player model - apparently that's where the ground is in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. Then you must select its skeleton and enter Pose Mode. Generally, to align the character with the ground I move its model_root down to -2.5, and the rest of the bones down of another -0.25. That seems to align pretty good with the ground, in case of a walking character.

The next step is to define a frame range (notice the Start and End numbers): it is used to define how many frames that animation will have.

Then, start posing the model. Whenever the model is in the pose you want, you'll have to insert a keyframe, so that the character will remain in that pose at that specific frame: press I, then select Whole Character. Then, move to another frame, so that you can pose the character again and keyframe it. Keep in mind the speed of the animation: many animations in Jedi Academy are played at 15-20 FPS, so you can keep it as a measure to know how many frames you might want to skip. The character will automatically blend the two poses in the frames between them. You can also preview the animation pressing Alt + A, or clicking on the Play animation button, and change the speed at which it is played, in Render menu -> Dimension -> Frame Rate - default is 24 FPS.

You can also add a specific pose to a Pose Library, so that you can re-use it again later on (Pose -> Pose Library -> Add Pose).

Rinse and repeat until you have the animation you want. At this point you should keyframe every single frame of your animation. You can do that pretty efficiently and quickly by baking the animation (Pose -> Animation -> Bake Action). Just select the Start Frame, the End Frame and the Frame Step (you'll want that to be 1, so that every single frame of the animation is keyframed). That way you'll have a whole load of keyframes that make up the animation.

Now you can Export a new .gla file which will contain these animation frames. It is important, since you want to create new animations for an existing skeleton, to write up the gla reference, under the Export JA Ghoul 2 Skeleton & Animations options. The path is relative to the base path, so you'll want to write models/players/<model name>/<skeleton>.gla. I generally export the newly created .gla in base/models/players/<random model>, just to be safe.

You can also (but this is not a necessary part) Export a new .cfg, but first you'll have to add markers to the frames. Select a frame, then Marker -> Add Marker, or press M. Then you can rename it for better understanding. When exporting the .cfg you can also select an offset - basically, the .cfg will show its frames starting at the offset frames, which you'll want to be the total animation frames of the original animations. For example, the _humanoid.gla skeleton has a total of 21376 frames. Setting that as offset will cause the exported .cfg to start from frame 21377. It is useful when you're dealing with a lot of animations and you don't want any to overlap each other.

Now it's time to merge the animations. Grab GLAMerge, then put the .exe in a folder with both the new .gla and the original .gla. I'm not sure if there's already a gla_merge.bat, but anyway you should modify it as follows:

@[member='Echo'] OFF
"glamerge.exe" "<original animations>.gla" "<new animations>.gla" -o
PAUSE
EXIT

So that the program can merge the two. Enter an output name for the new .gla, which you'll have to modify to what the original animations name was right after the program is done. In case of merging with a _humanoid.gla, you'll want to rename it to _humanoid.gla. Put it in a folder with the same name as the original one. To pick up the example of _humanoid.gla, I'll want to put the new one in models/players/_humanoid/. Then modify the animations.cfg, so that you can replace the original animations with the new ones.

Find the animation you want to replace (you can check them out with ModView). Then replace the frames of that animation with the new ones. For example, to change BOTH_STAND1, it'll have to be modified from this:

BOTH_RUN1               12305    26    0    40

To this:

BOTH_RUN1               21377    45    0    30

In short, you have to replace it with the new frames you merged. Just for completeness, those values mean:

BOTH_RUN1                 12305	             26	                 0	        40
<Name of anim>          <St. Frame> <Number of frames>   <Loop, 0=Y,-1=N>   <Speed (FPS)>

Then pack everything up in the correct folder in a new .pk3 file. And voilà!

Hope this was clear enough. And sorry for hijacking the thread :P

I'll try this, thanks a lot!

• 2 months later...