[SOF2] Final fix for new hands

Guest KENNITHH

Guest KENNITHH

So we're working on our last project on SOF2 and want it to be perfect in the ways we can.

I'm not a pro in modelling stuff, and I dont have the guts or courage to learn the whole package but I know my way around in 3DSmax pretty well and know how to get things in game as you can see on this pic.

63fc8d3b3e1a0c5cd3bbdf99c68ca870.png

All fingers work great, except as you can see the arm is sticking through the glove (it's not attached to the glove). I assume this is a skinning issue but I have no idea on how to properly fix this specific thing.

So I was wondering if anyone could take a look at it and fix it perhaps? Or show me through teamviewer or a stream? As this error has occurred multiple times for me.

Sorry for bothering you with this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivmn9i5wyqwx0qz/newhands_test6.max?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8gpyfekzbxn9kx/newhands_test6_2010.max?dl=0

( :ph34r: @@Archangel35757, @@minilogoguy18, @@DT85, @@Boothand, @@IrocJeff, @@Psyk0Sith :ph34r: )

The high poly model you have in the scene has sketchy vertex weights, it should be ok in most situations but you'll get glitches unless you fix the issues by rotating bones around to see how the mesh deforms. When you rotate the metacarpal bone for example, the wrist / lower arm portion doesnt even follow correctly...it leaves a big hole because the verts are not shared at that border.

If you look at the low poly version, the mesh deforms correctly, it doesnt need anything complex because it's very basic...you can't do the same with the high poly version. I understand the need to split the model in sections but you need to do your rig before you split, that way you'll have uniform weights no matter how you split the model.

Also watch this if you haven't already

https://youtu.be/GhA83jzPl3M?t=16m57s

DT. and Archangel35757 like this
Guest KENNITHH

I forgot to mention the low poly model is the original model I used to SkinWrap the new hand on.

After checking your video and messing around in 3dsmax I finally managed to fix the wrist. The animation was also usefull  but as I cannot get SOF2's anims in 3dsmax, it's a real shame as I cant fix things perfectly as these bones are weird imo

http://imgur.com/a/ZCCXn

I think I'm gonna make the sleeves a bit thinner and try to fix that twist in the arm (no idea how yet but I'll get there eventually, mainly in the AK and M416)

More tips are always welcome, but you really helped me a lot till now ! Like always 

Guest KENNITHH

@@eezstreet, I would love to but the mod is just way too early in stage to send it as it's basicly just original weapons being replaced and the hands, like just the models and shaders atm. We still need to do the sounds, icons, muzzle effects, nade explosions, impact effects, proper inview and wpn file.

When these are done , we're already very happy with it but if we still have the modding fever, I might make a new hud, main menu, improved base shaders and new prop models as overhaul for the original maps as people dont really like dling new maps , yet :P And new character models perhaps aswell or just new bolt_ons like helmets and stuff , but a new base character would be better ofcourse ^^

If there's anything particular you wanted like the shader or whatever of the current state, I could send it to you or post it here if you really want.

@, yeah I do, I mainly play on the Gold version on the House of Pain aka HoP servers or Pure Hate servers

Before I forget, here's the main idea for the "mod" atm

d05ba5b77b59dd34a574ad02a8efb8fc.png

I wish I had more energy though so I can focus harder on fixing the hands but my job won't allow me ( waking up everyday at 3.45 :( )

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I know my website is out of date, I just don't like that one at all. I did make another one but that one I didn't like either. I was thinking more of a facebook page or something were I could share my mods and maps on, but I'm not out of all this yet. The site could be used for adding some tutorials of me aswell.

Guest KENNITHH

I can proudly announce that the hands are both done after a couple of weeks of headaches  :lol:

Note the weapons will have to be realigned to the hands, but thats a job for the other guy :D

Check some images here:

G9l07ol.jpg

797lwJj.jpg

6lnj7Se.jpg

R5EAxIV.jpg

SCFWwaT.jpg

8DUp9Ar.jpg

I would like to thank all who contributed to helping me out with this.

Bek - Thanks to you I noticed the RHand wasnt aligned properly eventhough it was in the lhand :D
Psyk0Sith - For pointing me to split the model afterwards and your tutorial on SkinWrap and Skinning
DT85 - For telling me to use an animation, this really helped alot to find the skin issues
Eezstreet - For the appreciation

And specially Archangel35757 for spending a lot of time with me on Skype on fixing the rhand and all the rest.

This hasn't been done by anyone else yet in the SOF2 Community so I'm proud to be first , eventhough the game is 13 years old :P
Thanks a bunch !
  • 3 weeks later...