Motion Capture...

So I finally got time to try out my new Perception Neuron motion capture suit from Noitom.  The results are far from perfect... but there are more things I can do to improve accuracy.  This was just my very first evaluation test.

Next weekend I will be recording two of my Krav Maga instructors... and I hope to have some of the kinks worked out of my workflow process.

Lancelot, DT., NumberWan and 4 others like this

Oh no the video is private :(. Fun fact: one could also use the kinect for mocap, not sure what the results look like or how easy that is.

ok... it should be public now.  I didn't realize that was a setting I needed to explicitly set.  I do have a XBox One Kinect v2 sensor that I can connect to my laptop via the Windows adapter-- I plan to utilize it and Brekel3D's FacePro2 software to do facial mocap stuff.

Psyk0Sith and Darth Sion like this

@@Lancelot -- yeah that's my plan, I believe even the original released XSI animations were motion capture based.

Some pretty funky mocap then. Closer look at some saber animations and the hands don't even stay where they should. Personally, I think JO is all hand animated and JKA's animations are mocapped.

Archangel35757 likes this

A buddy/co-worker of mine teaches Aikido... (but he's a little too large to put into the mocap suit-- circumferentially speaking).  But his Sensei is interested in the suit... so I plan to capture him doing some Aikido moves with a bokken (using a prop sensor cable) in the near future.

@@Archangel35757

I wanted to request motion captured animations many weeks ago. But then I thought "Nah, the engine might not gonna take it.".

I hope that motion captured animations will be part of Jedi Knight (Outcast and Academy) one day. It has a lot potential.

The engine can already handle motion captured animations, as long as you convert them to the format the game supports. The engine doesn't actually care whether you hand sculpt or mocap the animations - the difference is kind of like whether or not the engine allows you to use Microsoft Paint over Photoshop - it doesn't actually care, as long as what you supply it is good. :)

I'm curious as to what all you're going to mocap with this - I know about melee animations, but what about guns? Sabers? Either way, it looks like a really nice rig, I can't see any jittering of the animation (which is a big step up from what JK3 has)

Darth Sion and Archangel35757 like this

The engine can already handle motion captured animations, as long as you convert them to the format the game supports. The engine doesn't actually care whether you hand sculpt or mocap the animations - the difference is kind of like whether or not the engine allows you to use Microsoft Paint over Photoshop - it doesn't actually care, as long as what you supply it is good. :)

I'm curious as to what all you're going to mocap with this - I know about melee animations, but what about guns? Sabers? Either way, it looks like a really nice rig, I can't see any jittering of the animation (which is a big step up from what JK3 has)

I plan to capture:

1. Krav Maga self-defense moves

2. Aikido moves (with & without Bokken)

3. Biomechanics/Sports analysis

4. Miscellaneous gymnastics (for movements-- rope climbing, monkey bars, etc).

I'm open to suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

@@Archangel35757

Although many animations in Jedi Academy are decent, some of them are looking a little bit weird.

Especially the gun animations (running, idle and shooting) are a little bit awkward.

For example, when holding a gun in Jedi Academy, it looks like this:

Gert-Frobe-as-Auric-Goldf-002.jpg

Instead, it should rather look like this:

imago54354823h.jpg

And when holding and shooting with a rifle, it should go into the direction of this:

stormtrooper.jpg

1007188.jpg

Not the best examples, but I hope you know what I mean.

@@DT85 - We should create a 1st/3rd melee system upgrade...

...with more/better hand-to-hand combat & self-defense moves.

But I have have no clue how the code mechanics work to say for example-- block an incoming punch and simultaneously counter-attack (Krav Maga style). @@eezstreet - any ideas?

Punches (Left/Right):

Jab

Cross

Hook

Uppercut

Hammer fist (forward, downward)

Palm-heel strike

Horizontal elbows

Vertical elbows

Legs (left/right):

Knee strikes

Front kick

Side kick

Rear kick

Round kick

Groin kick

Ground defense moves, Etc.

• 2 weeks later...

@@Archangel35757

Although many animations in Jedi Academy are decent, some of them are looking a little bit weird.

Especially the gun animations (running, idle and shooting) are a little bit awkward.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window? window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)}); h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)}); var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f; if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c= 0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})(); pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://jkhub.org/index.php?s=37df5c2b11abedfe0a5dbf89717ce472&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=7224&p=105003&md5check=bdd0f5f0ebdd1a4a36083685a1184406&isRte=1,XJjZaj8buz,true,false,UL8F_YxTV1U'); //]]></script>Gert-Frobe-as-Auric-Goldf-002.jpg&&0

imago54354823h.jpg

And when holding and shooting with a rifle, it should go into the direction of this:

stormtrooper.jpg

1007188.jpg

I concur, 110%. It'd be great to see the base animations improved and made more authentic. The base animations are borderline "wooden" and lacks immersion, to a degree.

Lancelot likes this

Many modifications change animation of the default shooting animation to the disruptor shot. It looks weird but better.

I think weapons in Jk ... ARE rly well made! There are many weapons, they have alternative fire and they can change the gameplay. You can kill jedi and reborns with these easly if You are a force user and i Love this play style.
But of course.. i play in first person view. The third person is the pain in the ass. Why? Because it is made in stupid way. When i place crosshair on the enemy I PLACE it for purpose! But now.. This stupid goddamn animation change the origin of it. Specially when i use the blaster pistol... The hand with blaster is on the same height as the belt. But when You shoot character strecht out his hand with blaster ... BUT blaster is shoting a little before that move. So Your shot is 1cm farther... This is the biggest problem i have with the third person.. animations change Your aim.

GPChannel likes this

@@Archangel35757

//<![CDATA[

(function(){var g=this,h=function(b,d){var a=b.split("."),c=g;a[0]in c||!c.execScript||c.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===d?c[e]?c=c[e]:c=c[e]={}:c[e]=d};var l=function(b){var d=b.length;if(0<d){for(var a=Array(d),c=0;c<d;c++)a[c]=b[c];return a}return[]};var m=function(b){var d=window;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var n,p=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},q=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?

window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});

h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});

var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c<d.length;++c)a=a.concat(l(document.getElementsByTagName(d[c])));if(0!=a.length&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(c=0;d=a[c];++c)q(b,d);a="oh="+b.i;b.c&&(a+="&n="+b.c);if(d=0!=b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),c=1;c<b.a.length;++c){var e=","+encodeURIComponent(b.a[c]);131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;

if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=

0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a.width&&0<a.height&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a.width>=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();

pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://jkhub.org/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax&section=topics&do=quote&t=7224&p=105003&md5check=a09a0c0c3824eaf3a97985ef02bc0bcf&isRte=1,XJjZaj8buz,true,false,5HuDftyWpDc');

//]]>Gert-Frobe-as-Auric-Goldf-002.jpg

imago54354823h.jpg

stormtrooper.jpg

1007188.jpg

Agree. I dont have problems with the stances for the rifles but we need a New animation for the pistol