Making this for a class...

Looks pretty good, and I love that you've chosen a Portal theme =3. But there are a few stuff I'd nitpick upon. You also said it's WIP, so I'm not sure exactly how much else you are planning to change. I can only give feedback on what I see. I haven't seen any of your previous work, so I don't know what to expect of the final result. (If there's some on the forum somewhere that I've missed I'm sorry.)

Anyways, some nitpicking:

The texture resolution on the floor/wall tiles seems to be too low. The lines are really blurry, and it doesn't strike me as "real".

This actually goes for all the textures I can see, but it's most visible on the tiles.

You seem to be using some metal/brushed metal texture to overlay on the door. This doesn't look right to me. The door kind of looks like coarse grey cloth instead of metal.

Astral Serpent likes this

Yeah I know what your referring to....the primary problem with the resolution is that according to the rules of the assignment each object can have one texture map, and the walls, floor, and ceiling must all be one object....I therefore have to make everything fit in one image file which is forcing my resolution to be wonky....as for the cube, it looks low detail because all I've done so far is flat shade it.

This is what the tiles on the floor SHOULD look like as of what I have done now...

tiles1.jpg

tiles3.jpg

But my instructor requires that I fit the textures into this

room.png

The main reason is that while I graduate after this semester, this is a new class that is supposed to be pretty entry level, I am just taking it (one so he would have enough people in it to have the class) and two because I needed an extra class on my schedule to stay a full time student....So I suspect that given how early in the class we still are, his main objective is to see who understands UV mapping...because from what I have seen, maybe one other student in the class can texture halfway decent.

Scooper likes this

Time to turn it in now...so I guess this is as far as it will go....the Normal maps on the walls did something weird....that's the first and last time I trust the Photoshop plugin >.<

render.jpeg

I think the portals turned out dead sexy though...considering I had to fake them lol.

-Edit-

Had to make a "reflection" on the assignment too....so I'm gonna trow that at you guys to, cause hell, why not?

Reflection

Time Spent Overall: 4 to 6 hours

I wound up using more objects than required for my portal room. In the end I had the two portals, the companion cube, two doors, and the room. The room was a bit of a pain to the get the detail I wanted, I made a nice detailed tile texture in two shades, but since the room had to use one whole map I had to fit them into one file as a pattern on each wall. In the long run this caused most of the detail to be too small to see, or blurry.

The tiles should have looked similar to this:

tiles1.jpg

I attempted to remedy this by adding in additional details to the final texture, such as the “ratman drawing”.

I think that the portals themselves were my finest work on this project, which is surprising since they were quite possibly the easiest texture to make.

The Portals:

portalb.jpgportalo.jpg

I was not happy with the way the bump maps turned out in Maya however. This is primarily true with the room; however this could be mostly due to the resolution. If I could do this differently I would have made separate textures for each wall and the floor, or I would have tiled the texture and created a second surface and used alphas to create “decals” to put the worn effects on the tiles.

Edited by CrimsonStrife
  • 2 weeks later...

This looks amazing, makes me want to start making stuff for Games again, maybe even my own little mini-game. One problem, I can't make the textures, do you have anything on that so I won't have as much trouble? I know a lot about Photo Shop CS6, but can't seem to work-out good looking "textures"... only like backgrounds for pictures, etc.

Well it is almost always trial and error when making textures...and usually you have to make overlays and sample details from real world stuff...and kinda mix things together.

Maybe I'll look into setting up some photoshop videos made that could act as "texturing classes".

-Edit-

If I did so I was thinking of doing them as livestreams, that would also be recorded for later viewing. This would allow people to join the stream and ask questions live. But here are my questions for everyone here; what kind of techniques would everyone be interested to learn? Should I do a class on features of photoshop? any other ideas?

post stuff here and I will start working on some lesson plans.

also what time would be most convenient for a stream? I'm on EST time.

I'll announce streams a good week in advance.

Edited by CrimsonStrife