16:9 HUD and Menus

I recently discovered a way to play JA (and JO) on full screen without it being all stretched out. I don't know if everyone knows how to do this but me, or if not a lot of people are aware of the method, but either way, the fix is here.

I was wondering if anyone has made or would be willing to make HUD's and menus that would render properly instead of being stretched out, or if there's a known fix for this issue.

Thanks,

Darth_Bothersome

Edited by Caelum
Fixed the link in your post for you. HTML doesn't work in posts.
therfiles likes this

The only two ways I can think of doing it truely 16:9 would be to either a) make JA hard render everything based on resolution, which would look just plain bad, or B) recreate the graphics that are stretched in a 16:9 resolution image, and then resize that image to be 256x256 or whatever the standard is these days. Then when the image is stretched, it will be in true 16x9

I'm not entirely sure about this, but getting the HUD to render right could just be all in the hud.menu file. You would need to edit the size that the engine renders it at. Either some simple math or trial-and-error should give you what you need.

I might look into it later.

recreate the graphics that are stretched in a 16:9 resolution image, and then resize that image to be 256x256 or whatever the standard is these days. Then when the image is stretched, it will be in true 16x9

This would do the trick.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but getting the HUD to render right could just be all in the hud.menu file. You would need to edit the size that the engine renders it at. Either some simple math or trial-and-error should give you what you need.

I might look into it later.

The hud.menu/cgame/menu does everything based on a 640x480 screen space, hence the stretching that occurs.

I run my JA in 720p on my 32" lcd tv >.>

Doesn't matter what resolution you set JA to, it still uses the dimensions for the entirety of the UI as if it was in 640x480...

So if you want the way to make a good UI, make your UI set up to your resolution and then scale down to 640x480

Sentra likes this

Making the game run in true widescreen is easy but I bet messing with the image files for the HUD like reducing the width and "squishing" them so that you sort of trick the game into showing them properly in widescreen shouldn't be more than a few trial and error runs.

I never cared enough to bother with it since I use the simple elegance hud since everything else is just a distraction.

I didn't like the window mode, because in Win XP it caused errors in brightness. No problem in Win 7, but I like wide screen more.

However, as far as I know there was an alternative - when you have a resolution like in window mode, but with black stripes to the right and to the left. Not sure this works in JA, but in some other old games - yes.