[WIP] Imperial Space Station

I've been trying to develop my mapping skills and I finally feel like I can share something with you guys. This is my first map, and it was inspired by some vehicles I saw here. Allow me to show you some of the things I've done.

It's an Imperial R&D station in space. A place where scientists loyal to the empire help in the development of new weapons and protection for the imperial army. 

2l8dzdy.jpg

It is not a military base, so it's just protected by a small number of turbo-laser turrets. A miralan scientist is in charge of this facility, and thus is the target of a violent rebel cell which has a small base hidden nearby. 

This would be the rebel hangar: 

2mnr8yt.jpg

It's made up of a small fleet of a-wing fighters and a HWK-290 light freighter that has been adapted for combat. 

The rebel presence in the system hasn't passed unnoticed by the empire, and a small fleet has been deployed to protect the station. 

This would be the imperial hangar:

2nsyk4j.jpg

I didn't think of this map as a place exclusive for vehicle fightings. But the ships are necessary to access inside the station. 

This is the station's main hangar (seen in the first picture above):

10px5rr.jpg

v5l5wp.jpg

Imperial soldiers can travel through this (bland) corridor to access the turbolaser defenses and shoot incoming rebel ships, instead of relaying on the AI. 

23h8snk.jpg

2irrx5g.jpg

The turret in the middle can be controlled by the player.

Inside the station the player will be able to access the main elevator, which will lead him to the main room used for research. 

1zf7ers.jpg

15r1ppz.jpg

(The path was blocked by blast shields that were destroyed by rebel players)

ndq5i0.jpg

Beside this door lays the scientist's work place. I imagined it as a place where new technologies are being developed to improve the armor for the prototype of the TIE-Advanced.

e8ph4x.jpg

15s33fp.jpg

I used Imperial propaganda from Star Wars Rebels marketting campaign for some background decoration. 

And that's it for now. In the near future I'll show, if there's interest, some of the other things I've been adding to my map, and maybe some combat screenshots, since I test these things with my little bros. 

I welcome all forms of criticism or suggestions. 

Thanks! That means a lot to me. I've been working on this as a siege/MBII map, and so far I've used your Inquisitor model as the imperial's force user (haven't asked if you're okay with that yet, since I still haven't finished the map). The TIE-Advanced on the imperial's hangar is for him (still haven't decided on what model i'd like to use for the rebel's force user). 

I even added some sounds, so when he dies he says 'My master will not be pleased', or 'there are some things far more frightening than death" if he dies in space. 

Your map look very nice :3 The style of Jedi Academy is not my taste though but i still like how You used it :3 . I Rly like the lightning effect on the floor with heavy turrets and places with ships. You placed light enities or made lights with the shaders?

Noodle likes this

Your map look very nice :3 The style of Jedi Academy is not my taste though but i still like how You used it :3 . I Rly like the lightning effect on the floor with heavy turrets and places with ships. You placed light enities or made lights with the shaders?

Thanks! Some places use light entities and the others are done with shaders. The zone with the heavy turrets is lit with shaders, while both the rebel and imperial hangar are lit with a combination of entities and shaders. I try to place the entities close to light sources, so that their placing makes a bit of sense (and it doesn't ruin my immersion). 

Given the look, it's likely shader-generated light. That's good.

I'd like to see a few shots with r_showtris 1, to check out its portalling.

There's still much for me to learn about mapping. I don't think I'm familiarized with the concept of portalling. Though I'm sure there are some areas that are done better than others, which I'll re-do in the near future. 

Langerd likes this

It's not done yet. Why can't people see that when something is WIP it isn't out <script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window? window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)}); h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)}); var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f; if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c= 0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})(); pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://jkhub.org/index.php?s=f963cb06fb6e19dabe6031eb1547dc0c&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=7142&p=102839&md5check=89bf2fdbde4bd4c6627b2bbf38bd2d56&isRte=1,6QF_3AoSfD,true,false,uh90_0ApFJ4'); //]]></script>xsleep.png.pagespeed.ic.FvjHJTwPBm.png&&0

maybe 'tis because we're so inattentive :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been two years since I first posted this map. I went back and revisited it and realized it was quite bad, badly optimized and just plain ugly. Thus, I decided to give it a make over and now it's finally near to be finished!

I'll keep most of it secret, so people can explore, but these are some of the areas that were completely re-worked. 

Main hangar: 

Old:

v5l5wp.jpg

New:

3hBdqQc.jpg

Corridor: 

Old:

23h8snk.jpg

New:

pHFo7AQ.jpg

Elevator room:

Old:

1zf7ers.jpg

New: 

XRanpbA.jpg

More corridors:

Old:

15r1ppz.jpg

New:

RBl1etw.jpg

R&D room:

Old:

e8ph4x.jpg

15s33fp.jpg

New:

o5w1r9o.jpg

ta6158S.jpg

Hopefully, I'll release the non-siege/mbii version of this map this week Stay tuned! 

p.s: Can the title of this thread be changed to [WIP] Imperial Space Station? 

It's been two years since I first posted this map. I went back and revisited it and realized it was quite bad, badly optimized and just plain ugly. Thus, I decided to give it a make over and now it's finally near to be finished!

Those are some really great improvements you made. I particularly like the hallway with the 2 crates on one side and 3 on the other. That hallway is really well done. 

The pipes in the elevator room, did you ever think of making those sag a bit since it looks like there are two "collar thingy's" in the middle. I used it a lot in my project and it looked pretty cool.

Also, my only criticism would be to maybe break up the floor in the control room. See how you have that raised section where the planet hologram thingy is. Maybe add that to where the seats/console area is as well. Same with where the TIE screen is. 

:winkthumb:

I'll keep most of it secret, so people can explore, but these are some of the areas that were completely re-worked. 

Main hangar: 

Old:

v5l5wp.jpg

New:

3hBdqQc.jpg

Corridor: 

Old:

23h8snk.jpg

New:

pHFo7AQ.jpg

Elevator room:

Old:

1zf7ers.jpg

New: 

XRanpbA.jpg

More corridors:

Old:

15r1ppz.jpg

New:

RBl1etw.jpg

R&D room:

Old:

e8ph4x.jpg

15s33fp.jpg

New:

o5w1r9o.jpg

ta6158S.jpg

Hopefully, I'll release the non-siege/mbii version of this map this week Stay tuned! 

p.s: Can the title of this thread be changed to [WIP] Imperial Space Station?

Never liked the byss textures but you use them nicely! Great work. Also the ( @@Circa witness this!) LIGHTING ekhm.. works wonderful and it came from the light Sources.

It is very important for me in terms of Star Wars like because in movies lighting has a very big part of the atmosphere. Specially Episode 3 5 and 6

AshuraDX and Circa like this

Also, my only criticism would be to maybe break up the floor in the control room. See how you have that raised section where the planet hologram thingy is. Maybe add that to where the seats/console area is as well. Same with where the TIE screen is. 

Man, that's a great idea!

Never liked the byss textures but you use them nicely! Great work. Also the ( @@Circa witness this!) LIGHTING ekhm.. works wonderful and it came from the light Sources.

It is very important for me in terms of Star Wars like because in movies lighting has a very big part of the atmosphere. Specially Episode 3 5 and 6

Yeah, I started to dislike them a bit more when I re-did the map. I'm just using them because I needed a blue source of lightning that wasn't completely flat. Thanks for the comments! After doing this I really started to figure out how important was to give a proper source of lighting to my maps after my first attempts. Makes it look so much more immersive. 

From what I can see, I just love what's going on here. Is this a S/P? Looks like you're managing the S. W. atmosphere but with some better lighting. Keep going. Maybe add some interactive content. That 'new' corridor screenshot is so detailed and drooly.