Another KOTOR remaster...

Another group is attempted to remaster Knights of the Old Republic.

http://www.apeirongame.com

Obviously it looks great from those shots, but this is like the 4th time a group has tried to create a KOTOR remaster. If it's not a legit company that's being paid, it probably won't ever be completed, unless they get to a point where they can ask for donations and get a lot to support the project and the devs.

I hope they finish it of course, but I fully expect it to die like the others within a year or so.

Lancelot, Rostyslav and Bek like this

How many are there now? To tell the truth I am not very impressed with the screenshots: they are great, as you see cool graphics, shaders and effects, but in terms of Star Wars or KOTOR at least they can boast a little. I don't mind the KOTOR remastered version, but I am afraid, that the attempt to enhance KOTOR will change many things for the worse, and I am not speaking about Graphics Engine.

Inevitably such remasters often omit cool things like background characters, objects and features. Not all, but sometimes very memorable ones. As far as I remember, people, who worked on better graphics for KOTOR, showed better Bastila, better Revan, some hilts maybe, sometimes Sith troopers and HK-47, ignoring many other really important stuff, like other team members (T3-M4, Mission Vao, Zaalbar, etc), removing certain NPCs (like strange aliens, seen in KOTOR only twice – Paaerduag), adding objects from other games, instead of following the style and designs of the original game. Personally I like the way chaos, crates, doors were made in KOTOR. :)

But we shall see. Maybe they'll make something very good. For now we have this texture mod, as well as some others.

LucyTheAlien likes this

I feel, to some degree, from an artistic point of view...

Some of these pictures don't feel like Star Wars at all. More like... Dead Space?

I personally hope... That if they pull this off, that they won't add or remove any sort of character, that they use the voice actors from the KOTOR mod, perhaps optimize it slightly, and then leave it be.

I also don't get the first person point of view?

NumberWan likes this

I feel, to some degree, from an artistic point of view...

Some of these pictures don't feel like Star Wars at all. More like... Dead Space?

I personally hope... That if they pull this off, that they won't add or remove any sort of character, that they use the voice actors from the KOTOR mod, perhaps optimize it slightly, and then leave it be.

I also don't get the first person point of view?

To me, Knights of the Old Republic never really felt like Star Wars, at least not like the Star Wars I grew up with (Classic Trilogy first, Prequel Trilogy later).

But that wasn't a bad thing to me. There were still the essential elements of Star Wars in it, which was great. Maybe this project looks like Dead Space at the moment, but keep in mind that Knights of the Old Republic takes place

about 4000 years before the movies, and therefore the style needs to reflect a very different era.

And the first person view? The Unreal Engine is an engine for first-person shooters, so the templates of them are still there. But with some tweaks and stuff, you can make an RPG or something like Batman: Arkham Knight out of it.

• 4 weeks later...