OpenRP - Open Source RP Mod

What is OpenRP?

OpenRP is an open source RP mod that is being designed for JKA.

As the name states, it shall be used for roleplaying, but in addition to this, we intend for the mod to be relatively easy to use, all the while incorporating many features of other mods, in addition to many of our own features.

To incorporate features from other mods, we will use code from open source mods (if the author states it is allowed or gives us permission) or we will replicate features from other mods using our own code.

This will make for the best roleplaying experience, all the while not having a clunky or difficult to use interface.

OpenRP's goals

• We intend to have menus that perform the commands for you instead of always having to type it out. However, should you want to continue using the console, you are completely free to do so!
  • We further wish for the mod to have useful features, all the while incorporating feedback from its own user-base, to make this modification for JKA roleplay the very best it can be!

What features does it have?

• We are using an account and character creation system (courtesy of Legacy OJP, our former code base), in addition to an administrative system.

• Our admin system has all the basic commands of kick, ban, silence, and so on, but also has commands to enhance the roleplaying experience, such as the ability to change a map's music, play sounds, place effects(courtesy of ClanMod), place entities(courtesy of JA Coders) and so on.

• We also have various bug fixes and security enhancements and fixes thanks to our codebase of Razish's modbase.

• We have added a credits system, which will allow you to buy weapons and items, and possibly in the future various misc items such as food or drinks that increase your health by a small amount.

• Distance based chat - This means that you aren't able to hear those a certain distance away from you. This improves role playing as chat isn't being added to by others' RPs and helps to prevent metagaming.

• Faction system - Create your own faction, add or withdraw from your faction's bank if you're the leader of the faction, and see a roster of all faction members along with their ranks that you set.

What is planned for OpenRP in the future?

• We wish to design the menus to look and interact better with the user.

• We also wish to expand the maximum Force power level to level 5 or higher as opposed to base JKA's level 3.

What operating systems will OpenRP be available on?

OpenRP will be available on Windows on the day of release. Please note that as of the time of writing, we only intend to support Windows XP or higher. The mod may (and likely will) work on previous versions of Windows, but there are no guarantees.

Linux may be supported (serverside only, we don't have plans for clientside Linux support) after some issues with Linux compatibility are worked out.

No Mac support is planned as of the time of writing as no developers have access to a Mac or have knowledge on developing for Macs.

Can I download a .zip (or similar archive) of OpenRP (pre-compiled) now to test it?

Sorry, but currently a pre-compiled version of the mod cannot be currently downloaded.

Github does have an option to download a .zip of the code, but it's not compiled.

You can however, compile the source code if you want to and use that.

Can I develop or help with OpenRP?

We are not looking for any new team members at this time, however you can still feel free to contribute code using Git pull requests if you would like to.

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, feel free to message me here, or contact our PR guy, Zaxxeh.

OpenRP Team

@Fighter- Project Lead, Programming
@Buz - Graphical Design, Audio
@Zaxxeh - Public Relations
- Animations

Screenshots

ooc.png

Account info:
accountinfo.png

Character info:
characterinfo.png

Bounties:
bounty.png

Shop:
shop.png

Faction:
faction.png

Note that the colors and a few minor things have changed since when I took these screenshots.

Garyn Dakari and therfiles like this

Thanks. Some things I'm going to be working on are improving the admin system and improving CTF support. I've found that playing CTF and RPing it's huttball is pretty fun.

As for the admin system, whenever I see JA+ brought up somewhere, usually I see people talking about how JA+'s admin system has too many abuseable commands. Anyone who thinks that, can you please say what specific commands you see as abuseable, why you do, and if anything other than completely removing the commands can be done to make it less abuseable? Thanks.

Hm, honestly I think this looks pretty good. I'm rather biased due to the RPMod for JEDI.

But, as a new RP mod for JA, I think this looks good. Honestly will like to see what it looks like later on.

As far as admin commands being abused in JA+, its pretty much every command.

It more depends on the people and who's getting the commands and the like.

Fighter likes this

Hm, honestly I think this looks pretty good. I'm rather biased due to the RPMod for JEDI.

But, as a new RP mod for JA, I think this looks good. Honestly will like to see what it looks like later on.

As far as admin commands being abused in JA+, its pretty much every command.

It more depends on the people and who's getting the commands and the like.

RPMod was a big reason for me doing the mod. Some of the mod's developers including myself played on JEDI at some point and enjoyed using RPMod. We noticed RPMod was solely for use by the JEDI community, and other than RPMod, there really hasn't been a mod for JKA that's dedicated to RPers. There is Legacy OJP which OpenRP is based off of, but it appears it's no longer actively maintained. We wanted a mod that has more features meant for RPers, like RPMod offers. We want to create a mod that anyone can use to enhance their RP experiences.

As for admin commands, I agree that it depends on the people using the commands. However, I'm going to try and find pointless commands and remove them.

Yeah, I know a couple people have tried to get permission to use the RPMod for their servers...

But, I think its a great idea to get a mod out there that's designed for RP, because whether people want to admit it or not, RP has probably become bigger then the normal ol' clans.

I mean, even JA+ clans are starting to have a RP side, so that tells ya something ;)

As for the commands, its hard to tell which ones are pointless, honestly. At least to me.

For the majority of the commands that can be abused on others, I find they all have their own specific needs and the like.

The thing really is...the person who owns the server needs to watch what type of powers he/she gives to people.

That's where most the abusing comes from, is people who want to just use them for anything and everything.

Fighter(me) - Project Lead, Coding

Kidd - Not really a full time developer, but does and learns a little code alongside me

@@Buz - Pictures for menus, level shot, splash screen, etc, and main menu music

Zaxxeh - Public relations, sometimes learns a little code to help with the commenting of code

Kyle - May translate some stuff for us if needed and if he is able/wants to

Yes, you can have guns, as that's part of the game. XP progression, the only main gameplay feature of RPmod, only targets Force Sensative accounts. So no, RPmod is not for mercs or bounty hunters or whatever. It's limited to JEDI purposes, naturally, as that's what it was designed for.

It does not have non-Force Sensative feats. It does not have a currency system, nor any way to use such a currency system to progress or better outfit a gunner character.

RPmod is good for what it accomplishes. But for communities that are for more Open RP (lol name of the mod) this mod would work great. :) So once again, great job Fighter keep at it!

Actually, RPMod offers the ability to have accounts for more then Jedi, its simply a matter that those accounts aren't often made.

Mainly because we don't have a lot of Bounty Hunters or the like running around, but if there were, the accounts would be there. :P

The only problem with this is RPmod is strictly for the clan JEDI and not for others. If I, or anyone else were to come on asking for a bounty hunter character it would be denied. We both know that.

Yes, you can have guns, as that's part of the game. XP progression, the only main gameplay feature of RPmod, only targets Force Sensative accounts. So no, RPmod is not for mercs or bounty hunters or whatever. It's limited to JEDI purposes, naturally, as that's what it was designed for.

It does not have non-Force Sensative feats. It does not have a currency system, nor any way to use such a currency system to progress or better outfit a gunner character.

RPmod is good for what it accomplishes. But for communities that are for more Open RP (lol name of the mod) this mod would work great. :) So once again, great job Fighter keep at it!

Our mod tries to aim for a different level than Rpmod so that any Rp community can use it and it allows for a wide assortment of roleplay. It isn't centered around Force Sensitives. We plan on having soldier and mercenary progression as well. However Rpmod does have a lot of features that we try to incorporate into our design. We don't wish to recreate Rpmod, but it does have a level of influence.

Without the other perspective, it's hard to appreciate that feature. I'm presuming that the text gets dimmer the further away you are from the player speaking? Or, have you set it up so that you don't see the messages at all until you're within a certain range?

Once player 2 is far enough from player 1, player 2 doesn't see what player 1 is chatting. This only applies to regular chat and not OOC, comms, force talk, or PMs. The chat text currently does not get dimmer as distance within chatting range increases, but that's something I'd like to add once I make sure everything works as intended.

You know what I'd kill for? A server-side cvar to disable jumping. Literally - disable it altogether. You could always crank up gravity, but that's a dirty solution with a ton of side effects.

For non-force-sensitive RP, there's often really no need to have jumping, and not having it makes firefights more interesting and realistic.

Wait what... And how would you do airkills without jumps? Me no understand :wacko:

I'd definitely love something like that. It'd really make fire-fights more realistic. Although you should be able to trust the players not to bunny hop or jump excessively, it can get very difficult to enforce within a short space of time.

You know what I'd kill for? A server-side cvar to disable jumping. Literally - disable it altogether. You could always crank up gravity, but that's a dirty solution with a ton of side effects.

For non-force-sensitive RP, there's often really no need to have jumping, and not having it makes firefights more interesting and realistic.

I'll be sure to put this on the todo list, thanks for the suggestion :).

Also, after some feedback, I've decided to make the leveling system simpler. How it will ideally work is an admin will give skill points to a player and tell the player what to put them into. Once a player has a certain amount of skill points, they'll level up (still thinking what levels will do, probably provide benefits of some kind). I've been working on the skill point giving stuff the last couple of days. I've also been working on improving the account system. I'd like to make it so an admin can check what someone puts their points into.

A few updates:

Giving skill points to others is complete. There's a few issues to work out, but it worked quite well in testing sessions.

Thanks to @@eezstreet 's help, changing map music is now complete. You can also play sounds.

If you have multiple servers, they can share a single database with account info, characters, skill points, levels, etc. (This feature probably won't work well with regular GSPs for various reasons, but I might be able to do some stuff about that).