Warzone Foliage System

[EDIT] These are the old foliage system. Look at the latest posts in the tread for more up to date pictures.

Foliage system video. Dense foliage/tree map with Nvidia GTX 760.

Notes:
* (in before comments) Obviously actual in game FPS is much better when not also encoding video.
* The map is 32768 x 32768 x 32768 in size and contains nearly 900,000 plants/grasses/trees.
* Adding grass/plants/trees to any map is a single /genfoliage command. It may be required to add q3map_material shortgrass or q3map_material longgrass to the ground shader, but it will mostly be auto-detected.
* There are 3 cvar options to adjust quality vs speed.
cg_foliageDensity - removes plants within this range of eachother.
cg_foliageGrassRangeMult - Sets the max distance at which to draw grass.

cg_foliagePlantRangeMult - Sets the max distance at which to draw plants.
cg_foliageTreeRangeMult - Sets the max distance to draw background trees.

Screenshots

0cPF1vp.jpg
EK9nCek.jpg
L7bkebG.jpg
DxqCNUU.jpg
waX2PO0.jpg
Mxm3AD0.jpg
Omicron, Smoo, Kualan and 1 other like this

Such grass. Much. Epic. Very Wow.

Needs more wind.

Trees, grasses and plants do sway via GLSL. You can't see it in a screenshot of course :)

Needs less uniform or normal distribution, more scattering!

The genfoliage command has an option to generate foliages in clusters. This map's foliage info was just generated before I added that.

Still needs more grass, and some varied colors for it to.  eg: slightly yellowed, slightly deeper green, etc.

Agreed. I need to add multiple "maingrass" textures, or make the models use a skin to allow for multiple textures to be used on a single model. FPS is always the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

This is insanely cool. Is this just one map in particular, or?

The foliage system works with nearly any map (as long as the ground surfaces are marked with a compatible material type in the shader). This is a test map I made just for testing.

Nice.  Curious where are you getting some of the models for the trees, I can never find good tree models?

I know the feeling. I'll send you a link in a pm to what I have begun using.

The foliage system works with nearly any map (as long as the ground surfaces are marked with a compatible material type in the shader). This is a test map I made just for testing.

I see... so this is just implemented into the Warzone Mod? I'm pretty new, so I'm trying to catch up on how this and things like rend2 works.

Yet another big update today... I work too hard...

Today's new updates:

* Added map based climate options to the foliage system and 2 new tree/grass/plant sets.

* Replaced most of the old plant textures with new, better, ones.

* Replaced the plant model with a new faster one so I can draw grass and the plant at the same location.

* Updated test build.

Currently supported climate options are:

"tropical" - The new tropical forests (test with mandalore).

"tropicalold" - The old tropical forests (test with mandalore3).

"springpineforest" - A pine forest in spring (test with mandalore2).

"snowpineforest" - A snowy pine forests (test with hoth2).

"tropical" is default if there is no foliage/<mapname>.climateInfo file for now.

This is what each of the new climate options looks like...

tropical

iRzvFzt.jpg

springpineforest

2bXqR98.jpg

snowpineforest

HoZHUzJ.jpg

ent, Captain Leeroy, Futuza and 2 others like this
  • 2 weeks later...

Over the last few days I have written a replacement grass system that runs nearly completely on the graphics card.

Even with much higher visible range then before (2x the old range is the default), it runs much faster for me.

New cvars are:

r_foliage - turn grasses on/off - default on

r_foliageDistance - set distance to draw grasses out to - default 8192 (2x old range)

r_foliageDensity - Can use this to tweak the density to suit your PC.

xY4GKPY.jpg

A scene with just the new grass. Pretty stable between 100 and 110 fps (with 4x the old visibility range).

xTVGiFZ.jpg

Mandalore. Up from around 50 to 60 fps before to about 70 or 80 now (with 4x the old visibility range).

I am not completely happy with the position of the grasses (they are sunk into the ground a little too much at the moment), but it all works.

Futuza and Smoo like this

I see... so this is just implemented into the Warzone Mod? I'm pretty new, so I'm trying to catch up on how this and things like rend2 works.

Yeah these systems are in the warzone mod only at the moment. The code is available for other mods though.

By the way, just looked at your UI project. Very nice. You should jump on our irc channel at some point so we can chat :)

Smoo likes this

Yeah these systems are in the warzone mod only at the moment. The code is available for other mods though.

By the way, just looked at your UI project. Very nice. You should jump on our irc channel at some point so we can chat :)

Not familiar with IRC Channel... how do I go about that? Would love to chat. I mainly just use Skype.

Not familiar with IRC Channel... how do I go about that? Would love to chat. I mainly just use Skype.

There are various ways to access IRC. The easiest is probably using their web client.

Here is how to do that.

1. Go to http://www.arloria.net/

2. Click the "Flash Client" link.

3. Enter a nickname and click connect.

4. Once it finishes connecting, type "/join #warzone"

Smoo likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

That wind effect looks like the flowers are moving on an undulating sea-like ground. Unrealistic to me. Grass & flowers should sway from the tops.

Also, I realize you are just demo'ing the tech... but it seems unrealistic to have a continual uniform distribution of flowers (unless you are in the "Sound of Music" landscape). Distributions of different vegetation should be more realistic.

Raz0r likes this