I'm going crazy trying to get this to work.

Bek
Go to solution Solved by Langerd,

So lately I've been trying to texture this axe. And I've been having some problems:

As you can see the top part of the axe is ok, but the bottom part is kinda wonky. The hilt of the axe is supposed to be made of leather, but when I applied the texture, it looks kinda strange.

Here are the uvs for the hilt:

Clearly the uvs are kinda messed up, but I have no idea how to correctly add a seam that will make the uvs look proper. If anyone has any ideas on how to map it properly, then let me know please.

So lately I've been trying to texture this axe. And I've been having some problems:

As you can see the top part of the axe is ok, but the bottom part is kinda wonky. The hilt of the axe is supposed to be made of leather, but when I applied the texture, it looks kinda strange.

Here are the uvs for the hilt:

Clearly the uvs are kinda messed up, but I have no idea how to correctly add a seam that will make the uvs look proper. If anyone has any ideas on how to map it properly, then let me know please.

Hmm First I dont know if it is good idea but the model look very detail and many verts is created. Also You can try this method (i am not profesional modeler so dont know hot models will look with it)

3f5857b935541a9016ceacd9f00c5525.jpg

It would not only (i think ) remove some verts but also make better look of the uv

Edit: Or just use two textures instead.

Edited by Langerd
Bek likes this

Learn how to UV map correctly. If your package has a "flatten" UV option in the editor then use that and manually stitch back the seams, that's the only way to get distortion free UV'S. Placing your seams where they are hidden reduces the obvious break in the UV's (and texture projection in a painting app)

Bek and AshuraDX like this

Does it .. work?

Well I haven't yet applied it to the model, but what I have been doing is reorganizing the Uvs to fit the map. I did test out your method on a cylinder and I think it'll work for the lowpoly version of it.  I'll post it here when I'm done.  As of right now I have to deal with schoolwork. 

Learn how to UV map correctly. If your package has a "flatten" UV option in the editor then use that and manually stitch back the seams, that's the only way to get distortion free UV'S. Placing your seams where they are hidden reduces the obvious break in the UV's (and texture projection in a painting app)

I haven't seen that option for blender, but I'll look for anything similar to it. What do you mean by hidden? 

• Solution

First: I think that in some places Your model is too detail. It is not only good for the game but also makes Uv more complicated - Specially when You have very thick elements .

Second: This is the old game and some models will not be in front of the player eyes. You dont need to make texture 100% nice and clear laying on the model ;) (see for example clones made by neomarz1 - http://jkhub.org/files/file/601-clones-ultima-vm/ )
So in these thick , narrow places there is no need to make them detail looking (in most situations)

Third: Make these UVs more plane looking. Making it many small parts is harder to make them connected. Specially when You want to make a smooth connection. When the uvs are made in parts it is hard... they are too seperated.

AND very very imprtant thing! There is no need to make the model like You made on top.

And last thing. Hmm .. When You have elements that are similar or just looking the same - they can use the same texture ;) I just take the Uv on the right and place it on the same looking object's uv to make them look the same. This is not making good effect when the similarity is very visible and when they are next to each other (nobody like the repetetive textures becasue they look ugly :S)

So i hope that will help ;)

Also for bonus ... I have textured Your model today in 3 hours. I am learning some new stuff and Your model was great lesson for that 83
Some screens of the UV how i made and screens of my model

1979d5bc1fc60344acc43d584c33aba0.jpg
2de0abb3886ba980d5a1adae851a7b52.jpg
70fdb89370cd25e3b2ac259965d9aece.jpg
f227c4fa01852a371903ed3afcd9ca74.jpg
f40802fc5077abccde5e9ba9e72d8cae.jpg

I am just self learner so i am not advance modeler. Check some tutorials about Uv and modeling! ;)

Bek and Stoiss like this

Thanks so much @@Langerd, I've been spending the past couple of months trying to texture some of my models, but had very little success. Your tutorial, however, has helped me out immensely :).  I also now see the benefits to making things much more lowpoly.

Btw: the model looks awesome now!  :lol:

Edit: @@Langerd, could you send the model over, so I can study from it.

Langerd likes this

Thanks so much @@Langerd, I've been spending the past couple of months trying to texture some of my models, but had very little success. Your tutorial, however, has helped me out immensely :).  I also now see the benefits to making things much more lowpoly.

Btw: the model looks awesome now!  :lol:

Edit: @@Langerd, could you send the model over, so I can study from it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6r0coa0kpbht8cm/AACMYMC7WjWFH01daTafdyd5a?dl=0

Here You go ;) Btw is there any chance too upload my version of the axe?

Bek likes this