holy crap. i wasnt expecting this, but i compiled him with just a few things rigged correctly and the rest rigged to his hips, and it worked. at least, in modview, i now have a kazdan doing a single animation. so it looks good so far. ill rig him tonight and have a base animation to go with him to show off hopefully tomorrow

therfiles likes this
  • 11 months later...

this particular model, after making a fully working rig for him, will be rigged completely different XD his backpack is going to be rigged to one humanoid skele and made into a veh then his actual body the same, but as a playermodel. Then we will script him to use the vehicle in the boss battle. Now animating his walk cycles and things of that nature will most likely not be done by release, but he will be animated while on the backpack. I am not using any constraints or nothing, so if anyone wants, they can load him into dragon or something and make new anims for him. i just want him to work somewhat like he does in tfu... i'll let the community decide if they want to make him a singular player without the pack. thank you man I appreciate the positive feedback

this particular model, after making a fully working rig for him, will be rigged completely different XD his backpack is going to be rigged to one humanoid skele and made into a veh then his actual body the same, but as a playermodel. Then we will script him to use the vehicle in the boss battle. Now animating his walk cycles and things of that nature will most likely not be done by release, but he will be animated while on the backpack. I am not using any constraints or nothing, so if anyone wants, they can load him into dragon or something and make new anims for him. i just want him to work somewhat like he does in tfu... i'll let the community decide if they want to make him a singular player without the pack. thank you man I appreciate the positive feedback

I can imagine what you're describing and its ridiculously awesome... And also kudos for making him work like he does in TFU, but I think my general consensus is that releasing singular player models is the best way to keep everyone salivating for your work... Entrees preparing us for the main course.

Why are my metaphors food based? Perhaps I am hungry...

Anyhow, fantastic work as always and I love all your updates.

hrmmm... well.. he would still be a decent npc... just would need a dedicated animator to get him walking correctly and stuff after being rigged to the human skele.. or what do you guys think? @@DT85 @@AshuraDX @@katanamaru whats an easier way to rig kazdan? rancor skele right? his legs would be better.. everything. sure he'd walk like a constipated nerd but it would be a lot better to have a decently fit skele to work from with animating. still not animating him tho =P too much modelling and texturing to do. maybe after its all said and done but like i said i def wont let it hold the mod up

If it were me, I'd strap him to the JKA skeleton. His mechanical arms and legs of course weighed to the arms and legs bones, then add bones for his actual body to move in a few custom made animations. This way you don't need to redo a hefty amount of animations, just a few that you want his flesh body to move. Add new mouth bones and have him run off his own GLA. ;)

To nail down how he walks and attacks, you'd of course need to redo some animations but as I said this method will take care of the bulk.

I *think* you can have custom GLA's for each model, just that its coded to run off _humanoid/animation.cfg and no other. Been a while since I mucked around with this sort of thing, last time was a few years ago for JKG.

I doubt it's been changed from base JKA, but anything's possible. At least if you go OpenJK you can edit what you want provided you know how lol. :P

I don't think you need to ask, you just need to make your code freely available. ;)

If all else fails, have a SP model (using the custom GLA I mentioned) and a MP model using the standard player GLA. ;)

ChalklYne likes this
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I built it straight from a ref right over the jka skele. What i could do is have kazdan rigged to the rancor skele to avoid animating those quadraped legs he has. I have fit him to the skele nicely, but he has to be emotionless and his mouth wont work. Or, i could just rig him to the jka skele from the knees to the elbows since hes short and rig his face correctly. But then his hands wont work. So im tossing around ideas, but hes going to be in the mod regardless. The backpack rigs right up, then i could also just bolt on a kazdan glm once he selects the vehicle like ashura suggested with his arms folded in front of him letting the backpack do all the movement. Chances are, i will have 3 models lol. One kazdan rigged to a rancor skele. One rigged to humanoid skele. One posing glm for while in vehicle. Using the rancor one for when hes walking around with no backpack arms extended, and the humanoid one for any cutscene talking i might need from him. Plus the backpack vehicle character. It should wind up being ok for the brief amount of time he will be in the mod. Plus will be different to see

I built it straight from a ref right over the jka skele. What i could do is have kazdan rigged to the rancor skele to avoid animating those quadraped legs he has. I have fit him to the skele nicely, but he has to be emotionless and his mouth wont work. Or, i could just rig him to the jka skele from the knees to the elbows since hes short and rig his face correctly. But then his hands wont work. So im tossing around ideas, but hes going to be in the mod regardless. The backpack rigs right up, then i could also just bolt on a kazdan glm once he selects the vehicle like ashura suggested with his arms folded in front of him letting the backpack do all the movement. Chances are, i will have 3 models lol. One kazdan rigged to a rancor skele. One rigged to humanoid skele. One posing glm for while in vehicle. Using the rancor one for when hes walking around with no backpack arms extended, and the humanoid one for any cutscene talking i might need from him. Plus the backpack vehicle character. It should wind up being ok for the brief amount of time he will be in the mod. Plus will be different to see

Hahaha, the backpack as its own vehicle... That's ingenious. I can't wait to see whatever version or versions comes to life from this. It really is a fantastic and worthwhile mod.

ChalklYne likes this

It looks a bit funky with some animations, but I managed to make a test biped in Max for the proportions of this model and transferred the entire JKA GLA animations onto it. The biggest pain are the hands as they didn't transfer well, especially the right one.

Whoa...

Is the reason it needs a new anim set because of the cylindrical gears that move the peices might actually move at weird angles? Im not really understanding what you meant when you said he needs a new anim set. Regardless, i made the arms much shorter to match jka skele, but if i wanted them to crawl around like a spider he has two stubby legs =(