hey crimson u were right dude. arms and legs move weird. gotta either maybe rig him like a lil bit in front of the skele i was thinking, or just change his anims. its kazdan and he crawls around like a little spider monkey so i kinda figured he would have to be reanimated in the beginning. any other ideas or input? same thing with proxy the arms just move too smoothly to do robotic movement unless u reanimate im guessing. any animators willing to take one?

heres some better details...

his face is cool to be rigged correctly, and his extremities will be the mechanical arms, his body just weighed to a backbone, and his actual little hands and feet maybe rigged like 15% to the hips and shoulders so his little hands and feet gesture as to what his mechanical stuff is doing.

and takers on animating it?

well... i can give an object just one bone (thanx jc) and compile it in assimilate and itll be a .glm with a .gla and an animations.cfg. i have animated it and stuff too so the object spins when gripped. so, technically i made a custom skele and it worked. same thing right just more bones? sure id have to start his anims from scratch, but hed be boss if i did

as long as i replaced his animations.cfg with the _humanoid one, and changed his framenums to match his new anims, hed be a playable character just like every other one. seem plausable anyone?

nevermind i got it figured out thru better rigging. for the most part. some stuff is inevitably gunna have to be reanimated. but now i cant test it out cuz im running modtool 7.5 and when i export a .xsi it says function not implemented in mod tool version =(

You can make a custom skeleton and animation set but you could not play as it in MP, it can be a NPC or you could play as it in SP but that's it.

Post your dotXSI export settings, I forget what exactly I had to do to get things to export, I don't think that all options are enabled but the ones needed are.

EDIT: Just exported Almighty_gir's Revan again to make sure, must not be doing something right.

There you go, you don't need that option anyway, that's there so that Softimage will make copies of the textures used by the scene to the folder you export to. As long as you have UV information, textures applied to the model in the scene and a .skin file then you're good.

EDIT: Updated tutorial thread so hopefully no one encounters this problem.

hey i got that eclypse weighing tutorial if anybody wants me to up it. also, it doesnt say it in eclypse's tutorial or any ive seen yet, but if u get all done with yer model ive noticed it helps if i set a keyframe at base position at frame 0 and rotate a bone a bit and keyframe it to frame 1 that way i avoid that "error: header# frames 2 but i read in 1 terribly bad" bs error in assimilate

I wouldn't advise moving the bones, I normally just set a key at 0 and 1 on all bones using both translate and rotate so that I can move things around to check the weights then just hit the left or right arrow keys and it snaps back to the base pose.

You can post his tut if you want, I don't remember it being very good since he made it the day after I taught him how to rig a model in Softimage so it was really made by a total amateur. Once Kain's textures are done I can make a good video tutorial like I already have done for SWBF2.

Inyri likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

proxy is being resegmented atm... and on the side im finishing up kazdans rig. ill hopefully be able to start his anims soon. heres some progress and an idea of how his rig will operate

kazrig.gif

messin with his bone structure and fixing little deformers here n there to make sure he moves like i want...

rigw.jpg

Bek likes this

so im just setting up the constraints for the feet and finger curls and what not so i can animate him easier in xsi... but its a task and a half for a n00br like me, so on my off time in between im retexturing him, and finishing up proxy. heres some texture updates as i work on them...

overc.jpg

Bek likes this
  • 1 month later...

so it wont show my finger controls cuz i think i set fraps to record the windows instead of fullscreen, but u can get the jist of it all right here i think. been workin like a dog tryina get this kazdan skele correct. its all made out of bones and nulls, constrained by control objects and such, so it should work just fine. im gunna give the file to mini if hes feelin generous (usually is) and have him gimme a second opinion if this things ready or not... then i can start animating, which shouldnt be too difficult now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wKTA8aZ7g0&feature=youtu.be

ill check with mini then start rigging him to this skele

ill post some more vids as i go if this things ready to rock. i dont see why not its all nulls and bones and i beleive the bones are going to be exported as nulls in the xsi file before assimilate, so, id imagine as long as its all nulls, and i animate it all here in xsi, ill have no problems. ill prolly export a test version soon with just 1 animation to make sure i did it right.

heirarchy =) get ready for it... i still need to rename a few things i forgot

kazheirarchy.jpg

heres a preview of how the cloth and face would move according to this skele

try and disregard the rest of the stationary geometry

i just need to give him some teeth and adjust his snarl to make more of an impact when i animate him to be angry

but this should also give an idea as to how simple he would be to animate once i get the go ahead from mini that i didnt screw the pooch lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KS4lSLmrBo&feature=youtu.be

spior likes this