Star Wars: Episode IX

Since i have found this article over the internet today, I might say, that this one is pretty interesting (assuming if that is not a fake one). Never the less, even if it is a fake article, I am still finding it interesting to discuss. That is why I want to see and hear all your opinions. How do you see the upcoming 2 new movies from the sequel trilogy of Star Wars. How do you find the idea about the other two "small" movies, about Rogue One and Han Solo.
Do you think those 2 directors (for episodes 8 & 9) are gonna make it as much good as JJ. Abrams did in The Force Awakens.
Is there a chance they can make it a good saga, or f**** up for all generations. What do you think about their movie portfolio (former movies, they took part in directing or writing).

Colin Trevorrow Drops All Kinds of Hints About Episode IX, Rey’s Parentage, & Which Original Trilogy Stars Will Return for the Final Film

Oh well we might aswel start early, after all the topic for episode seven discussion was started year before the premiere, (or more?).
I'm personally very interested in the origins of Rey, and the speculations started floating around the internet right after the premiere. I like the rumour about her being the daughter of Luke, which kinda makes sense, but even so it doesn't have to be true. But, what intriques me the most is the vision Rey had when she touched the saber of Anakin (later passed onto Luke) it hints that Rey was at the Academy when Kylo turned against Luke. Also, Kylo seemed to almost remember her, he said, if I remember correctly " oh, it's you"

I know there was Yoda's voice and Obi-Wan's voice (alec guinness) in there too as if it was just a Force reaching out to her but I think there's also hints with deeper meaning hidden in the vision, like HOW can she see Kylo standing in the rain with a 'gang' of darksiders/ bad boys/ knights of ren. Speaking of The Knight of Ren; did they seek out Ben Solo or did he seek out them? Are they all knights of Kylo or is he simple a master to them? Did Snoke persuade him to join the Darkside, or did Ben read/learn about him? These are all interesting guestions, but I guess we'll have to wait for more official stuff from Disney.

dark_apprentice likes this

True and I do agree with your opinion in here, assuming that I myself watched lots of videos on YT and others with fan speculations and others on both Episodes 8 and 9. Also not far from your interest about Rey and Kylo or the knights. What actually got my interest on higher level, was what I read on the link above from the director of 9-th Episode talking on Rey. There is a plot twist. Rey can be Luke's daughter as most of us are expecting, but she can also be a hidden child from another parent or something, that will turn us all on 360°. As for the voices of Yoda and Ben Kenobi, I learned, there was a mix of Obi Wan (Ewan McGregor voice) and Sir Alec Guinness (using part of a word he said in Episode IV).

So i was also curious about both director's work and how do you think of them over SW saga.

But.... we don't even know what happens in VIII yet.....

Indeed, but there are already so much rumors, speculations and so on. I think we can express many things in here, more or less from the point of view about the Art (of the two different directors, who will continue the saga). Their "film portfolio", the chance that they can make it as good as JJ Abrams did with Ep. 7 or... even make it worse than the prequels (keep in mind, that personally I love all 7 movies, and even the EU and TFU 1+2 no matter most of them are non canon or other fans don't like them). As a person of the Art, I like to see/read/listen everything in order to have a larger and better knowledge for myself. Yes we still have to wait for SW Rogue One, than for Ep. 8 after that Han Solo's movie and Ep. 9 but still we can discuss about what it might become or not.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

Indeed, but there are already so much rumors, speculations and so on. I think we can express many things in here, more or less from the point of view about the Art (of the two different directors, who will continue the saga). Their "film portfolio", the chance that they can make it as good as JJ Abrams did with Ep. 7 or... even make it worse than the prequels (keep in mind, that personally I love all 7 movies, and even the EU and TFU 1+2 no matter most of them are non canon or other fans don't like them). As a person of the Art, I like to see/read/listen everything in order to have a larger and better knowledge for myself. Yes we still have to wait for SW Rogue One, than for Ep. 8 after that Han Solo's movie and Ep. 9 but still we can discuss about what it might become or not.

That's the kind of mindset we ALL need. Legends or Canon, you like it? It's still Star Wars. ^_^ Anyways....We indeed have to wait. It's like currently right now, we're in the Falcon and the Outrider in the Hoth Asteroid Field and we know there's something good beyond the Asteroids. But in order to GET THERE since we can't just jump into Hyperspace right away, we have to tread through the asteroids (Or wait for the films to come out) to see WHAT is beyond the asteroids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6wVh1Eke7Q&list=PL0GtMdT5kmOHcPo0c4r0edmKYkxbwiHmU&index=3

dark_apprentice and z3filus like this

It was more or less clear, what conclusion would be with Episode VI - Luke and Vader would ultimately meet again, and the final battle would take place (though viewers would have to guess, whether Vader told the truth on Bespin, whether Yoda would return, as well what happened with Han Solo in Jabba's hands, etc).

With the Prequels it was also more or less obvious, that we would see the fall of the Jedi and the Republic and most importantly - the birth of Darth Vader. Surely the story was covered in many other - additional - subplots, like Dooku's appearance, the Clone Wars and Plaguies mystery among many other things.

What have we here? The New Republic got a mortal blow for sure: with the capital, Senate and most of the fleet destroyed, it is possible, that the First Order would start a crusade against the Galaxy - and what Hux said in his speech - most systems would bow before their new Empire, or at least wouldn't try to support the Resistance, fearing other things - terrible ones - to happen to them as well.

We don't know where Snoke is hiding, perhaps their planet holds many secrets and things more terrible than Starkiller Base. It is also where Hux escaped to, as well where Kylo would continue his training. Does it mean, that this is where the Knights of Ren are also hiding?

I wonder how would we be reintroduced to Rey: perhaps the beginning of the film would concentrate on something else (Finn's mission, Leia arrival somewhere, etc), while Rey and Luke would be reintroduced a bit later - found by a space traveller the way Luke encountered Yoda on Dagobah. Surely the First Order would have to show their might, now that the Republic is crippled considerably.

There was a word, that the film would introduce new types of First Order stormtroopers: on Hoth we see snow troopers, and TFA shows many different kinds at once, so perhaps Episode VIII will show us some lava troopers of the First Order (if it takes place on Sullust for instance), or underwater troopers (Mon Kalamari perhaps?).

I haven't read the novel to Episode VII, but it might have some hints on already introduced things, which are sure to come back in the next movie.

Both 8 and 9 might repeat the same formula as as 5 and 6 but differently.Or go an entirely different route that remains to be seen.

Yeah just like episodes 1,2,3 followed the blueprint of episodes 4,5 and 6.  Episode seven was pretty much like 1 and 4 with a young stronghearted person being drawn into a battle between good and evil, slowly understanding the Force and accepting his/her fate at the end, We've seen Anakin and his son Luke take up this path and now it's Rey's turn. (obviously) but yeah is she Luke's daughter or not? The way I see it, there are atleast these options;

• Rey is the daughter of Luke Skywalker, and Luke will die in episode 8 so that a new Skywalker can bring peace to the Galaxy in episode 9.

Who knows Rey gets more attached with her aunt Leia and together they'll unlock the mysteries of the Force so that Rey can confront Ben.

• Rey's heritage is irrelevant. She's simply a youngling who survived the bloodbath at Luke's Academy.

Luke's role in this trilogy is a mystery still. I think it's important to first remember that Mark Hamill wen't trough hell and high water to shape up for the role. Anyone who has seen episode seven probably thought that there's no way he got in shape just that scene. I'm not expecting him to do stunts like in the ROTJ, but it feels logical that he has some scenes ahead of him that require a more fit body.  Maybe we'll see a new version of Obi vs Ani / Sidious vs Yoda ? Luke being Yoda, Snoke being Sidious. Rey being Obi-Wan going against Anakin (Ben). 

Also.. why did Luke escape and hide himself after the Academy was taken? Did he loose someone, like the mother of his daughter as a certain theory suggests? Also, did Luke perhaps duel Snoke and leave him weak, assuming Snoke died? or did Snoke get his wounds by Palpatine (meaning that Snoke would be Plaqueis) The thing that I don't get is HOW does Leia and Han know about Snoke, were they all at the Academy that one faithful day?

A lot of things speak in favor, that Rey is Luke's daughter. But some say, that she can be related to Obi Wan, though this is unlikely in my opinion.

Also.. why did Luke escape and hide himself after the Academy was taken? Did he loose someone, like the mother of his daughter as a certain theory suggests? Also, did Luke perhaps duel Snoke and leave him weak, assuming Snoke died? or did Snoke get his wounds by Palpatine (meaning that Snoke would be Plaqueis) The thing that I don't get is HOW does Leia and Han know about Snoke, were they all at the Academy that one faithful day? [/color]

I guess Episodes VIII and IX will reveal these mysteries the way Episode V did: in the next chapters we will see, that the truth we know about Kylo Ren and Luke is not that truth we expected. Perhaps Kylo Ren killed all the Jedi not because of his mastery, but because of trickery – either on the part of knights of Ren or Snoke (secret weapon, super powers, etc). The other revelation I expect to see is that Luke is indeed to blame for what happened: he did something, so that the Order was left vulnerable and unprotected. Most likely he was away from their Temple and... why he was away? Probably he was searching for the recently discovered Jedi relic (which was a trap), or he might have been trying to "save friends" the way it happened in Episode V. And that was his undoing.

• 4 weeks later...

So, today as I was watching the news in my country (Bulgaria), I have found one article (it's not in english), which says that from LucasFilms and Disney have confirmed the official start of shooting both Episode 8 and 9. As they stated in the article:

– "Most of the artist's crew, that were seen in Episode 7 (The Force Awakens), will return for the two new episodes (Episode 8 and Episode 9), also accompanied by Rogue One (coming on the end of 2016), and a whole movie devoted to the legendary Han Solo.

Also, there was a little rumor in the article (NOT sure, of it's legitimate sources and if it's a fake one or just a 2-nd Working Title for the Episode 8 movie: A New Thread.

Let me know of what do you think on this name guys, even if it is not going to be the official name at the end or if it's just a fake made up by the media.

• 1 year later...

So the time is passing and many things changed in the saga. What we know for sure is that now we have about 90 days left until Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi hits the theaters
(15-December 2017)

Of course the new topic that gets more light with the time is the following Episode IX. So far we don't have any clue about working or official titles, but one thing is 100% and that is that former Disney pickup for the writer/director post Colin Trevorrow is no longer considered for this matter, however after a couple of days speculating from the fans we finally got official confirmation from LucasFilm and Disney that Episode IX will have returning write/director in the face of J.J. Abrams (or as many would call him Jar Jar Abrams for good reasons).

Now let us focus on something as I saw couple of opinions over YouTube from many fans and articles on the internet.

* First fact is that for 1 full year, we had to see how LucasFilm / Disney fired 3 people from their directing positions. Two of them were in the not so expected still untitled anthology of Han Solo (coming around May 2018) and now with Episode 9 and pushing it's date for December 2019.

* Perhaps the most likely scenario for all this as one youtuber mentioned, Disney/LucasFilm are very picky right now with the opportunity to continue the saga and not dealing with tons of angry fans, so maybe that is the reason they want to stick with someone who is with good name and reputation in the movie industry, but it's opening a new question for people like me:
– Why J.J. Abrams for Episode IX and why not some one else, for sure we have a lot of good writers/directors to finish this saga or why not even the Maker himself - George Lucas to finish the 9-th movie even that he is officially "off" with the saga and doesn't want to be involved in the new sequel trilogy (personally I'd like to see Lucas taking on IX compared to J.J. Abrams even that both have a lot of negative feedback from fans).

* Or simply LucasFilm is no longer what it once was for the saga and the fans around the world and people such as president of LucasFilm, Kathleen Kennedy want to avenge her father in her own way or just wanting to s***t off on the movies wherever and however she can. After all Disney provides the money, directors just follow their duties but K.Kennedy wants to "upgrade" the world of Lucas and s***t around. <--- Yes this is a rude way to see the perspective, but after all it's all about the certain point of view for the fans.

What else do you think, is it really good to have J.J. Abrams back as writer & director for Episode IX or is it that bad at all would you prefer anyone else but him to write/direct the last movie.
Why do you think so and how would you feel about the completely new story for Episode 9 that will be written by him, based on his carrier as writer/director so far from his very first movie ever made until the last movies he worked on including Episode 7?

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

So who's gonna get kidnapped and carbonite-frozen to be rescued in Episode IX?

Probably Poe. In Ep IX, they rescue him, Luke dies and becomes one with the Force. In the end, Kylo throws Snoke off a shaft then dies. Rey burns his body, then they all celebrate around the camp fire while they have a force vision of Kylo, Luke and Anakin and Chewy plays bongo with Stormtrooper helmets.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• 3 months later...

Alright, so we all (most of us I assume), already saw second chapter of the sequel trilogy, Episode 8 "The Last Jedi" which I personally find very great movie with new perspectives and something original. Beside the next months still arguing fans weather it's a good movie or not, we finally have some more update in regards to coming Episode IX currently directed by J.J. Abrams.

There are already couple of speculations and theory videos on the net, but what we know for sure is, that working title of the movie is set as "Black Diamond" (many speculate it's about Snoke's ring), also Abrams already pitched his story idea from his script (which he had to completely overwrite, after Disney/Lucasfilm fired Colin from the director's post), to Disney's CEO.

Early filming is set to start in June 2018 at Pinewood studios, UK.

• 1 month later...

All i can say at this point is that the spinoffs are better than the sequel trilogy.

I really don't follow the sequels - don't wanna be disappointed beforehand - but so far, I think Rogue One was better than TFA and TLJ. Don't know anything of ep 9, don't care enough to bother either. Not sure what to expect of the Han Solo spinoff, but I already don't like the cast.

Note: Sorry if I'm not making much sense, I'm a bit buzzed.

dg1995, Noodle and TheWhitePhoenix like this
  • 1 year later...

Note: Pardon if such a thread already exists, in my short search, I couldn't find it. :(

Now, I know that most of us were disappointed with the new trilogy (maybe even with the whole of the new canon), and would say there's nothing to discuss, but some of us weren't (me not included though :D), and rewatching gave some of us second thoughts. Personally, I thought that the new trilogy shouldn't be SW, but a setting of its own, then it'd work more or less well (oh, and nerf Rey please). I also think that TFA was great visually, but the plot was lacking; TLJ was a drag, and visually wasn't as good. But that's just my opinion.

Anywho, I don't follow SW news, so if the plot of episode 9 is already known (beyond recycling the OT again, that is), I apologize, but:

1. What would you like to see in the movie?
  2. What do you expect to see?
  3. What would you not want to see?

Me? Here's what I think;

• The Knights of Ren will finally return, and will be featured as more prominent characters. In TFA they seemed to be significant, no? And with Snoke and Phasma dead, and Kylo taking charge, I think the mood is set for them to enter stage against Rey and the lot.
  • Leia will probably oversee Rey's further training (off-screen? in CGI? Carrie Fisher is dead :(), since she's already shown knowledge of the Force (remember that space scene?), and maybe they'll even begin training new Force-sensitives. This last part would depend on how much time passes between the episodes, of course; or as a short scene at the end of the movie.
  • I guess there will be yet another "big forest/ jungle fight with the help of natives" (though they'll probably be actually "bad" this time around, not teddy-bears, or whatever) since it's the only major OT battle they didn't yet recycle.
  • Somewhere I've read that Hux turns out to be a turncoat. If this is true, then it'll be either because he was working for the good guys all along, or because he doesn't like Kylo's direction (the latter would be more likely, though I'm not sure that he'd actually join the Resistance, considering how it's almost utterly defeated, and how he created the impression of a staunch believer in the First Order principles. Maybe he'll start a separatist movement within the FO that will fight against both Kylo and the Resistance? That'd be interesting. But this is SW, and Disney, so if he does turn out to be a turncoat, then it'll definitely be because he's either a Resistance agent, or because he gets an actual change of heart - see Kallus in Rebels; not to mention that it's the final movie in the trilogy, and even if he does become a third leader, he'll get immediately pwned (unless he pwns Kylo and then fights the Resistance)).
  • Finn breaks up with Rose on friendly terms and will seek Rey, but it will most likely not work out, since she's now a Jedi, and all. Or, maybe Kennedy'll pull a fast one and Rey turns out to be a lesbian who's madly in love with some girl, for whose return she was originally waiting on Jakku, and this girl will somehow turn up. (come on, if Poe isn't gay, then Rey definitely is! -_-)
  • Kylo will be defeated, but I can't really say if it'll be death, or his feeling for Rey and his mom that will lead him to the Light Side.

Did I miss any other plot-points or "things"? Don't think so.

What do you think?

Edit:This post as originally part of a standalone thread but has been merged with this one. If some things feel out of place, that's because they are. :P :P

It seems they finished filming, so the Episode is in late production. I guess even at this point we might say, that Star Wars as we know it ends now. I mean, Episode IX is the last SW film, which would keep most of the original Star Wars traditions under its wing:

-The starting crawl with a yellow font
-A space scene being ALWAYS the first one to appear in a film
-Someone with a lightsaber would always pop up and be in the centre of the plot
-Skywalkers playing at least a major background role
-R2-D2 and C-3PO duo (not a cameo)
-No actors replacing major parts in the plot
-John Williams score

Meanwhile I read some leaks from Episode IX, but most can be called fake. Most of the rumours are about:
(Careful, SPOILERS ahead)

-Knights of Ren returning to the Galaxy and perhaps serving Kylo Ren or confronting him
-Rey training as a major Jedi and starting a new generation of keepers of the peace
-General Hux betrayal of the First Order
-Leia appearing briefly
-Luke as a Force ghost
-Lando returns (confirmed)
-Return to a familiar place from Star Wars
-Possible return of Palpatine (with a young actor invited to play the "clone")
-Snoke not dead
-Rey's parents weren't "nobody"
-Rey might have a child or/and is connected to a great Force User
-Anakin Skywalker appearing as a Force Ghost
-Final scene making a stone for another trilogy, set somewhere 100-300 years later (rumour was that R.Johnson was to film the three films about historians of the future, retelling the original Episodes IV-VI in their own manner – cheesy, if you ask me)

Smoo likes this

It seems they finished filming, so the Episode is in late production. I guess even at this point we might say, that Star Wars as we know it ends now. I mean, Episode IX is the last SW film, which would keep most of the original Star Wars traditions under its wing:

-The starting crawl with a yellow font

-A space scene being ALWAYS the first one to appear in a film

-Someone with a lightsaber would always pop up and be in the centre of the plot

-Skywalkers playing at least a major background role

-R2-D2 and C-3PO duo (not a cameo)

-No actors replacing major parts in the plot

-John Williams score

Meanwhile I read some leaks from Episode IX, but most can be called fake. Most of the rumours are about:

(Careful, SPOILERS ahead)

-Knights of Ren returning to the Galaxy and perhaps serving Kylo Ren or confronting him

-Rey training as a major Jedi and starting a new generation of keepers of the peace

-General Hux betrayal of the First Order

-Leia appearing briefly

-Luke as a Force ghost

-Lando returns (confirmed)

-Return to a familiar place from Star Wars

-Possible return of Palpatine (with a young actor invited to play the "clone")

-Snoke not dead

-Rey's parents weren't "nobody"

-Rey might have a child or/and is connected to a great Force User

-Anakin Skywalker appearing as a Force Ghost

-Final scene making a stone for another trilogy, set somewhere 100-300 years later (rumour was that R.Johnson was to film the three films about historians of the future, retelling the original Episodes IV-VI in their own manner – cheesy, if you ask me)

Well, I could do without those supposedly trademark things that the OT introduced, especially without the starting crawl - so darn annoying - and the R2+3PO duo (the latter is already redundant with BB-8 anyway).

What does 'no actors replacing major part in the plot' mean?

As to what you hid under the spoilers, you yourself mentioned that most of them can be called fake, so it's not a big deal. Then again, half of them are either already to be expected from a logic point of view, or are just something fans want to see because they're nostalgic for the old EU or because they wanted the ST to be deeper.