Has anyone heard of NS2?

Apparently since 2006 a team of 7 has been making a game that really shouldn't be possible. Not in the sense that such as small team cannot produce a game, as it is done all the time, but this one is actually resembling a AAA title game, and they are using their own engine that they coded just for this game! O.o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re9sqgeWFDM&feature=player_embedded

"Natural Selection 2 is an immersive, multiplayer shooter that pits aliens against humans in a strategic and action-packed struggle for survival. It seamlessly combines a shooter/FPS gameplay with a strategy (RTS) game.

The game is in active beta with 40,000 players – we’re releasing updates nearly every week with new units, abilities, maps, improvements, etc. NS2 v1.0 will launch on Steam this summer."

Apparently it's predecessor was a Half-Life mod.

Azatha likes this

Well, I must say it looks really great. Definitely a game I'll have to look into trying out.

Though, it seems to be a mix of Half-Life, Halo, and maybe even a touch of...oh what game am I thinking of, can't remember.

But yeah, it looks interesting so I'll give it a try sometime...maybe when it comes out of beta.

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst I applaud the effort that apparently went into the development of this game, I can't say that it really strikes me as all that interesting to play. I tip my hat to the small group of guys who put it together, but this one's definitely not for me.

This was basically my point...I can't see myself playing this, but if a team that small can build a game (even creating the engine) then it gives me a little more confidence in my own abilities.