Frustrating problem with a 99% complete map (HELP)

We are 3 people working on pushing this map out. Its a clan jedi temple map.

The map is complete. But we suffer from compile problems due to one persistant transparent/void/glitchy f***** wall.

When doing the final compile of the map using GTK 1.5s Q3Map2 (the one that doesnt have >2GB Ram):

I am presented with either a malloc error which obviously is due to the ram. I am able to bypass this by using the parameter of -lomem. Regardless, the map comes out in fullbright! It looks hideous for a final compile and it doesnt even take long to do. I am fairly certain my compile parameters are fine as well as I am using the built in one but just adding -lomem to the light stage.

Now why am I not using Ydnars >2GB Q3Map2? I would love to and here lies the problem. There is a single f****** wall that in radiant appears fine and when compiled with 1.5, appears fine. But when using Ydnars compiler, this area is transparent and instead shows us the skybox and causes void issues. It really is a minor area too so I cannot understand how myself and our other 2 mappers fail to fix this no matter what we do.

One of the first things we did was recreating it. I just attempted it myself and the issue persists. I tried with edge tool, I tried with the clipper. I even rather keeping it solid as a square. All from scratch. Theres some black magic at work here... Ive only gotten four hours of sleep because I have been bashing this wall into pieces and it just will not give in. It consists of 2 brushes.

shot0041.jpg

shot0042.jpg

shot0043.jpg

We are 3 people working on pushing this map out. Its a clan jedi temple map.

The map is complete. But we suffer from compile problems due to one persistant transparent/void/glitchy f***** wall.

When doing the final compile of the map using GTK 1.5s Q3Map2 (the one that doesnt have >2GB Ram):

I am presented with either a malloc error which obviously is due to the ram. I am able to bypass this by using the parameter of -lomem. Regardless, the map comes out in fullbright! It looks hideous for a final compile and it doesnt even take long to do. I am fairly certain my compile parameters are fine as well as I am using the built in one but just adding -lomem to the light stage.

Now why am I not using Ydnars >2GB Q3Map2? I would love to and here lies the problem. There is a single f****** wall that in radiant appears fine and when compiled with 1.5, appears fine. But when using Ydnars compiler, this area is transparent and instead shows us the skybox and causes void issues. It really is a minor area too so I cannot understand how myself and our other 2 mappers fail to fix this no matter what we do.

One of the first things we did was recreating it. I just attempted it myself and the issue persists. I tried with edge tool, I tried with the clipper. I even rather keeping it solid as a square. All from scratch. Theres some black magic at work here... Ive only gotten four hours of sleep because I have been bashing this wall into pieces and it just will not give in. It consists of 2 brushes.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://jkhub.org/index.php?s=2f5dbdb3e12980c4bf35d1065069e9f3&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=6861&p=99267&md5check=ecba2a4d3033837a868480b442547b35&isRte=1,WBVWiKOfFl,true,false,D5DVc0Qv1OM'); //]]></script>shot0041.jpg&&0

shot0042.jpg

shot0043.jpg

that fucking malloc error ...

Hmm maybe use diffrent texture or place a patch on it with the same shape?

or maybe the shader of the texture (If it has one) is messed up :/

that fucking malloc error ...

Hmm maybe use diffrent texture or place a patch on it with the same shape?

or maybe the shader of the texture (If it has one) is messed up :/

Well the thing is that there is an exact replica of the same brush on the right side and that one works fine :S 

I'm not really sure what's going on there. I've incurred into similar bugs (brushes going trasparent, if not completely absent or passable) mostly when I rotated them to strange angles. I noticed that most of the times making them detail brushes helps. And -lomem shouldn't return a fullbright map. It really is strange.

About those brushes, the only solution that comes to my mind is to turn them into a model (you can easily do it with Yzmo's .map to .ase converter: http://jkhub.org/files/file/950-map-to-ase-converter-utility/ - just be careful with texture stretch, the converter seems to be very playful about it) and clip them with caulk or any solid invisible shader. Otherwise you could try and make them with patches.

If you're able to compile it using the 1.5 compiler and it appears fine ingame, why don't you just use that?

Because it doesnt come out fine. Its as if the map is fullbright/lacks proper lighting.

I managed to just make the width of the brushes bigger and that basically hides the transparency, but i dont think that necessarily solves it, if that makes sense.

Im running a final compile now on ydnars >2gb ram q3map2 and its been 5 hours with half the time being stuck on:

"-- IlluminateRawLightmap --

The Q3MapGUI says its Compiling Light and my ram usage is at 3.5 gb along with 100% CPU usage so clearly something is running... Right? Or should I consider terminating it...

Ya it sounds impossible to figure out just without having the map and messing with it. However, if you're using a lomem compile, your map is either super large with no other options or it's poorly optimized.

I would put the following in your world spawn and get rid of lomem. One more thing, I never know if the commands need an underscore or not so I usually enter them all twice since if you don't enter it correctly it does nothing but it doesn't negatively affect anything.

See if you can get the compile down to a time more reasonable. Also I wouldn't be using bounce or anything like that.

Worldspawn Information

lightmapscale 8
blocksize 0
chopsize 0

_blocksize 0

_chopsize 0

_lightmapscale 8

Did a build with samples 3, bounce 8, light fast and patchshadows, went wonderful. Ive uploadd the map to JKHub, just waiting for approval :D Will be titled {JoF}Temple so check it out! Thanks for the help everyone.

Glad to hear that :)

Cant upload the map because there is a glitch like that is annoying as hell ...

Aldro Koon likes this