Rey's Staff (Work In Progress)

:lol:.. What I meant was, keep it high-res enough so that it has the best detail, the game can handle. @@Darth Martyr achieved it with the hilt of Kylo Ren's lightsaber. So I'm just saying that if the quality of Rey's staff can match that quality, then there isn't a problem and everyone's a winner!  ^_^

"best the game can handle" is vague.  As I said, there is a defined limit, but you don't want to be close to that.  You have to account for the fact that whatever you're making will be rendered along dozens of other meshes in the game.  Can you imagine the performance issues if you were trying to run a server full of nothing but ~max poly'd characters and weapons?

Someone clearly doesn't understand the engine limitations, nor the real nitty-gritty bits of modeling.  This old engine will shit the bed if models are not kept to certain restrictions.  More so, the one reason to maintain a low-res/high-detail balance is that while 1 model being rendered in game at the maximum detail may be fine, for every additional instance of that model or a similarly high-detail one, the game engine is going to lag and drop frames like a military cadet with leprosy.

Well, I'm not here to understand limitations in game modelling. I'm here to download good models  :P, seeing as how JK3Files.net is no longer active.

Guys, you're acting like optimizing models is unheard of. Most of the models that you love and adore that people have made over the years abide by these restrictions. It's an old game. You simply shouldn't make models 99999 verts and polys, or else the game will work too hard. We're talking FPS drops, and potentially crashes. This has happened with models that aren't optimized. You can still have a great looking model and it be perfectly optimized. look at any of @@AshuraDX's models or @@DT85's models. Great examples.

If you want modern quality models and graphics, you are playing the wrong game.

Daedra, eezstreet, Lancelot and 2 others like this

"Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 will never be able to compare with the Win 98 or even XP"

I beg to differ, but hey.. Each to their own. It takes all sorts' I s'pose. So yeah, if you wanna work with an ancient system, then by all means.. Go ahead. I think I'll stick with Windows 10, personally.

I not gonna knock the N64.. Especially 'Shadows of the Empire'. I had both of those and my favourite part of the game was always the first Hoth mission and then Echo Base. Would still love to see the likes of Dash Rendar and Kyle Katarn make it into a Star Wars movie.

Will repeat until you try this on your own: "Try to open: Google Chrome, Adobe PDF, Windows Explorer, Notepad and some sort of a Video/Music player (all at the same time), and enjoy the "might and magic" of idiotic OS's" :) :)  

And let's keep on the topic of @@Lancelot because he really puts a lot of time and effort to bring us Rey's stuff from TFA.

RevanKnight and Lancelot like this

Here's my low-poly version. It's, of course, a much more reduced version of what I initially intended. I think (and hope) that the model itself is finally finished.

stff05_zpsmi3pkxtv.jpg

&&0

can you get me a higher res picture of that ? Or the model in .obj or .fbx if you can ?  I'll check it for anything that sticks out and could be optimised

once that's done you'll want to take a look at smoothing/ hard edges

a video on that - he shows it near the end (only skipped through that video and don't use blender)

Darth Sion, Bek and DT85 like this
  • 2 months later...

Looks great but still waaaaay too many tris. Also, here's a tip for the....well....tip:

mhbwxd.jpg

Do this on areas that are small, like the tip of a weapon for example. You'll still get a good look, but with less tris. Also, do not model with one continuous cylinder as that will also chew up tris.

Lancelot, Darth Sion and AshuraDX like this

@@DT85 @@AshuraDX

Thanks for the advises, guys. I'm trying my best to reduce what needs to be reduced while still preserving what's necessary.

And I learned not to loose myself in many details, because much of it can be achieved with good texture work.

That's what killed my previous model. I was losing myself in so many details that the of tris-counts and face-counts were exploding.

As I said, there is still much work to do. The recent version of this model is pretty new, so it will take some time to get satisfying results.

Also, take one of those models with the high details and tri counts, and spawn it ingame... you will notice that the minor details literally cannot even be seen. I learned that by trial and error. Takes a bit of problem solving, but you wind up with the best results by a bit of trial and error and calculating a proper relationship between tri count and texturing. Staff looks nice though man. My theory is she ends up weilding a saber pike.

Well... tbh...

You should have modeled it all out of one cylinder with like 8-10 sides. If you look inside your model you will see hidden and wasted polys because its a few pieces stuck together I believe as opposed to one flowing piece. Looks more like an unreal weapon as opposed to jka. But... what you can do... is finish it, then use it to render high res shadow maps to apply to a lower poly more cleaned up cylinder that the engine will love you for =)

It will help you immensely on the unwrapping process as well.

Edit: nah, theres not enough fine detail there to need to render out any maps from it. From a community standpoint, I say finish it up, see what she looks like... from a personal standpoint...

Start over =(

But thats why we nitpick, because maybe you will learn from your mistakes and be greatful in the long run for being forced to do it right.

Sorry for hijacking

Getting there, certainly in the right direction. Here's another tip (that doesn't involve the tip this time...:P) for tri reduction:

v2shur.jpg

The right example is just to show that it's seperate, don't actually move the mesh like this. :P