JKA doesn't work on W10

Go to solution Solved by lang_french,

Lang_French, par défaut dans Windows 10 est activé le "démarrage rapide",qui "permet d'enregistrer l'état de votre système lors de l'arrêt de l'ordinateur et permettre ainsi un redémarrage beaucoup plus rapide".

En gros, c'est une sorte de "pseudo veille" (même si les disques durs sont arrêtés et que le courant ne circule plus).

Pour que les mises à jour soit vraiment appliquées, il ne faut donc pas éteindre l'ordinateur mais bel et bien utiliser la fonction "Redémarrer" qui elle est un véritable redémarrage complet.
Fais-le et ensuite retente de lancer le jeu.

D'accord, en fait c'était la "veille prolongée" de W7 que j'appréciais particulièrement (j'ai cru qu'elle avait disparue). Toutefois, j'ai fait Redémarrer souvent, parfois automatiquement. Rien n'y fait.

I have no words for this. Today, I've done a second, clean installation of JKA outside of Program Files - and, behold, jamp works flawlessly! I run jasp, and it works perfectly as well. Then I exit, run jamp, and get the exact same fucking CTD as before. Like - what the hell could even cause this?? It makes no sense, at least for me.

I made this too, do not install it in Program Files but in another way. Bad luck for me, it doesn't run as well.

Its a fault of the laptop and switchable graphics.

OpenJK doesn't display support the windows startup console no.  But its still logged if there was a normal error.  The problem here is not with OpenJK unfortunately but your laptop running on crappy integrated graphics!

I don't think (nor understand) the problems are from my laptop or integrated graphics, because Jedi Outcast, Battlefront II, KOTOR (I-II) are running flawlessly. It is a particular issue with exlusively Jedi Academy.

I have no words for this. Today, I've done a second, clean installation of JKA outside of Program Files - and, behold, jamp works flawlessly! I run jasp, and it works perfectly as well. Then I exit, run jamp, and get the exact same fucking CTD as before. Like - what the hell could even cause this?? It makes no sense, at least for me.

That makes me think it's some sort of autogenerated config file screwing something up.

JKG Developer

What I do know is that jamp and jasp both have issues when you have GL extensions string list being too big.  This can cause a crash on startup and its not fixable except in the driver, which nvidia and amd both have workarounds for.  Not sure if intel does.  This crash is corrected in OpenJK but the GPU being used is out of our control and has to do with your system if that is still happening.  Would need to see the output of the jamp console or jasp console when you are able to get to the menu I guess to compare.  And above you said "I see, but ClanFJA told (in French) it could make the game running without problem even with heavy maps. In the console, it writes that it is Microsoft and not Intel or Nvidia which is used as graphics loader (at least, with OpenJK, because we can't even see the console in "classic" JKA SP and MP, or too fast)"  when it is a Microsoft driver there WILL be issues for OpenGL games, and the ones you have listed are not OpenGL games except Outcast which is odd.

@@lang_french

Damn...I have a horrible feeling nobody on the forums will be able to help, just as I had to figure out the blackscreen issue I was having with JKA awhile ago and I figured it out myself...somehow...I hope you end up figuring it out.

It sounds bad... I don't have many motivation (and time) to search by myself a solution, with no ways to follow. Nor computer neither game, so what's the problem? Unknown. Great.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I must find the solution by myself, but there is a fact after I had an idea:

As it run with the same engine (Quake III with .pk3 files), I said "What if I install Medal of Honor: Allied Assault"? So it installs without problem and when I want to launch it... same thing than Jedi Academy! Nothing happens after clicking on "Play". And even with the add-on Breakthrough.

So, it seems there is a problem with Quake engine more than JKA, even all runs fine with JO. I don't know if it could help, but after all...

JK2 uses Quake Engine though...

I know, but it could be the exception (it didn't work on my friend's PC which is on W10 too).

Does ioquake3 work?

I don't know, when I click on one it opens a black and white console (like with .bat files, not console of JK) which tells me to install Quake: Arena, and the other misses a SLD.dll file to run properly...

Does ioquake3 work?

Smoo likes this

No, in fact it is not a problem with the engine but it is a problem with your graphics stack with something on your laptop like I said previously.  Unfortunately it is common for nvidia, amd and intel to provide shit support for OpenGL especially on older graphics cards and laptops.  The Microsoft driver is not supportive of real OpenGL unfortunately, which is being used causing issue.  MOH isn't even using SDL, which then disproves the theory that SDL is at fault here.  It is highly, laughably implausible that JO works but JKA or MOH don't or even Q3.

What link are you using to download ioquake3?  It comes with SDL in the zip file downloaded.  ioquake3 requires quake 3, it doesn't run separately either.

http://ioquake3.org/get-it/

These are the files you should be downloading and installing

1. http://ioquake3.org/files/1.36/installer/ioquake3-1.36-3.1.x86.exe  You need either tell it to install to quake 3's directory OR copy quake3's pak0.pk3 to the directory that it gets installed to.

2. http://ioquake3.org/files/1.36/data/ioquake3-q3a-1.32-1.x86.exe This is only necessary if you install ioquake3 to a separate directory from quake3. (You should make sure it is set to same install folder as step 1 if not)

3. See below, extract files in the zip for x86 Windows to the folder #1 and #2 are installed to.

After using any of these installers you should upgrade to a test build 

• Solution

I... I... I don't... DAFUQ?

Well, I just re-installed OpenJK and the game runs without bug, although it didn't before. I prefer to not trying to understand. Even with old saves and mods/maps, no problem at all.

But first of all, I want to thank you VERY, VERY, VERY MUCH for the time you gave in this thread (4 pages!), trying to find a solution and other ways. You were very patient without leaving, it was really nice! Well, it doesn't fix the bug with MOH but it is not as important as JKA (mods, maps and all in this SW game).

I mark the topic solved for me. Hope it will work with my friend's games.

Raz0r and Futuza like this