Custom Model question

Maui
Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

Heya, so I'm wondering... is it possible to show people a different default model if they haven't downloaded your model?

Say you make yourself a skin and use it. But people will see it as kyle, is it possible to change that to a different model?

If so, how please?

I did this for someone a while back.

You essentially open up whatever model you'd want people to see (shadowtrooper, for example) and re-parent all of your new model's pieces to it, then fix the skin files so all of the new pieces are *off in default/team skins, and throw in a new skin file with all of the new pieces on and originals *off.

If you named that particular skin file Bossk, you'd use it with /model shadowtrooper/bossk.

It's not hard, but it might be time-consuming to rename the new meshes. xd

As for vertices without UV coords... You might have to unwrap the head mesh again? Or make sure it's not in edit mode...?

Maui likes this
  • Solution

The UV issue is usually due to loose vertices, which can have UV coordinates in GLM files but those are lost upon import into blender, which only saves them per polygon.

I think this can be fixed by selecting and hiding all faces in edit mode, which should leave the loose vertices visible for you to delete.

Maui likes this

But people will see it as kyle, is it possible to change that to a different model?

If so, how please?

You can override Kyle simply by creating a new playermodel and calling its models/players/ folder "kyle". That's the only way to change it currently, and it's not very useful, as it will simply make everyone that model instead of Kyle.

The default playermodel for an unknown skin in MP is determined in the game's code to be Kyle, so to change that, you would need to rewrite that part of the game, essentially.

This is something I've often thought about. For example, instead of seeing Kyles, we could have a randomise script run and present a random skin from the user's library. However, to match the sex a rewrite of the server code would be needed as well to convey the playermodel's gender from client to server, and server to client.

In one word, if you're just starting out, don't go there. It's very complicated. Can be done -- nothing's impossible -- but it would require a lot of work, and a new binary distribution. Which doesn't make it very practical, even if achieved -- unless it was adapted into a large-scale and widely distributed project, such as OpenJK.