Problem with blinking

Hey Guys, I'm still very new to modding, and my knowledge of 3ds max is minimal, so forgive the noobish question. I'm working on a head mod, but during the cutscenes when he blinks his eyelids only close half way :(

I know I'm being super nitpicky, but it's something that kind of bothers me. everything else works great, just that one detail. not sure what I did wrong, but I'm positive I did something. If anybody's had this problem before I could use some help.

Thanks!

Hey Guys, I'm still very new to modding, and my knowledge of 3ds max is minimal, so forgive the noobish question. I'm working on a head mod, but during the cutscenes when he blinks his eyelids only close half way :(

I know I'm being super nitpicky, but it's something that kind of bothers me. everything else works great, just that one detail. not sure what I did wrong, but I'm positive I did something. If anybody's had this problem before I could use some help.

Thanks!

You need to weight better the head. :) rig to ceyebrows bone the vertex of the front, and use leye and reye bones for rig the respective eyeballs :) leye and reye bones control the eye blink movement. :) they stretch the textures and rotate, creating the closing effects. rig is 100% weight to leye for left eye, and reye for right eye. for eyes edges , instead, you need to rig 50% cranium 50% leye for left eye and 50 cra 50 reye for righteye. :)

so, the facial skin of eyes edge need a 50-50 rig, instead the eyeballs meshes need 100% rig with eyes.

You need to weight better the head. :) rig to ceyebrows bone the vertex of the front, and use leye and reye bones for rig the respective eyeballs :) leye and reye bones control the eye blink movement. :) they stretch the textures and rotate, creating the closing effects. rig is 100% weight to leye for left eye, and reye for right eye. for eyes edges , instead, you need to rig 50% cranium 50% leye for left eye and 50 cra 50 reye for righteye. :)

so, the facial skin of eyes edge need a 50-50 rig, instead the eyeballs meshes need 100% rig with eyes.

Thanks for the help! I'll try doing this tonight :)

Asgarath83 likes this

You welcome, let me know if you got success :)

So I've been trying to figure out the weight tool. when I looked at the weights on the head, it was 100% on cranium. When I try to add 50% to the eye bones the exporter says there are too many vertical 5>4. I've changed a couple of things but nothing seems to give me the desired effect :(

The problem of course is probably that I have no idea what I'm doing lol :P

You've been a big help with, but is there a step by step tutorial for this kind of thing?

So I've been trying to figure out the weight tool. when I looked at the weights on the head, it was 100% on cranium. When I try to add 50% to the eye bones the exporter says there are too many vertical 5>4. I've changed a couple of things but nothing seems to give me the desired effect :(

The problem of course is probably that I have no idea what I'm doing lol :P

You've been a big help with, but is there a step by step tutorial for this kind of thing?

well i use 3d max for rigging. what kind or programm are you using?

there are some tutorial but there is not a step by step tutorial of rigging because is a question of methodic. you need to learn HOW rig a model. is not sufficient to assign a mesh to a bones at 100% . i not know anything about blender rigging, my field is 3d max. i not use other for rigging.

for learn how rig a model there are the @@Psyk0Sith tutorial for the basic. i learn in that mode.

http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tuts.html

in my case i simply followed this:

http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tutorials/skin_modifier.htm

well i use 3d max for rigging. what kind or programm are you using?

there are some tutorial but there is not a step by step tutorial of rigging because is a question of methodic. you need to learn HOW rig a model. is not sufficient to assign a mesh to a bones at 100% . i not know anything about blender rigging, my field is 3d max. i not use other for rigging.

for learn how rig a model there are the @@Psyk0Sith tutorial for the basic. i learn in that mode.

http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tuts.html

in my case i simply followed this:

http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tutorials/skin_modifier.htm

Thanks for the links, I use 3ds max too. they helped a lot!

so I did what you said, split the weight between the cranium and the eye 50-50, but it didn't help :(

Still have no idea what's going on with this :(

Thanks for the links, I use 3ds max too. they helped a lot!

so I did what you said, split the weight between the cranium and the eye 50-50, but it didn't help :(

Still have no idea what's going on with this :(

Can you show screenshots of troubles and of your actual rigging?

it's possible that the head is wrong placed, you know? if leye and reye bones are not exactly on the coordinates of the eyes mesh, the facial animation will be imperfect. :\ 

I'll have to echo what Asgarath said, if the face is not in the correct spot you'll have some glitches. The range of motion for the face bones is quite limited. It's best to line up your character with a character from the game so you know where joints/features should go.

Also, check out these vids from Paul Greveson on how to use the skin modifier:

Asgarath83 likes this