Fallout 3/NV HUD for JKA--Released

Hi,

I have recently started playing again after years of absence. Upon my return, I discovered JK3Files was no longer running, and was told that JKHub was, well, the new modding hub. Wanting to mod again, and having also played New Vegas in the last few weeks, I thought "Hey! Why not make a Fallout HUD!"

Anyhow, the HUD, while it could still be tweaked, is essentially done. So, I was wondering if anyone was interested in such a mod, if I would be allowed to upload it (as I obviously do not hold copyrights to the Fallout franchise), and, of course, if anyone had suggestions to improve it!

HP is HP; CND is Shield; AP is FP; FST/MED/STR is Saber Styles and Ammo is -/

I am also considering making differently colored versions, among which, one with a default JKA HUD color scheme.

Oh, and nice to meet you all.

shot0039.jpg

Ping, DT., Stoiss and 2 others like this

How do the hp/ammo/... bars work? Do big chunks turn transparent or do individual pieces disappear? Because the latter can be achieved with some clever shader trickery; I'd be happy to help with that if need be.

It's your typical four-block HUD. The shield bars overlap to ensure there's no seam, and I didn't put any ammo bar, but otherwise, it's rather run-of-the-mill, as can be seen below. I'd be happy to try your solution, if you can spare the time.

shot0041c.jpg

Disregard what I said; I did some further experiments and it doesn't quite work.

The idea is to have a gradient in your texture alpha channel; then that gets multiplied by 0 to 1 depending on how faded out the piece is. Then you use an alpha function (say GE128) to only display parts with high alpha. But what you want is adding 0 to 1, not multiplying by it; as it stands, the best you can get is the bars being invisible for the first 50% of the tick, then build up linearly over the last 50%.

(fwiw: the shader is something like

gfx/hud/force_tic_1
{
	{
		map gfx/hud/force_tic_1_gradient
		alphaFunc GE128
		alphaGen vertex
	}
}
with a texture that goes from 100% alpha to 50%.)