What version of Linux ?

Hello !

I would like to install Linux and there are lots of versions.

I tested Ubuntu in School but I did not like the desktop. I prefer desktops which seems more like Windows.

I saw Linux Mint and it seems to be nice.

There are several Linux Mint versions (Rafaela, Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, ...)

What are the real difference between them ?

There are lots of others versions of Linux (Mageia, Debian...). Is there one version which could be more adapted to me ?

I will use it for a desktop use (folders, word and excel, photos, videos, internet, maybe gaming, ...).

Even I will try the command line, I want to have a graphical access to all options.

If you want to know my level, I am a totally noob with Linux, but I can learn quickly.

Thank you

Smoo likes this

The differences in those Linux Mint versions are referring to what is called a "Desktop Environment", which is essentially what your UI might look like.

There's a lot of them to choose from, such as KDE, GNOME, or XFCE, to name a few. I'm personally quite fond of Ubuntu MATE, as well as Mint Cinnamon, and they both tend to be my go to suggestions for anybody looking to get into Linux for the first time. Arch is nice for somebody who is already experienced with Linux, but you need to be well familiar with command line before even attempting it.

Clan FJA likes this

I would highly recommend Xubuntu / something with XFCE. It's basically Ubuntu (which is basically Debian with bloat) but performs and looks better.

I personally switched to full-time Linux on my desktop after using Xubuntu for the past few years on laptops.

Clan FJA likes this

thanks

For example, with Ubuntu, the buttons bar (Files, Edit, Tools, ...) of the windows are on top of the desktop. I don't want that.

I prefer a desktop like Microsoft, where the buttons bar is on the window of the application.

I watched some screenshot of XFCE. I don't think I will like it for a first time with GNU/Linux.

It's difficult to see differences between the versions just from screenshots.

http://www.linuxmint.com/screenshots.php

They all looks to be the same with just some color changes... Oooh wait, the "start" button doesn't open the same panel. Linux Mint Mate start panel seems more like Windows.

It's strange because the XFCE edition of linux mint doesn't look like other XFCE screenshots on other websites... (there are often a shortcut floating bar like on Mac)

It seems that Debian is the source of Ubuntu and Mint. Shouldn't be better to take Debian ? (quick security fix ?)

For example, with Linux mint, a security fix on Debian must be reporting on Ubuntu and then on Mint. It takes longer, doesn't it ?

What are advantages and disadvantages ?

Debian typically has severely outdated packages, but that's also what makes it more stable...if you don't mind doing nothing.

The reason XFCE (and other DEs) look so different in every screenshot is because it's all incredibly customisable. Latest Xubuntu even has preset panel configurations to mimic Windows. There are also identical window manager (xfwm) themes.

Clan FJA likes this

The reason XFCE (and other DEs) look so different in every screenshot is because it's all incredibly customisable. Latest Xubuntu even has preset panel configurations to mimic Windows. There are also identical window manager (xfwm) themes.

Does the customisation come from the system/settings panel or do I need to download mods ?

Has Ubuntu/Xubuntu always the tweak with Amazon ?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/shuttleworth-defends-ubuntu-linux-integrating-amazon/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2840401/ubuntus-unity-8-desktop-removes-the-amazon-search-spyware.html

Even I must install some private codecs and other, Ubuntu is running by a firm and fatally, they need money. Even we can trust them now, do we will be able to continue trust them in 5 or 10 years ?

Even Mint is built from Ubuntu, it is made by a community.

Ah ok !

i thought Xubuntu and Lubuntu were made by Canonical. i didn't know they were forks made by communities :winkthumb:

Just one question about the password to encrypt the /home folder. If I must re-install the same or another Linux version, will it be able to read again the encrypted /home ?

Do I lose my stuff ?

PS : oh, love it ! http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/Lubuntu+XP+three+flavors?content=162880

I tested Linux Mint Cinnamon and Xubuntu with Live CD. I don't know if I have a limited access to setups with Live CD but Xubuntu's desktop did not seemed to be very customisable. I have changed colors and icons of the bar, but I could not change put the bar on the bottom. I had only the choice between top and left (vertical). I was forced to use the "panel switch" and choose the "Redmont" desktop to have the main bar on the bottom. However, the Start menu was changed too.

To active the quick launcher, I had to choose the "mac" desktop. I did not find how to activate it myself with the "modern Xubuntu" desktop.

Seems that the personnalisation come from base or downloaded extensions (desktops, themes)...

About drivers, when I ran Linux Mint with Live CD, I had a message "Can not use hardware for graphics. Software mode activated. It can use more power" or Something like this. I guess that Linux Mint Live had not the appropriate driver for the graphic card (and I had not internet to get the driver). Will the problem continue with a full installation or is it just a bug of the Live CD ?

I tested Mint Cinnamon and Xubuntu, but I have no sound. With Xubuntu, I have no sound panel at all in the setups. With Mint, I have a sound panel with my sound card which is recognized but I have no sound... (HP B&O sound card).

More over, with Cinnamon, it runs with "software rendering". There is a problem with the graphic driver and I will replace it with Mate. But first I must fix the sound problem. I don't know where is the problem : the sound is enable, is not on 0, the card is displayed in the sound panel, but there is no sound !

Edit : Moreover, when I close the laptop, Linux goes in sleep mode, but when I open it again, the screen is black. I can press every button (even power button), there is nothing. I must reboot the computer.

I will no more use Linux Mint and other Ubuntu based OS... :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
Moreover, when I close the laptop, Linux goes in sleep mode, but when I open it again, the screen is black. I can press every button (even power button), there is nothing. I must reboot the computer.

I will no more use Linux Mint and other Ubuntu based OS... :angry:

This is a reoccurring issue in all Linux distros based on your computer's hardware and setup. My recommendation is to disable hibernate, and make the computer simply fall asleep instead. If you notice the battery running low, save your work. You should get into the habit of saving your work regularly, anyway.

Linux is great, but it's made to run on all sorts of computers -- you have to bear that in mind. Unlike Mac OS X or even Windows, which are designed to work with only certain types and specifications of computers. So yes, there will always be some hardware/software things to sort out and compromises to be made in a first-time setup.

But you're trading that for freedom in use, actually useful-for-work software, and a long digital life.

And in line with the topic, my personal recommendation is Ubuntu for beginners (out-of-the-box), Fedora for advanced balance (between visual beauty and advanced practical use), and Arch for experienced Linux guys interested in building their own system. I actually started on Arch. That was a mistake. You can build it, but to keep it running steady, you have to know about the structure of Linux and have considerable experience with the various distros first.

Smoo likes this

That sounds like incompatible/unsupported hardware (or missing drivers) -- which is rare indeed in Linux. What graphics card and sound card do you have? If it's Intel, have you tried installing the MESA driver?

Personally I've never encountered audio trouble with Linux -- with any distro at all. But if it is indeed unsupported hardware, then you may have trouble getting it running with all distros of Linux -- no matter which one you try... :/

I would look for open source drivers for your hardware to substitute your current ones for the graphics card and the sound card. See if there is a known solution for your hardware in the Linux community.

Or if you give me specs, I may be able to recommend a solution to try.

Here's detailed documentation on getting Intel graphics cards to work with Linux:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics

Generally all you need to do is install the package "xf86-video-intel" (it may be called by a slightly different name depending on which distro you're using).

You can also try the official graphics driver installer on Intel's website for Ubuntu (or Fedora):

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

To get the power of both of your graphics cards on Linux (you would only really need this for gaming), you'll need a driver called "bumblebee" and set it up so that you can tell certain apps/games to run using your NVIDIA card instead of the Intel one for 3D rendering.

As for the audio, make sure that it's not simply muted in the setup/settings. What does sending the command "aplay -l" in the Terminal give you?

Raz0r likes this

And in line with the topic, my personal recommendation is Ubuntu for beginners (out-of-the-box), Fedora for advanced balance (between visual beauty and advanced practical use), and Arch for experienced Linux guys interested in building their own system. I actually started on Arch. That was a mistake. You can build it, but to keep it running steady, you have to know about the structure of Linux and have considerable experience with the various distros first.

Manjaro is based on Arch, I quite like it.