Donation Time!

therfiles

Posted Image

We gotta keep the lights on
Hello everyone! We're hoping that you are enjoying JKHub: both as a resource that hosts over 2,184 files (which have been downloaded a collective 432,543 times) and as an active place to discuss this game that we all love and cherish (over 2,021 members discuss their thoughts in a collective 85,796 posts!). This year, JKHub turned three years old (aren't we so cute)! That's three years of modding, gaming, and discussion all facilitated by our site. Additionally, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy turned 12 this year (yeah we forgot to sing happy birthday) and we envision many more years of a strong community dedicated to keeping the fun and excitement of this timeless game alive! We do this through our many services, like tutorials, our wiki, and our JKHub network.

How do we pay for all of these fancy gadgets?
First off, let's talk about what we don't do. JKHub does not run ads. We want to keep the experience at JKHub as clean and as uninterrupted for you guys as possible. But when we say no to advertisers, we have to find other ways to make money. This is where your generous donations come in.

Financial breakdown
Here is a full breakdown of all the money JKHub will need for this period:
  • XenForo license: $200. That's the forum software we hope to upgrade to this next year.
  • Hosting: $140. We rely on Caelum's hosting plan to provide reliable and affordable hosting for a site of our size and traffic.
  • Dropbox: $99. We need to dish out the dough in order to keep our files online through the Dropbox online storage system.
  • XF mods: $70. There are a couple custom things we'd like to do in the future. This is where that kicks in!
  • Domain: $10. This makes sure everyone knows where we are: JKHub.org
Too many numbers; didn't read:
That all comes up to around $519. We currently have $190 in our savings, thanks to the generous donations of our members (shout out to @Nozyspy). That means we need about $330 more to survive the next year. By the way: that's $50 less than last year! We try to keep these costs down so the burden gets lighter every year.

If we don't get the donations, we may have to start cutting some of our services or look for *big gulp* advertisers to help pay our bills. We don't want to, but that really is our only option as a non-profit site.

We have received $347.65 worth of donations so far (out of our $330 campaign).
105%
105%

So...please donate!
The button below will take you to our donation FAQ page, which is also where you can donate. Again, we try to handle donations as transparently as possible, so if you have any further questions, please post below or PM any one of the staff members. Thanks for your time and consideration, and we appreciate your membership and interest in JKHub!

Posted Image

In other news
Our editor @Cerez is stepping down. We thank Cerez for serving with us, and please join us in wishing Cerez well! :D

Click here to view the article

As long as people donate, ads will never be necessary. We've always received a surplus of donations in the past, I don't see that changing this year.

And I will make sure that continues this year, I just need a bit of time. No need for ads......

Question: Why XenForo?

Apparently the free forums are all a bit shit, so we need another solution. Currently we're using IP.Board, but XenForo is better in some way as determined by people who know more about this than me.

Personally I'd prefer a custom-written website, but that would take forever.

Smoo likes this