Curve subdivisions don't match up

Go to solution Solved by Boothand,

Hi.

You know when using patch meshes to create curves, as you adjust the vertices and tangents, subdivisions are generated. Some positions of those vertices trick GtkRadiant into thinking no more geometry is needed, however this makes it not match up with the neighbouring patches. There is really only one correct position for the tangents here, and wondering if any of you know a way to counter this problem? This is GtkRadiant 1.5.

@@Langerd, @@Szico VII

Pictures to illustrate the issue:

Screenshot%202015-09-15%2016.19.29.png?d

Screenshot%202015-09-15%2016.26.42.png?d

The second picture here shows the consequences of the misalignment.

Huh. Then Radiant version does matter... It is however an issue you can also get in 1.4, and thus presumably 1.6; I assume in that case it also happens ingame? Man, it's been forever since I did real mapping... I need to get back to it and learn more about the details like this.

Huh. Then Radiant version does matter... It is however an issue you can also get in 1.4, and thus presumably 1.6; I assume in that case it also happens ingame? Man, it's been forever since I did real mapping... I need to get back to it and learn more about the details like this.

In-game it all looks correct. It's just the display in GtkRadiant that doesn't merge these points.

Hi.

You know when using patch meshes to create curves, as you adjust the vertices and tangents, subdivisions are generated. Some positions of those vertices trick GtkRadiant into thinking no more geometry is needed, however this makes it not match up with the neighbouring patches. There is really only one correct position for the tangents here, and wondering if any of you know a way to counter this problem? This is GtkRadiant 1.5.

@@Langerd, @@Szico VII

Pictures to illustrate the issue:

Screenshot%202015-09-15%2016.19.29.png?d

Screenshot%202015-09-15%2016.26.42.png?d

The second picture here shows the consequences of the misalignment.

In-game it all looks correct. It's just the display in GtkRadiant that doesn't merge these points.

About that issue... I had this problem once too. The patches works very strange because sometimes You dont see this kind of hole in the Gtkradiant but after compile You see the hole in the game. Sometimes it is 180 degrees situation...

There is no chance for this sry :/ Maybe there is an option in the compiler for this .

And i think patches have sort of Lod function. When i made the circle window using the cilnder it looks nice in the game. BUT not form far distance. The shape of it is angular.

They act very random :/

I am making the arches in these places with holes :) It can make your corridor more pleasant and nicer and also it will fix this issue

Yes, patches have Levels of Detail, you can increase the LOD distance with r_lodscale and r_lodCurveError. r_lodbias only works on models though, and you can use it to force a specific LOD regardless of distance.

This specific error is caused because the patch has a lower level of precision that might not allow to calculate the curve exactly as the others around. I think.