JKHub Tweaks

So I have heard that JKHub will be getting some upgrades in future, however the actual design of the site currently is really pretty good, it could just do with some visual tweaks rather than a complete redesign to make it a little slicker.

I was directed towards this forum and would like to offer some suggestions on how that could be done, though of course as a relative newcomer here i don't want to step on anyone's toes who may already be involved with this.

I gained a fair amount of experience when i helped design the previous site for the guild that i am in and feel i can offer some suggestions based on what i learned about the layout and aesthetics of a website like this, but rather than describe them to you i will post a picture from some HTML kitbashing i did using the Internet Explorer F12 DOM feature.

The only other change not shown on the screenshot here would be to have a 'Latest Posts' box and Picture of the Day'on the right hand side. I should also point out one small thing i changed was to have a thumbnail of the mod in question in the latest files list instead of the user avatar, as this helps encourage peoples curiosity to check them out!

It would be relatively easy to make these changes as they are fairly minor but i feel make the site look even nicer!

I hope you like it! It may be a little rough around the edges!

JKHub%20Tweaks_zpswovaj2go.jpg

Way too much whitespace for my liking. I want content, not padding.

Padding isn't so bad, its like meat on the bones. :P

What precisely were you referring to, the news posts or just generally? One thing you could do would be to move the poll over to the left and add a 'latest posts' box, then move the 'latest files' box further up on the right and increase the featured files to 3 so you could also cycle through featuring older files as well as new ones. Thats what i did on JKFiles when we no longer had enough brilliant files coming in every week to fill up 4 featured slots. It worked quite well because it gave older files some more limelight.

Looks nice but could use some work.

Yeah, i'm no expert with HTML, its just to demonstrate some simple changes you could make to spruce it up without having to spend loads of time doing a full redesign.

I think it would look best if the white background was removed entirely or replaced by something very translucent in the background

Something like these?

JKHub%20Tweaks%202_zps4zicqxia.jpg

JKHub%20Tweaks%203_zpskwboaswe.jpg

Its not really practical to remove the white background entirely because of the lack of text clarity over the background image.

Minor suggestion - for any potential update, could we change the icons for 'Featured' and 'Latest' downloads to screenshots from the respective mod's download page, rather than the uploader's profile picture? Like we have for the 'Latest Files' section when viewing it via the forums.

Minor suggestion - for any potential update, could we change the icons for 'Featured' and 'Latest' downloads to screenshots from the respective mod's download page, rather than the uploader's profile picture? Like we have for the 'Latest Files' section when viewing it via the forums.

Yeah i suggested that above too, and preferably larger thumbnails, like 80x80px, it helps draw people sinterest to what the file is more than just a name on its own.

3-column grid is kinda old nowadays :)

True, but in terms of practicality it does allow much more content to be featured on the front page, it also means you dont have to click through multiple pages to find an item.

The opposite extreme is JKFiles front page, which was extremely efficient at displaying content, but not much in the looks department!

I like the 3 column grid. Replace the featured and latest files sections with ladder and tournament related info, e.g. top3 players in the 1v1 ladder and top3 finishers in the latest tournament, and put the latest/featured files somewhere further down below, either on the left or right side, and this layout has potential.

NAB622 likes this

Integrating the logo into the center of the navigation bar on large screens would save additional space. Messenger, Notifications & Sign Out could conceivably be integrated in the account dropdown.

One has to be careful not to have a site that is too cramped. As well as that, large vibrant images and lots of transparencies are important parts of that 'modern' look.

I like the 3 column grid. Replace the featured and latest files sections with ladder and tournament related info, e.g. top3 players in the 1v1 ladder and top3 finishers in the latest tournament, and put the latest/featured files somewhere further down below, either on the left or right side, and this layout has potential.

JKHub seems primarily to be a modding and file hosting site, with the competitive community as an additional part, it makes more sense to keep the design close to the sites roots. There are issues with what you suggested, for starters, does JKHub have its own organized tournaments and ladders? If not then who's tourneys and ladders exactly would you feature on the front page? Another issue is having to keep this information updated, as it would need to be entered manually no doubt.

I believe it would be more practical for such things to have their own dedicated 'Competitive Play' page where all the relevent information can be kept in one easy to find place.

Could you try to place some kind of slogan after the logo? Something like "The number one place for Jedi Academy" or something just to see how that would look like

I will give that a go tomorrow for you! Though i am dubious as to whether that would look a little odd or not.

afi likes this
JKHub seems primarily to be a modding and file hosting site, with the competitive community as an additional part, it makes more sense to keep the design close to the sites roots. There are issues with what you suggested, for starters, does JKHub have its own organized tournaments and ladders? If not then who's tourneys and ladders exactly would you feature on the front page? Another issue is having to keep this information updated, as it would need to be entered manually no doubt.

I believe it would be more practical for such things to have their own dedicated 'Competitive Play' page where all the relevent information can be kept in one easy to find place.

It is currently about modding and file hosting, but it shouldn't be and we are trying to change that. Given JKHub's original vision of being a central hub for the entire community and not just modders, it makes more sense to feature important information about the competitive stuff on the front page. The ladders and tournaments are forthcoming, or at least are on the list of changes for JKHub 2.0. Manual editing might be a bit of a hassle though... maybe we can fix that somehow.

It is currently about modding and file hosting, but it shouldn't be and we are trying to change that. Given JKHub's original vision of being a central hub for the entire community and not just modders, it makes more sense to feature important information about the competitive stuff on the front page. The ladders and tournaments are forthcoming, or at least are on the list of changes for JKHub 2.0. Manual editing might be a bit of a hassle though... maybe we can fix that somehow.

Hmmm, I take your point, but one has to be careful about trying to be all things to all people. Very few things, and very few people can be good at everything. You can either be exceptional at one thing, or mediocre at many. And I am worried that focusing on too many things simultaneously will be detrimental overall. You guys have a great thing going here, this really is one of the last bastions of JK Modding and I would hate to see that supplanted by using the site to replicate something that many clans are probably already doing well enough on their own sites. One of the issues I see is that the site is currently very well in tune with the modding community, but there is very little here to do with the competitive community, aside from the site and clan links at the top of the page.

I can completely understand where you are coming from and what you want to do Ping, really.

The problem is, what incentive would those competitive or clan players have in coming here over simply socializing on their own websites? How would you organize such a disparate group of people around tournaments and competitive play here as opposed to ones that they will run internally?

To integrate and organize that here on the site, and indeed to change the sites current primary purpose would require a huge amount of effort and maintenance.

Guys guys guys, I'm getting PMs about this (@@Nozyspy, just replying in here instead), there's a three page discussion here, and this one is about to hit two pages. I am still retired, you know.  :lol:

The really short version:

• I currently don't have access to the necessary software (XenForo) until the next donation drive. That means all concepts are still in my head, and I have no concept images to share.
  • I'm reading most of the things being said here and have opinions on it, but I'm retired and while I'm making a new design to futureproof JKH because I'm too nice for my own good, one of the things I was hoping to get away from is spending hours typing out forum replies.
  • If you want this to happen faster, maybe bug the staff to collect donations earlier than usual this year. I'm simply not the right person to bug.
  • There are terrifying amounts of misinformation floating around about the new design.
So in short, I'm reading all of these threads (and PMs), honest, but spending ages answering everyone's questions about the new design at this stage would take up far too much of my time while I have far too little to say, and making this new design for free is about the limit of how charitable I'm feeling right now. Sorry.  :P

EDIT: I'm aiming for Q4 2015 of Q1 2016 for this. There will be concepts and opportunities for feedback when I actually have access to the software I need to even get started.

Yeah I did actually have a look at that thread before I made this one, but Eez said I should make a new thread if I had any suggestions. I wasn't intending to step on your toes i'm quite looking forward to what you have in mind, in fact, I just thought I could offer some suggestions. Really I was thinking that since there didn't seem to be any firm idea of when this new software was being released there could be some simple aesthetic changes made that could spruce the already decent theme a bit while we wait and also to provide an alternate to a full site redesign which of course would take a considerable amount of your time and energy I am sure. You already also have my donation, and more will be forthcoming, everyone needs to work together to keep the community going strong! :)

Oh and also, you never truly retire. I tried doing that once and i couldn't stay away. :P

Ahh i'm only trying to help, but maybe i'm outstaying my welcome already eh? :/ I just... I feel guilty that I was once custodian of a large part of this community, and despite my best efforts was unable to protect it in the end, I would like to make amends.

There's no harm in bringing your ideas to the table. I don't think Caelum's post was directed at you specifically.

Keep in mind, the staff is having a lot thrown at them with ideas lately. Give ideas, but be patient during this long period of planning.

Again, not directed at just you, it goes for all.

And no, you haven't outstayed your welcome at all my friend.

I hope you'll forgive me. For many years I was used to just getting things done. For years at FileFront the higher ups talked about 'new network sites' and this 'big redesign' where everything would be modernized. People spent a long time discussing it and throwing around ideas, but in the end it all came to naught, all the while I had learned to make the best with what I had.

I trust Caelum don't worry, he was an excellent staffer back in the day. But as always with aiming high, there is always the worry of things falling short of increasingly building expectations, I just wanted to provide some suggestions on how the current site could be spruced up a bit without having to expend too much time, energy or indeed money on it.

I look forward to seeing what Caelum has in mind, but i'm still convinced the site as it currently is, aesthetically speaking, only needs a bit of spit and polish!

There are terrifying amounts of misinformation floating around about the new design.

Like i said above, i've been through a similar situation before, and what they were coming up with was terrifying! :P It would have seen JKFiles turned into something that looked like a glorified blog!

therfiles and NAB622 like this

Like i said above, i've been through a similar situation before, and what they were coming up with was terrifying! :P It would have seen JKFiles turned into something that looked like a glorified blog!

Oh my word.......don't remind me! I remember seeing the proposed changes. Ugh. Glorified blog is putting it nicely - it was far worse than a blog, nigh unreadable.

And then everyone started photoshopping *hundreds* of design proposals of their own and started arguing and it got funny. :lol: Poor n0e.