Star Wars Episode VIII Discussion

Agreed about 1900s. There are some more pictures, and I feel, there is sort of a yacht, and a banquet.

322DD60300000578-3491395-image-a-118_145

322DE7E700000578-3491395-image-a-87_1457

[imghttps://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uQxPrP_HpDU/Vub4yQN5GDI/AAAAAAAAK1k/lJ6fHYuQXp85SjbMiblvz169iieErSXDg/s1600/322ED6EE00000578-3491395-image-a-29_1457973313713.jpg

(back in 2000s someone made a resin of one model, very similar to this alien, for JO)

322ED7DF00000578-3491395-image-a-48_1457

322DED4900000578-3491395-image-a-82_1457

322DE80F00000578-3491395-image-a-79_1457

322DE9C500000578-3491395-image-a-84_1457

As expected, a fight breaks out. The speeder is then involved in a chase, or simply explodes even before that.

322DEC3E00000578-3491395-image-a-77_1457

Look, how people are running away from the streets!

322ED8CA00000578-3491395-image-a-30_1457

Horse again.

322EE43500000578-3491395-image-a-50_1457

So I guess Episode VIII won't be that much secret as Episode VII, mostly because we already know the setting, the general situation in the Galaxy and the timing. TFA was also made using such locations as National parks, desert and closed studios, where preserving secrecy was easier, and it was even more important to keep everything very secret. Now there is no such thing, and it's more difficult to create a city in the city without much attention.

Edited

2-6.jpg

1-6.jpg

Some of the extras look like they'd belong on a luxury liner and  what you said a banquet. It looks more like people attending a play rather than a banquet or some type of political thing because of what happened to the New Republic in TFA.From the looks of it someone will get assassinated much like how the decoy queen in Attack of the Clone was or similar.

NumberWan likes this

The extras wearing the alien costumes.If this is a sequel to TFA where are the starships.Also where are the First Order, remains of the New Republic, and the Resistance/Minor Alliance set pieces and characters.We've seen stunt doubles so far but none of the main cast not to mention the thee new cast members if not more.

@

Some new aliens. I see only one species familiar from the background in Episode VII, and he makes it into Episode VIII. I will feel uneasy, if there aren't least some familiar faces in the naxt chapters like Twi'leks, Nikto or Rodians. Seeing Duros would also be nice. Mix the new ones with old ones!

@@DrXann

I guess, the New Republic is in disarray, since most of the fleet is destroyed as well as the capital and the government. We can assume, that all remaining planets are thinking, what side to join in the upcoming conflict, or perhaps stay away from it completely (the encyclopedia mentioned, that the New Republic Chancellor is trying to negotiate with such worlds, ignoring military affairs). So it's another crisis even for the best of the best Republic Allies.

The First Order is also in no good shape: it relied too much on the Starkiller Base, and its destruction was also a revelation of Order's nature and actions. It might have been ignored by many in the past, but no longer possible, as some would fear its next moves, while others would try to remain neutral or even ally themselves with someone like that.

This new planet, that we might call "CB" (as written on guards helmets) for the time-being, is a location far from the main events. They might be not affiliated with either of the sides. Like Tatooine during the Clone Wars.

The banquet suggests, that some main heroes are to meet someone important on this planet, moving in secret perhaps, as agents of the opposite side (First Order?) are chasing them through the streets. Their presence endangers the local life, meaning that the time of stylish parties with Corellian champagne would end soon as the planet is occupied...

Its going to be like Empire Strike Back or similar.In the prequel book to TFA it mentions both the Home One and another Mon Calamari warship why they didn't use these in TFA is beyond me.Either due to time constraints or Lucasfilm wanting the movie to be similar to A New Hope with a large scale squadron assaulting a superweapon.

As for the New Republic they should have listened to the warnings about the First Order.I'm pretty sure that any political officials or fleet officers in charge of patrols and planets outside of the New Republics space would have noticed that their command structure had gone dark after the First Order test fired Starkiller Base on Hosnian Prime and what ever worlds those were in the movie.They would have contingency plans for that.

I hope Episode VIII won't be a repetition of TESB. At least visually – create new planets and new aliens! And new designs. Cloud City was a rare case in the Original Trilogy, where we see a civilized city. Tatooine was great, my favorite planet, but it's important to see diversity in the Galaxy.

I also thought, that they could have introduced more ships in TFA, though they decided to follow ANH pattern, I agree here. The only explanation, to tell the truth. Or some sort of time constraints/budget/Studios desires, etc.

The New Republic was more about diplomacy and trade, it seems. Leia warned them, but they didn't listen, as the Remnants of the Empire didn't bother anyone much in the last 30 years, it seems. The remaining fractions (not Republic ones) did of course notice the destruction of such an important system, as Hosnian Prime. We can remember what it was like in KOTOR: it's probably one of a few sources in Star Wars which allow you to travel after the big boom (destruction of Taris) and ask ordinary people, what they think about it. When arriving on Tatooine I remember, how different people and aliens spoke of the rumors and news. A Duros fugitive on Dantooine, if I am correct, compares the fall of his home world because of the Sith to the tragedy of Taris. Czerka Representatives introduce a milder version of the events though.

So perhaps this is what we have with minor players in Galactic affairs, like this CB planet. I doubt many have a fleet capable of fighting former Galactic Empire. Corporations like Techno Union, Banking Clan or Trade Federation no longer exist, and the Republic is decapitated.

The latest rumour, as according to makingstarwars.com, is that Laura Dern's character is a major figure in the Republic.

Her scene includes a meeting aboard a large Republic vessel, similar to Episode VI briefing with Mon Mothma, where it is revealed, that both the Republic and the Resistance are taking damage from the First Order forces. She and Poe Dameron have different views on things in the Galaxy, and this is perhaps the moment when the good guys have a quarrel. Laura Dern herself is a Republic officer and perhaps a former boss for Poe before he left for the Resistance to serve Leia.

Interestingly, that Dave Prowse further develops the rumour in his page on FB: Laura Dern's character – "Imay Thizup, Leia's daughter from a previous marriage."

So this means, that Han and Leia might have been separated just after Episode VI and reunited later. If this is the case, then we have another Skywalker in the story. I like this moment only from the point, that the old canon is restoring (re-establishing) itself, as Leia had three children in the old books.

However I believe, that it would be better if this Imay Thizup was a daughter of Han Solo instead, and a different woman before he met Leia. It would be more logical.

dark_apprentice likes this

if that rumor would be true,  I'd go back to hating disney; they don't need to bring a family drama from the O.C  into StarWars universe, I mean c'mon  " From Leia's previous marriage" ?? Am I supposed to say "sure that's life, why couldn't it happen in the SW universe?" well - I'm not going to.  This would be the worst idea ever. I'd prefer a Jar Jar come back over this.

This is a mere speculation, but since IMDb already reveals that Kylo obviously escaped the Strakiller base before it blew up, we're left with one particular guestion that interests me; Did Kylo Ren manage to recover his helmet? With that scar on his face, he would look very intimidating walking around looking for Rey and the resistance fighters. The helmet was great, and when he had the hood covering it, man, that looked really bad ass. But they gotta do something about his appearance in ep8 yes?

I mean who wants a Kylo Ren ep8 toy if the ep7 toy is exactly the same?

25_kylo_ren_w529_h529.jpg586532305b391ac47dd0de154d58b62c.jpg

@

I would prefer Dern's character to be Han's daughter, as I said. As Kylo is her son, I find it strange that nobody mentions his siblings. Maybe he had someone, like a sister which he killed during the massacre, and Han and Leia don't mention it in the manner, as Yoda and Obi Wan tell nothing about Luke's sister in Episode V. But all this doesn't make sense.

As for the mask of Kylo Ren, I also thought, that he lost his helmet, thus he might need a new appearance. Not sure what would be best – to see a hew design on his face of the old one, implying he had more than one at his disposal.

I'd rather have her be a New Republic Captain since the description is similar that of Juno Eclipse from the Force Unleashed except she isn't British and not a former Imperial Captain.I'm sure Kylo has a spare mask aboard his star destroyer.

So there is more information on Dern's character. Also some news about Leia (careful!!!)

-Character of Laura Dern is a leader of the Resistance.

-Leia’s ship is ambushed and she is blasted through space (perhaps prior to Episode VIII, but better during it!)

-Leia ends up in a coma.

-Laura Dern’s character then takes over Resistance command, but makes things far worse (disagreements?)

-With this in mind, Poe takes control of the situation and becomes the interim leader of the Resistance.

-In regards to the way Dern is portrayed, we are meant to not be sure if she is good or bad (I like this the most).

Source: makingstarwars.com

You know, what might make this movie even more interesting is if Kylo hears that Leia is in a coma and he starts to become conflicted about what he did in the previous movie. If the movie ends with him turning against Snoke, but with Luke, him and Rey on the run as Snoke and his former Knights of Ren brothers will be after them and with the Resistance's hands tied up, they have to rely on others to help them stay under cover, I'd say Ben Solo might have some hope in him yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Not very new, but there is a picture of filming at a location, where Luke and Rey meet in the end of Episode VII. The hive-like structures are seen on the set. We know, that back in Autumn 2015 filming already took place, but now the story continues on the same planet (the first jedi Temple). But this time its Pinewood Studios.

Pinewood-Beehive.png

UPDATE

Seems this will be the next filming location for Episode VIII. A Market in Ireland.

English-market.jpg

Though filmed in Ireland, this one would be, presumably, be a continuation of the planet, shot in Dubrovnik.

@Acrobat

Of all the strange ideas this one with palpatine is better than most. I actually even like it. Old EU developed the idea, that Palpatine might have had a child, though I never got the real idea, so was there one or not.

Meanwhile they say, that actor and comedian Ade Edmondson has secured a role in Star Wars Episode VIII. I am not familiar with him, but MSW mentions it as a rumour, and that the role is top secret for now (no doubt).

I find it more interesting, that Frank Oz is to be present on the set of Episode VIII as well. Most people discuss, whether we will see Yoda in the next chapter. Which is not impossible, given, that the old Jedi master learnt of a Force Ghost form after death. There is even more reasons to believe that, as the set for Ahch-To (Jedi Planet in the end of TFA) was made in such a way so that a puppet could also move along with the actors. sounds too familiar.

Oh yeah we need Yoda.  Much like R2D2 is part of each trilogy, I think Yoda must also be part of each trilogy. Every Jedi who found the way to become a force ghost could appear in the disney trilogy (Canon: Yoda, Obi-wan & Qui-Gon) But having liam neeson as a ghost sounds too far fetched...  I'd prefer Yoda or sir Alec. And even if Frank Oz was seen on the set of episode eight, that wouldn't still mean he's there to voice Yoda, he could also have an "easter egg" appearance, dressed as a citizen. Every option is on the table.

Well, Maz kanata didn't work for me as a little master. She is no way Yoda... So I hope the mysterium, established by Grand Master in previous episodes, will return together with his appearance at least as a Force Ghost. Which isn't impossible, given the fact, that we her his voice in TFA.

Not sure how Force Ghosts work, but if we stick to the films only, I presume, that they can be seen only by those, who are most connected to them. Thus Luke can see Yoda and Obi Wan, but not Qui Gon (but Vader could). Rey didn't see any of them, so the rule remains true. We haven't seen a moment yet, when for instance a Force User would be able to see a Force Ghost, while being with others nearby at the same time (e.g. can Luke see Yoda, when Han is nearby? And can Han see Yoda in this instance? What about Leia instead of Han, would she be able to see Yoda's Ghost?).