Star Wars Episode VIII Discussion

• 1 month later...

Warning !! This spoiler can make you do not see Episode VIII. Click if you prefer the spoiler to the stunning scenes and graphics and the last movie with this amazing character ! Resist to temptation, if you're able :P

LUKE DIES. I TOLD YOU NOT TO CLICK, SORRY :P

I call B.S. None of the reliable spoiler sources have anything on that.

No one truly **** in Star Wars. I can mention a lot of characters, who came into immortality so to speak via very different methods be it a sort of mysterious technique or their deeds. Even if it happened this way, as the spoiler suggests, I am actually okey with that: 1) it would make a difference in the new trilogy, 2) by this time in the old canon so much happened to Luke, that perhaps he could die some time around this date (34 ABY) too. All go to rest one day.

This is perhaps what Maul wants the most - the poor guy have been tortured by rebirth again and again countless times now

P.S. Too bad even ABY abd BBY are no longer canon.

No one truly **** in Star Wars. I can mention a lot of characters, who came into immortality so to speak via very different methods be it a sort of mysterious technique or their deeds. Even if it happened this way, as the spoiler suggests, I am actually okey with that: 1) it would make a difference in the new trilogy, 2) by this time in the old canon so much happened to Luke, that perhaps he could die some time around this date (34 ABY) too. All go to rest one day.

This is perhaps what Maul wants the most - the poor guy have been tortured by rebirth again and again countless times now

P.S. Too bad even ABY abd BBY are no longer canon.

You may want to spoiler tag what you're talking about when mentioning the specific character :P

• 4 weeks later...

So according to latest news, Yoda's puppet is back on stage – this time for Episode VIII. It's not very surprising, if you ask me. We could hear the voices of Obi Wan and the old master in TFA. So there might be much more this time. I am positive they are guiding Luke Skywalker.

But why would they add him? They made Maz Kanata to replace Yoda, an obvious move to be consistent with Star Wars lore. Seeing the two in one story would be interesting still. But my opinion is that Maz didn't setlle all the things the right thing for the plot – it won't replace the most beloved Jedi master.

• 1 month later...

Luke-Skywalker-in-The-Force-Awakens-by-B

Ok, as much as I have kept an eye on this topic, I honestly don't know if I'm repeating this question; "Where is Luke's saber?(at the end of TFA)" Obviously I mean the one he made after ESB. The ending scene for The Force Awakens doesn't reveal a saber of any kind hanging from Luke's belt. His old saber, Anakin's saber, seems to be Rey's saber now. Maybe we'll see Luke taking his saber from a wooden box, like Ben Kenobi once did during ANH? Or we'll find out that he lost his saber when Kylo turned against him?

What difference does it make, right? Well, I'm just thinking what to expect from Luke in episode 8. Will he share old Ben's fate and just die with a "too old for this shit" attitude, or, will he infact use the power of the Force like Yoda did in the prequels? Surely his days in hiding are over now, he has to confront some enemies and I personally have huge expectations for this character, I mean, he is one of the most powerful jedi to have ever lived, maybe even greater than Yoda.

I heard a rumor that he might...

..take down The Finalizer (the huge ship that we see soon after the intro text rolls away). It would be similar to what we saw in TFU game, remember?
https://youtu.be/RkBiYpD3SDc?t=15s

apparently the crew has been working on a Finalizer ship for practical effects above water, and mark hamill has recently said he was involved in a scene that required nothing else from him than standing still and the rest would be some heavy CGI work. This could mean ANYTHING but, put 1 and 1 together and.... yah... hmm

Luke-Skywalker-in-The-Force-Awakens-by-B

I heard a rumor that he might...

..take down The Finalizer (the huge ship that we see soon after the intro text rolls away). It would be similar to what we saw in TFU game, remember?

https://youtu.be/RkBiYpD3SDc?t=15s

apparently the crew has been working on a Finalizer ship for practical effects above water, and mark hamill has recently said he was involved in a scene that required nothing else from him than standing still and the rest would be some heavy CGI work. This could mean ANYTHING but, put 1 and 1 together and.... yah... hmm

That would be badass.  :luke:

You know, I was writing a whole reply about how I was sure that would never happen. About how the whole thesis of Force Awakens was "the Star Wars you used to know and love is back!", meaning they weren't going to do anything like that because no one in the original trilogy would have had the power to do that. But then I started thinking about the X-Wing scene on Dagobah, and if they used a scene of Luke pulling a damn Star Destroyer out of the sky to demonstrate to Rey that size doesn't matter/the power of the force is limitless, like Yoda did with Luke, now I can kind of see it. It would be a nice little nod to Force Unleashed fans that wouldn't make people who aren't familiar with those games go "huh? What does that mean?" like they would if, for instance, Starkiller made a cameo or something. Although I don't think the people involved really care about giving nods to Force Unleashed fans.

Problem is, once you establish that one of the good guys can pull a ship the size of Texas out of the sky with his mind, well that kind of neutralizes a lot of the tension. "Oh no! Kylo Ren is back! How will we defea- oh. Luke just launched him into outer space. Good one Luke." Unless they kill Luke in this one and not the third one, so he's not around to have their backs anymore. Which is a thing that's going to happen eventually. The mentor always has to die.

EDIT: Should I have spoilered any of that? Do we spoiler tag pure fan speculation?

z3filus likes this

Haven't heard about Star Destroyer sequence, but the last thing I read is that Kylo Ren will have a slightly different apparel in Episode VIII.

He will be using a cloak, similar to that of Darth Vader. Some speculate, that the cape is actually taken from a Sith Lord himself, but it's just a rumour. It is mostly backed up by the latest stories, taht after Endor many people, including some Senators would buy various Imperial relics for themselves. Nothing is said about Kylo's mask, but we might assume he might be using a new mask now.

It was said previously, that a new type of stormtroopers would appear in the film.

One of these is the new Stormtrooper Executioner, similar in functions to T8-OR trooper, but with black line/detail on his armor. Also the Red Royal Guard would be in this film, but redesigned for the First Order.

z3filus likes this

That sounds like the star destroyer sequence that's straight out of the Force Unleashed.Luke isn't that powerful by the way either canon or not.

He's as powerful as they want him to be. They probably won't overpower him to that degree, because it would stray too far from the original trilogy, but they're writing the thing and they'll do whatever they want with him.

• 1 month later...

Now, that Rogue One is released, people wonder, when the trailer for Episode VIII would come out. The studio says, that we will see something in early 2017 (obviously), while Adam Driver hopes, there would be no trailer at all.

I find it funny, that they say, Luke isn't actually alone on Ahch-To before Rey's arrivel: small creatures, which look like puffins, dwell on the islands as well, and will be seen in the film.

puffin_tcm9-335663.jpg

• 1 month later...

"I finish Episode 8, and then I'm out of work." ~ Mark Hamill

Star Wars: The Return of Darth Vader

Star Wars: The Force

Star Wars: Luke's Padawan

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Star Wars: The Last Ewok

Star Wars: R2D2

A B movie title is one thing, but this... >.<'

What will the third one be called? Star Wars: The Chosen One?

Kathleen Kennedy: "How did you know?"

this replication of the original trilogy is pathetic. Do these people not have any creative ability to do something unique and different?

Oh wait... they got the director of "Loopers" doing this one. Maybe Luke "loops" back and kills himself on Tatooine saying, "...I should have died with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru!"

Cerez likes this

No, most likely Star Wars: Everyone Joins Against Evil Emperor Clone Snoke.

Star Wars: Snoke's Smoke :lol:

Oh wait... they got the director of "Loopers" doing this one. Maybe Luke "loops" back and kills himself on Tatooine saying, "...I should have died with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru!"

If only... That would spare him the shame. -_-

Hahaha! :lol: Love it how even with Disney's money in the press sponsoring this, and Mark Hamill trying his hardest not to gag (for his own legal/financial safety), he still has trouble articulating his response.

Oh Disney, what are we going to do with you? :rolleyes:

I am not very keen on the new title, but I wasn't quite satisfied with Attack of the Clones at the time either. I believe A New Hope and The Phantom Menace sound probably the best, setting in both cases a mystery and making us wonder what do they actually mean. In TPM you understand, the Empire is ahead, and believe Darth Maul to be the harbinger of the Dark Times, though in reality it's Anakin himself. Even though you do understand and see what they mean, you don't actually believe it at once.

In case of ANH it works the same way - there is hope, which we believe is the last known Jedi Obi Wan Kenobi. Even though we might think that is it, and even others believe that (like Leia), in reality it's Luke Skywalker. And through him it's again Anakin Skywalker.

TFA tried to use the same approach, but the the final result is disputable indeed. I do believe, that the Episodes come in pairs in terms of meaning. ANH+TPM, AOTC+TESB, while Revenge of the Sith makes a reverence to Return of the Jedi.

Attack of the Clones and The Empire Strikes back are probably the least mysterious and least philosophical titles in Star Wars (plot doesn't count). So perhaps Episode VIII follows this pattern, even though it does include the "Jedi" in it. 

For now I am not supporting Episode VIII in any way. I know a few interesting things, which might indicate it would be far better than TFA. However before its premiere I also believed in many very cool things to appear in Episode VII, which I longed for. The rumours suggested, the story would be fantastic (and having put all the things I knew - it was actually like that - great). However the film omitted just so much! But I was on the right track, given the fact how much was removed from the final cut (you can see for yourself - there are already several deleted scenes, which imho were essential to the atmosphere of the film at least!).

So I must say, for Episode VIII I have this feeling right now: they've had a good start in production and they've chosen good places to shoot and interesting actors, and some plot moments (if they are true) are quite captivating, yet the final cut might be different (!), and thus the expectations might fail you here.

LucyTheAlien and Cerez like this

Really excited to see what Rian Johnson has in store. He seems like he has his own unique vision and this film is going to be such a unique film! I've really liked his work on Breaking Bad. :D

Plus the red titling (I know, I'm a noob) is really striking. I really like the new title, but it sounds a bit too similar to Return of the Jedi. However, Rian has had this title chosen since the first draft, so it clearly speaks volumes for the story.

A New Hope --> The Empire Strikes Back --> Return of the Jedi

[Titled from the perspective of the Rebels/Jedi.]

The Phantom Menace --> Attack of the Clones --> Revenge of the Sith

[Titled from the perspective of the Sith.]

The Force Awakens --> The Last Jedi --> ??? [Return of the Jedi Order?]

[Clearly titled from the perspective of the Force/Jedi, but it doesn't seem to abide by the same relationship/formula. Who/What are we fighting here, exactly? Luke's decision to end the Jedi tradition? The Jedi are fighting against being forgotten? The Force is fighting to exist? >.<']