Star Wars Episode VIII Discussion

I thought of exactly the same spots. Dubrovnik is truly an amazing place, which managed to preserve the beauty of old architecture and culture. It would be nice to see a city in Star Wars again, because while I do understand the Maz Kanata castle, I would say, that Niima Outpost is a pretty dull place. If we think of Mos Eisley, it's far more diverse in all aspects.

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from the rumour, that the Dubrovnik authorities are in the talks with Lucasfilm and Disney about making certain scenes of Episode VIII in their city, there is nothing else known.

While looking for something new, found this. So does Han Solo return or not?

giphy.gif

Personally I miss the time, when the games were made based on the film and were closer to the nature of the film, like it was with The Phantom Menace video game. Actually they used that film to the maximum, releasing Podracer, battle for Naboo (like Rogue Squadron 3D), galactic Battleground (Age of Empire II), Obi Wan (consoles only unfortunately), and many others. I also remember, that there were a lot more of toys set in Star Wars. 2000 or so was the year when Lego introduced its first SW sets.

With Episode VII we've got Infinity only, as well as a glimpse of Jakku in Battlefront. How about deeper adventures? Like Republic Commando for instance? So much space to be creative. Maybe they are trying to see what's what, so Episode VIII will show more cool things like games.

For now they only announced some casting news:

Joining the cast of Episode VIII are Benecio Del Toro (Traffic, The Usual Suspects), Laura Dern (Rambling Rose, Wild), and Kelly Marie Tran (About a Boy, Adam Ruins Everything). Cast members from The Force Awakens who are returning for Episode VIII are: Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis.

The principle members of the crew of Episode VIII was also announced. Via StarWars.com,

Star Wars: Episode VIII is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski. Joining the production crew will be some of the industry’s top talent, including Steve Yedlin (Director of Photography), Bob Ducsay (Editor), Rick Heinrichs (Production Designer), Peter Swords King (Hair and Make-Up Designer), and Mary Vernieu (US Casting Director). They will be joining returning crew members Pippa Anderson (Co-Producer, VP Post Production), Neal Scanlan (Creature & Droid FX Creative Supervisor), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Jamie Wilkinson (Prop Master), Chris Corbould (SFX Supervisor), Rob Inch (Stunt Coordinator), Ben Morris (VFX Supervisor), and Nina Gold (UK Casting Director).

Star Wars Episode VIII hits theatres on December 15th, 2017.

Source

There's a very suspicious feeling that 8 is going to be called Ascending Darkness or something else.Though that might be just a guess who knows.Thats what you get for them buying out Lucasfilm.I honestly have no problem other than some things in the Expanded Universe are better.Though what we get now is good too.

You might be right, at least about the tone of the film. They said from the start it would be darker.

As we now know, two actors joined the team – Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern, the latter being a surprise for me.

MV5BMjI3NzY0MDQxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzMw

She played Dr. Ellie Sattler in Jurassic Park, it was so long ago! I wonder who she might be this time (sone sort of a Republic officer in charge?). Benicio Del Toro confirmed he is playing a villain in the film, so I wonder who that might be... Another Military guy like Hux? Someone like Phasma? Or perhaps another Knight of Ren? I am confident, that we'll see more of this Brotherhood.

Also Daisy Ridley confirmed that Kelly Marie Tran joined the cast too.

MV5BMjMyMjUyMTAzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDcw

Unfortunately there is a confirmation now, that Harrison Ford is not coming to Episode VIII. No flashbacks, sorry.

Firstly; When we're talking about filming StarWars or any other fictional story, it's imporant to remember that most of the cast will not look like themselves in their roles. Del Toro would make a great imperial admiral, he kinda looks like boba fett too, he could be a mentor of the Ren, or a tank like chewie. He could be playing an alien too, hell, he could even be Kanjiklub, because nobody has confirmed Del Toro to be anything more than a villain. Kanjiklub's men were after Han in the first part of this trilogy, so who knows if the same group is still after Han or his friends; Rey & Fin. Even if it sounds unlikely, they could appear in the next film just to amuse us, again.

Oh sweet Laura. I remember her from JurassicPark. She has a kind face, almost royal like Princess Diana. Maybe Rey will have flashbacks of her mother, who knows. But with the Disney logo floating above this franchise, it would be wise to concider her playing the first female imperial admiral in StarWars. I'd imagine a lot of people expecting her to be a kind lady in this film but what is she'll be the exact opposite? As for Kelly Marie Tran, I have no f** idea...    :)

I like the ideas, that you put behind Laura's role in Episode VIII. Meanwhile we get some pictures from the set!!! This is just a preparation for the filming, but BE Careful!!!!! Possible spoilers alert!!!

20160222_154134-2.jpg

Dubrovnik.jpg

star_wars.jpg

Source

It reminds me...

Of Naboo cities, but those are more elegant for sure. Here the city is closer to a Tatooine and Lothal style, set in green surroundings. I wonder if the windows will remain the same, because if the glass stays there, then it means, that the city might be quite civilized, and not too many gangsters in the street. The events of the film however might bring a gigantic change in the situation, when the First Order or a different party arrives, subjugating the city and peculiar streets, shooting down the civilians and local forces, as well as Rebels, while TIE Bombers destroy the towers and large areas of traditional architecture of this world.

Laura Dern might be the local ruler of the planet for instance (she also remind me of Mon Mothma a bit). While Del Toro might be the one, attacking the planet.

As for the new villain.

I thought, that Del Toro might be a First Order strategist, who is moving the fleet against the New Republic, after the Starkiller Base destroyed. I think, this role will be that of Hux actually, and Del Toro might indeed be someone from the Knights of Ren or a criminal syndicate

Thoughts on Laura Dern:

She is probably Rey's mother. I'm in the boat of people who naturally assumed Rey is Luke's daughter. The Force Awakens shouted that without actually saying it.

Thoughts on Benecio Del Toro:

He's known for playing a villain and I don't think that will change. I think the obvious-but-not-so-obvious answer is that he's playing Darth Vader. From the source books that were released, we know that JJ and TFA team actually intended for a scene whereby Kylo would come into contact with Anakin's Force Ghost, except it's different from what we typically understand. While Ben Kenobi is a Force Ghost, he was never turned to the dark side or redeemed as Vader was. They wanted a light side Force ghost for Anakin, and a dark side Force ghost for Vader who would sometimes talk to Kylo. They may be seeking an older-looking-Hayden-Christiansen to play a helmetless-Vader-Force-ghost.

Other theories include:

• Snoke's real apprentice, Kylo being a WIP.

• Another Knight of Ren.

But I just think he's a little bit too old for those.

Thoughts on Rey's parentage:

Most definitely Luke's daughter. The film totally shouted that for me.

• Trapped on a desert planet, with bigger dreams. Her history/situation is an exact reflection of Lukes.

• Lor San Tekka (Max von Sydow) who is part of a Force-worshipping group called the Church of the Force actually knew both Luke and Leia. It is said in the books that Lor San Tekka and Luke worked together trying to find the first Jedi Temple (which we assume is what the Ach-To island ruins are, that's why it's hidden within a puzzled map. To the point... Lor San Tekka is on Jakku when we see him in the film. He and his group obviously think there's something special on Jakku that's worth sticking around for. You can bet your ass it's Rey.

• Naturally skilled pilot, which runs in the family.

• Rey establishes a connection to the Lightsaber. Other people have picked it up before and not had that experience. The Clone Wars states that Lightsaber crystals are unique to their destined users. I'd only assume that the crystal would recognise Rey because she is a Skywalker.

• Maz says: "The Lightsaber belonged to Luke, and his father before him... and now... it calls to you!" It's almost like shes saying "Come on girl.. seriously.. isn't it obvious? You parents aint coming back because you have to go find them/him!"

• Kylo vs Finn and Rey: Kylo shouts "That Lightsaber, it belongs to me!" He recognises it, even though Luke had lost it for years. Kylo thinks it's his birth-right, especially given his obsession with his grandfather. But nope - that Lightsaber flies straight past that suckers face and into the hands of the true destined/chosen Skywalker - Rey.

An update for the photos above. Same location.

But we can see some electronics in the door now. Very authentic to Tatooine in Episode IV designs.

image-91.jpeg?resize=750%2C736

@

Never thought of that. But you might be right about Laura Dern here. If the theory proves true, then it would remind of the original Star Wars script, where Luke would meet his sister much later than Episode VI. I mean, that here an important figure would appear in the next chapter, the same was with Yoda, who opened Star Wars for us only with Episode V.

RT released a video of the construction of the set, which can be seen here: video.

Careful, it might spoil the film for you  ^_^

@@dark_apprentice

Well, I've never heard about that. Casting for Episode I was a known fact regarding Obi Wan, Amidala and Anakin for the most part. Darth Maul for some reasons is revealed in other ways.

As far as I remember, Pierce Brosnan also waited for a long time to get filmed in James Bond. It was Timothy Dalton, to became the next Bond after Roger Moore, and in 1989 they made License to Kill, where Benicio Del Toro is playing one of the minor villains. After several years of legal problems 007 series continued with Brosnan. Perhaps this is sort of repetition for Del Toro this time. ;)

UPDATE from the set:

f5eec6ba5e3fcc0fe3ca49180cc4c387.jpg

eaac192103cd357114d2b34f4528c0f1.jpg

59a2c093819f583948bf86acbeb4bcfb.jpg

a69e7eff053355e16e63e5dd69fd7438.jpg

More here

dark_apprentice and Bek like this

Well, Luke has tremedous weight on his shoulders, being the hero of the rebellion against the empire, killing vader and & emperor (from the citizens pov) and he knows who his father was and what he did in the past and how he struck fear into the galaxy by the emperors side, now his nephew is on the same destructive path and Luke is expected to save the day in one way or the other, it would make the saga even more dramatic if they'd kill off Luke... but when he does die (thinking about the character) i'd imagine it being important to him to pass on the Jedi teachings to someone, almost obviousl to Rey.  Lucas' story is about the balance in the force, so by the end credits of episode 9 the balance must be restored.