Vehicle Rider Animation

Cerez
Go to solution Solved by Ramikad,

Here's a vehicle expert question:

Is there any way to make a vehicle use a different animation than the default bike-style sitting animation for the rider -- for example, standing -- without changing/overriding the default game's animations?

Inyri made a hoverboard vehicle a while back, but she also used an overwrite for the default bike-sit animation. Is it possible not to do that, and achieve some result with a vehicle?

.veh files simply have a riderAnim setting, which uses BOTH_VS_IDLE for the swoop, but I don't think there's any problem with simply entering a different animation there.

Thanks. I did notice that, and I've tried changing it, but ultimately it doesn't seem to make a difference. The game insists on using BOTH_VS_IDLE no matter what value is put into riderAnim...

Apparently it's hardcoded.

Yep, this seems to be the case. Neither changing riderAnim, nor editing the frame number in the model's animation.cfg seems to work. The only thing that works is an overwrite of the game's _humanoid animation.cfg, as Inyri has done.

We'll soon(ish) have a special format for OpenJK-exclusive mods, so anybody trying to use it will know they need OpenJK.

Hmm... Actually, I do approve of this. We can't stay chained by the limits of the retail game's code forever.

But we'll need to work out an easy installation method that works like a patch for the retail game for less tech savvy people. A setup wizard that works reliably for all releases of JKA.

mrwonko likes this