Will you play Battlefront?

eezstreet

Latest Poll  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on playing Battlefront?

• Yes, I have it preordered.
    • Yes, at some point.
    • Maybe.
    • No.
    • Other (describe)

@@Avoozl this is false. Battlefront 1 and 2 used Pandemic's in-house engine, which was also used for games like Destroy All Humans and some other THQ titles. You can very clearly see the influence in the camera angles.

I think the argument that an engine is deterministic of the game is quite unsound to say the least. Consider PAYDAY 2. Its engine (Diesel) was originally made for racing games on the PS2. Quite odd then that the game is a FPS/RPG, and driving mechanics were only just recently added.

Also, how would you classify games made on general purpose engines, such as Unreal?

Anyway, I will almost certainly not purchase it. I am far too busy with schoolwork. :) Plus I have a bad feeling in my gut that it will include microtransactions.

AshuraDX likes this

Who says the Beta has everything in the game?

That is roughly in line with everything else said in regard to the Single Player and the amount of levels they have. Usually when you get this close to a game release, there is actually more in those specific files than may actually make it in-game as no one wants to go trim string files for stuff only in the beta (or may have been delayed for DLC/Jakku update). If they wanted to do that, we wouldn't have been able to see any of that content in the first place. When the game is that close to release it is very likely that all of those are in place already because QA already had to go through them by this point. So, in the end that number shouldn't move too much. I can tell you the co-op level count will not move till the jakku update (and who knows if it will then too).

Doesn't matter though, I prefer quality over quantity.

Which doesn't exist in the new Battlefront if you read my 13 page reddit post. So many basic quality features present in even current Battlefield titles went completely over their heads. Ya know, like the dead bodies absorbing shots thing that they fixed in BF4 but somehow made its way into Battlefront? Yeah, nice quality there DICE.

Oh, and I would like to note this. EA is has 70% profit margins for Q4 2015 and 80% for Q1 2016 respectively based on an internal report. So, lets just take Battlefront for example and the 70% value assuming (and assuming no other game sales) a lot of sales will be around the movie and before Christmas. At this quick and inaccurate calculation, actual cost for Battlefront is $18 per box (For however many millions of copies they expect to sell). Yep, money well spent.

Which doesn't exist in the new Battlefront if you read my 13 page reddit post. So many basic quality features present in even current Battlefield titles went completely over their heads. Ya know, like the dead bodies absorbing shots thing that they fixed in BF4 but somehow made its way into Battlefront? Yeah, nice quality there DICE.

Oh, and I would like to note this. EA is has 70% profit margins for Q4 2015 and 80% for Q1 2016 respectively based on an internal report. So, lets just take Battlefront for example and the 70% value assuming (and assuming no other game sales) a lot of sales will be around the movie and before Christmas. At this quick and inaccurate calculation, actual cost for Battlefront is $18 per box (For however many millions of copies they expect to sell). Yep, money well spent.

First off, I never played Battlefield. Secondly, I played the beta and I enjoyed it quite a lot. There was more than enough quality for me to pre-order; But quite obviously "quality" when it comes to video games is extremely subjective. Thirdly, I don't give a damn about EA's profits. They are a corporation, they're supposed to make profit, and if people enjoy their product (which I certainly do), then I say they deserve that profit. 

First off, I never played Battlefield. Secondly, I played the beta and I enjoyed it quite a lot. There was more than enough quality for me to pre-order; But quite obviously "quality" when it comes to video games is extremely subjective. Thirdly, I don't give a damn about EA's profits. They are a corporation, they're supposed to make profit, and if people enjoy their product (which I certainly do), then I say they deserve that profit. 

Meh, I'll play the Good Ol' Battlefront 2, which has more features than the newer game.

Alright. I can see you won't be swayed. I guess you're okay with overpaying for something developers didn't take the time or money to make where most of their budget went into art assets. That is something that I feel is horribly wrong with consumers today and is the reason companies like Comcast exist in the first place and are able to extort them for money. Especially when almost all of their content is from the original source models and audio. Imagine what MB would be if we had that.  The fact you pre-ordered makes me sick. NEVER PRE-ORDER. The reason for pre-orders doesn't exist anymore with the advent of digital distribution. I guess what ever, people will do anything for their star wars fix even if its utter crap.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

Alright. I can see you won't be swayed. I guess you're okay with overpaying for something developers didn't take the time or money to make where most of their budget went into art assets. That is something that I feel is horribly wrong with consumers today and is the reason companies like Comcast exist in the first place and are able to extort them for money. Especially when almost all of their content is from the original source models and audio. Imagine what MB would be if we had that.  The fact you pre-ordered makes me sick. NEVER PRE-ORDER. The reason for pre-orders doesn't exist anymore with the advent of digital distribution. I guess what ever, people will do anything for their star wars fix even if its utter crap.

The game didn't feel anywhere near as half-assed is you claim it to be. In fact, the only game I can think of that is as polished as that is Knights of the Old Republic. I'm not entirely sure what you people are complaining about, but whatever it is, it's obviously something too insignificant for me to notice or care about. Sure, it's not a carbon-copy of the previous battlefront games, but I never wanted it to be. If you don't like the gameplay, I can respect that, but I wouldn't call the gameplay incomplete. As for the amount of content, if it had everything people wanted in it at launch, it would have to come out years from now. And from what I know about the game, there's enough content to keep me interested. I don't need 20+ maps. Now the lack of a server browser is a complaint for me, but i'll work around it. To me this game seems like it's worth that $70, and I think you guys are just nitpicking. As for pre-ordering, I see no problem with doing so once you know enough about the product, and I know a lot about the product. 

The game didn't feel anywhere near as half-assed is you claim it to be. In fact, the only game I can think of that is as polished as that is Knights of the Old Republic. I'm not entirely sure what you people are complaining about, but whatever it is, it's obviously something too insignificant for me to notice or care about. Sure, it's not a carbon-copy of the previous battlefront games, but I never wanted it to be. If you don't like the gameplay, I can respect that, but I wouldn't call the gameplay incomplete. As for the amount of content, if it had everything people wanted in it at launch, it would have to come out years from now. And from what I know about the game, there's enough content to keep me interested. I don't need 20+ maps. Now the lack of a server browser is a complaint for me, but i'll work around it. To me this game seems like it's worth that $70, and I think you guys are just nitpicking. As for pre-ordering, I see no problem with doing so once you know enough about the product, and I know a lot about the product. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lmobunOdWI9F1bGVGUjWZxwak0DxXjzUMgDsrA_TIgc/edit

Read this. Seriously read it. Every person I have talked to was like, holy crap I didn't realize 90% of this, these are good and well written. You aren't even looking at the valid complaints about it and are blindly falling into EA's trap just like they want you to. The only reason Battlefront doesn't have more is because they wanted to release it before the movie, rather than on a normal game development timeline. They put restrictions on themselves rather than just trying to make a good game and releasing it when it is finished. You see some of my things regarding First/Third person FOV options, or AT-AT crosshair aligning properly? Guess what, I made a system that does both of those in a couple hours for my new game and I'm not even a programmer. Not having things like that IS a half-assed product.

And you know enough about the product? Before full game reviews were even out because you tried a beta? Please man. Did you even see the Battlefield 4 Beta vs release? That was a massive shit show that took DICE almost an entire year to fix and like I mentioned in my post and link above, those flaws that were on Battlefield launch were in the beta, and they didn't even add the fixes DICE did recently. 

I'm not even capable of nitpicking for 13 pages, so I'm just going to throw that statement out of the window.

All I saw from this game were three things: Money Milking, Battlefield with a Star Wars skin on it, and Nostalgia Baiting *Glares at the Original Trilogy*. NEVER playing it. Saw some of the Beta stuff, and I'm NOT impressed. Plus...it's EA, the company that killed the Bioware that made KOTOR known for what it was and still is. Wake me when Lucasarts is brought back from the dead, thanks. Inb4 the Kotor 2 updates, that's JUST for Steam users from what I heard, correct me if I'm wrong on that part. Still not gonna try it even if so....*Goes into hibernation until EA loses the rights to Star Wars games.*

@@MaceMadunusus Nothing is perfect. I could come up with a list of problems just about as large for the previous Battlefront games, the Jedi Knight Games and even Movie Battles. The the majority of your complaints involve the GUI and PC-specific issues. I'm getting the game on the PS4. The remaining complaints are either personal preference or things that just don't matter to me. It's not that i'm a sucker for Star Wars products (though I must admit I kinda am one), it's that I try to focus on the good in things. There are quite a few things I don't like about the game, and you mentioned a lot of them. But I won't let that ruin it for me. I don't worry about gameplay or balance or accuracy. I just want to have fun playing the game. If you don't like it, that's fine. Just stop insulting me for liking it.

@@MaceMadunusus Nothing is perfect. I could come up with a list of problems just about as large for the previous Battlefront games, the Jedi Knight Games and even Movie Battles. The the majority of your complaints involve the GUI and PC-specific issues. I'm getting the game on the PS4. The remaining complaints are either personal preference or things that just don't matter to me. It's not that i'm a sucker for Star Wars products (though I must admit I kinda am one), it's that I try to focus on the good in things. There are quite a few things I don't like about the game, and you mentioned a lot of them. But I won't let that ruin it for me. I don't worry about gameplay or balance or accuracy. I just want to have fun playing the game. If you don't like it, that's fine. Just stop insulting me for liking it.

The UI covers 2.5 of 13 pages. And the rest of it definitely isn't just PC issues. Half of the things, especially the level design stuff is far from personal preference and you're just dismissing it all on the basis of that. I kinda started level design 12 years ago you know that right? It isn't like it is a new topic to me. Kinda know what I'm talking about there. Want to see what a lot of effort it takes to creating good balanced levels? Check out Dirty Bomb. Battlefront doesn't even come close.

You can like the game, and I would like the game if it was a $30 release from an indie team as that is what this game actually is. It isn't AAA quality and nor does it have the content to justify a $60 purchase. I'm never going to insult someone for liking a game. You can like what you want. You are a complete idiot for pre-ordering though. If you want to have even better games STOP PRE-ORDERING

I disagree that it is only a $30 value, but this has become pointless. Neither of us are changing our opinions, so we might as well end this conversation.

You completely missed the point where EA is going to be making a 70-80% profit on it. Which means the value per box is $12-18. It becomes $30 because they still have to make a profit. BUT OKAY LETS IGNORE THAT.

You cannot disagree that it is only a $30 value. There is no opinion for that. It is a fact that based on numbers alone, you are overpaying.

You completely missed the point where EA is going to be making a 70-80% profit on it. Which means the value per box is $12-18. It becomes $30 because they still have to make a profit. BUT OKAY LETS IGNORE THAT.

You cannot disagree that it is only a $30 value. There is no opinion for that. It is a fact that based on numbers alone, you are overpaying.

@@MaceMadunusus is it just us, or do people just wanna brush EA's shitstorm with Battlefield 4 under the rug just so they can be biased and give their money to the WORST Video Game Company ever? That golden trophy statue isn't just the only proof of how much EA sucks.  

@@MaceMadunusus is it just us, or do people just wanna brush EA's shitstorm with Battlefield 4 under the rug just so they can be biased and give their money to the WORST Video Game Company ever? That golden trophy statue isn't just the only proof of how much EA sucks.  

Wait, don't you mean brushing Warfighter, Battlefield 4, Hardline, Mass Effect 3, Sim City, Sims 4, Titanfall, Need for Speed, The Old Republic, under the rug?

You guys need to chill out. The game hasn't even come out and you're at each others' throats.

I'm never going to insult someone for liking a game. You can like what you want. You are a complete idiot for pre-ordering though. If you want to have even better games STOP PRE-ORDERING

Okay, so you called me an idiot because I preordered. Why is that different than just buying it when it releases? Why does that make me an idiot? The game looks great, so I'm going to buy it. That's how it works. 

I swore to myself I'd stay out of this thread but meh.

You guys need to chill out. The game hasn't even come out and you're at each others' throats.

Okay, so you called me an idiot because I preordered. Why is that different than just buying it when it releases? Why does that make me an idiot? The game looks great, so I'm going to buy it. That's how it works. 

I swore to myself I'd stay out of this thread but meh.

Because buying at release time usually means theres reviews out for the game provided there is no post-release embargos (and in which case is usually a dead giveaway that the game is crap like batman arkham knight and assassins creed unity) that include the full content more than just the beta. Like for example, Total Biscuit could have his review out on release which gives you a more full picture of what the game is like than a few trailers. Read reviews before you buy anything people. That is why you are an idiot if you preorder. Do you go buy PC parts without reading reviews? Nope.  Do you go buy a car without reading reviews to see if it has high maintenance for example, nope. Would you go to a movie if you knew the reviews were crap (I'm not talking about the meh 5-7 range, more like a 2-3/10 range)? Nope. Should you buy anything without reading reviews? nope. Then why are you doing it with a video game?!

Are reviews out for Battlefront yet? Nope. Then should you buy? Nope.

Video is 2 years old but a lot still applies. Protect yourself. The pre-order bonuses are not worth you potentially getting figuratively shot in the gut by a terrible game.